U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,292,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
mmmmmm, squid! I made squid stuffed with crabmeat. onions, poblano pepper, old bay, and bread crumbs. Rolled it in flour, then egg wash, and finally in panko, and fried it. Talk about yummy, just like a crab cake, only better!
If you like broiled squid try this dish.

Calamari Ripieni

2 1/2 pounds fresh squid, cleaned, tentacles removed and chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced, plus 1 lemon, quartered
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
4 salt-packed anchovies, rinsed, patted dry and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs 1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil, for grilling
Drizzle the squid bodies with the lemon juice and set aside.
Preheat the grill or broiler. In a large mixing bowl, combine the tentacles, lemon zest, herbs, anchovies, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, a judicious amount of salt and black pepper to taste and mix well to combine thoroughly. Using a small spoon or pastry bag, stuff the reserved squid bodies with the filling. Using a toothpick, fasten the bodies closed. Brush the squid with plenty of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil 20 minutes, turning at least once. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.

You can substitute shrimp for the anchovies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:49 PM

44,394 posts, read 35,479,802 times
It's too late for the "never have" part, as far as I am concerned. The "never will" now comes into play. There are foods I'll never eat again. Those are eggplant, sweet potatoes, liver, and lamb. I just don't care for the taste.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,707,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
If you like broiled squid try this dish.

Calamari Ripieni

2 1/2 pounds fresh squid, cleaned, tentacles removed and chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced, plus 1 lemon, quartered
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
4 salt-packed anchovies, rinsed, patted dry and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs 1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil, for grilling
Drizzle the squid bodies with the lemon juice and set aside.
Preheat the grill or broiler. In a large mixing bowl, combine the tentacles, lemon zest, herbs, anchovies, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, a judicious amount of salt and black pepper to taste and mix well to combine thoroughly. Using a small spoon or pastry bag, stuff the reserved squid bodies with the filling. Using a toothpick, fasten the bodies closed. Brush the squid with plenty of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil 20 minutes, turning at least once. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.

You can substitute shrimp for the anchovies.
Oh, my! I just copied and pasted that into my recipe file..... thanks for sharing!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:55 AM

46 posts, read 139,809 times
Anything from Jack in the Box, I throw up if I eat stuff from there. Cow/animal tongue, brains, eyeballs, organs, tripe, all of the things on the list quoted above and that worm cheese :S

Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM

289 posts, read 1,378,886 times
Onions. If they are mixed into something, fine. I will not eat any onion by itself.

Calamari is awesome.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 PM

44,394 posts, read 35,479,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doily View Post
Anything from Jack in the Box, ........

I hear you. That franchise has not been the same since about the mid-70's, when the Jumbo Jack was greatness. Not anymore. Give me a Big Mac any day.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:33 PM

690 posts, read 2,358,664 times
Off the top of my head....

Never tried and never will: chitlins (have friends who eat this - EW), liver, snails, frog legs, raw oysters

Tried and never will again: raw onion, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, the flowery part of broccoli, boiled okra, lima beans, beets, canned spinach, California rolls

Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 AM

150 posts, read 658,105 times
Liver, never!

When my husband eats it I can't even sleep with him because I smell it all night (I guess it's in my mind, but it's so gross)!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or