U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 PM

8,176 posts, read 7,476,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, do they still sell it or has it been taken off the market? Because I'll take my chances rather than give up chips.
Why would you give up chips if you love them?

Eat in moderation.

Eat Cape Cod low fat chips.

Eat Baked Lays.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:17 PM

5,120 posts, read 12,728,919 times
Olestra passes thru your system, and can (and does) cause intestinal issues!

Just eat less.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 PM

4,859 posts, read 3,717,072 times
Almonds. Pork Rinds.

Fat is not the enemy. Sugar is the enemy.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:29 AM

3,183 posts, read 3,350,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
All I recall was the warning:

"May cause oily discharge and the inability to control it..."

Frito-Lay Study: Olestra Causes "Anal Oil Leakage"
I once read a personal account written by a woman who produced a copious amount of red-colored anal discharge after a meal with Olestra and allowed it to seep into her seat on a commercial flight.

Think about that the next time you sit on a plane seat or bus seat

Old 06-30-2016, 03:18 AM

1,270 posts, read 1,252,891 times
It a sad commentary when you seek out , fake fat, fake sugar, fake color, and fake flavors!

We should ask ourselves why, convenience? , To lazy to cook real food?

Of course someone will say , GMO , pesticides , antibiotics will kill you and who can afford organic food?

At some point if you live long enough life eventually will do you in...

All I know from experience is, moderation in food, drink, excerise, and there still is no guarantee.

My solution, is to occasionally indulge in the real thing! You only live once.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 AM

925 posts, read 463,092 times
Remembered being incredulous after reading the Olestra warning label on the chip bags when it first was introduced. Decided to Google it and now I remember why:

Starting in 1996, an FDA-mandated health warning label read "This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools (anal leakage). Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added".

You may want to try a different weight loss approach unless you're already wearing Depends.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:23 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,695,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"I have also seen dehydrated veggies in bags. They are crunchy like potato chips try those too. Eat almonds, wasabi peas are great too and have a crunch, Ceci beans which are dried chick peas are also crispy and have some salt."

EXPENSIVE.
Well I'd rather spend a little more than eat that Olestra garbage and have it go through me. JMO.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM

7,090 posts, read 3,786,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Almonds. Pork Rinds.

Fat is not the enemy. Sugar is the enemy.
How is that? Because I love candy, too!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM

8,161 posts, read 6,016,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Remembered being incredulous after reading the Olestra warning label on the chip bags when it first was introduced. Decided to Google it and now I remember why:

Starting in 1996, an FDA-mandated health warning label read "This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools (anal leakage). Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added".

You may want to try a different weight loss approach unless you're already wearing Depends.
Remember the "Alli" weight loss pill? Think it's still on the market.. but it, along with Olestra, is responsible for introducing the term "Anal Leakage" or "Anal Seepage" into our lexicon.

I seem to recall people using Alli referring to the problems as an "Alli-oops"

Old 04-07-2017, 02:40 PM

7,145 posts, read 5,953,480 times
I never had a problem with olestra and wish I could buy it in oil form say in the baking aisle so I could fry with it. People are willing to eat chicory root, sorbitol, and other compounds which have a far worse affect on me personally.

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Sugar-...ews/B008JELLCA

So these sugar free candies, fiber enhanced bars like the "Fiber One" bars, sugar free ice cream, and other items which make my intestines explode are still on the market but olestra is not, which did nothing except leak a little when I made stool. I mean it's not like bacteria ferment the stuff like they do sugar alcohols or fibers.

I believe in calories in, calories out, so it would be nice when I'm trying to cut to use it to fry items to reduce calories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or