U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:27 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,863,452 times

Advertisements

Is Olestra bad for you? Has it been proven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,713,055 times
I never tried it after I read that one side effect is "anal leakage."

Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Is it even still on the market? I thought P&G filed that under O for "Oops."

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,863,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is it even still on the market? I thought P&G filed that under O for "Oops."
Yes it is, there was a lot about it in the press a while ago but all has gone quiet. Wondered if the initial complaints were ever upheld?

I saw some Lays potato chips in the store today with 'Olestra' and 'Olean' proudly stamped on the packaging, so guess it's now considered harmless?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Yes it is, there was a lot about it in the press a while ago but all has gone quiet. Wondered if the initial complaints were ever upheld?

I saw some Lays potato chips in the store today with 'Olestra' and 'Olean' proudly stamped on the packaging, so guess it's now considered harmless?
Apparently in 2003 the FDA allowed them to remove the anal leakage warning label. I also just learned that it's a soy and sugar derived product. That explains the intestinal problems as unfermented soy is difficult (impossible?) to digest. I always get stomach cramps after eating edamame, though they taste so good I'll eat them anyway. I still don't think I want any Olean, but the FDA is giving you the go-ahead.

Olestra to shed warning labels

Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
I have eaten plenty of the "Olean" chips before and I have never had any intestinal problems. They were being sold under the "Wow!" name, but I can never find them anymore.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
Default Olestra?

I'm trying to lose a few pounds, but am finding that missing my salty, crunchy snacks is a real problem. Suddenly I remember OLESTRA, the miracle fake fat. What a great idea! The product was called "Wow!" as I recall. But when I go to Google it, all I see are health warnings. Aside from the laxative effect when consumed to excess, is this legit or just more hysterical health hype, and can you still buy the product?

Old 06-29-2016, 12:02 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
What about popcorn? That makes a decent snack that's somewhat healthier than potato chips.

I haven't seen any potato chips with olestra for a year or two. Besides the laxative effect, olestra was shown to remove some fat-soluble vitamins from the body.

A measured portion of regular potato chips isn't a dealbreaker when you're trying to lose weight. The bad thing about potato chips is grabbing the whole bag and munching until it's all gone, so if you buy single serving bags and let yourself have one a day, you can have what you want without overdoing it.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:03 PM

33,546 posts, read 51,750,301 times
There must be a valid reason why one of the common additive banned in other countries but allowed in the U.S. is Olestra, which essentially is a fat substitute found in products that traditionally have actual fat.

For example, low-fat potato chips like Ruffles Lite, Lays Wow and Pringles fat-free chips all contain Olestra - which is shown to cause the depletion of fat-soluble vitamins. Different brands of fat-free ice cream and mayonnaise at one time also contain the chemical.
Olestra has been banned in several countries, including the United Kingdom and Canada.

One word: yuck!

NOTE: Normally occurring only by excessive consumption in a short period of time.
However - Consumption of Olestra may encourage to eat too much of foods containing regular fats, due to the learning of an incorrect association between fat intake and calories, which could actually lead to weight gain.

Last edited by elnina; 06-29-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 12:08 PM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
But how often - and how many - would you have to eat before you'd have a valid concern about "depletion of your fat-soluble vitamins"? Most people don't make a steady diet of these snacks... Sounds a little Nanny State to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or