Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times

Advertisements

There aren't as many buffets in my area as there used to be.

Several of the chain buffets have had health department violations for not keeping food at the proper (safe) temperature, failing to use only clean containers when putting out fresh food (instead of dumping fresh food into empty food containers or on top of nearly empty containers) on the buffet, or mixing leftover food from one day with fresh food for the next day.

The Ryan's buffet near our home was closed for two weeks while all employees took food handling safety classes. That particular Ryan's location had the practice of saving the leftover scrambled eggs from one day and then mixing in with fresh scrambled eggs the next day.

I am too much of a germaphobe to enjoy a buffet........all those people touching the serving utensils bothers me. And parents often don't watch their kids, them kids put their sticky fingers into everything.

The food quality at buffets usually isn't as good as most traditional restaurants either. We have all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets for $5.99 here, and common sense should tell you that you won't be getting quality food for that price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We have a couple of popular buffets in town. We have tried each of them once. To me they are like eating at the trough. It is not something I enjoy. There are people who want a lot of food for a small amount of money, and are not picky about quality. I'm not one of those people. I am eager to try the new Indian buffet in town because I can get an overview of the cuisine.

If I were traveling with a bunch of kids, I think a buffet would be perfect. I have traveled to sports events with a bunch of jr high boys and it's fun to watch them tackle a buffet.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:42 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I am too much of a germaphobe to enjoy a buffet........all those people touching the serving utensils bothers me. And parents often don't watch their kids, them kids put their sticky fingers into everything.
Not a buffet, but at a restaurant with a salad bar once I saw a kid stick the communal spoon from the jello into her mouth and then back in the jello. Sure, people are less likely to do that with actual salad fixings, but it still gives you pause.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I don't like Buffets at all and others probably don't either. Being in Health Care--I'm germ conscious, not a germaphobe, but aware of what could get transmitted. Open areas like that, esp. w/ so many "bugs" that are out there and people w/ germy hands perhaps messing in there. No thanks!

Old 12-02-2016, 03:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I don't like Buffets at all and others probably don't either. Being in Health Care--I'm germ conscious, not a germaphobe, but aware of what could get transmitted. Open areas like that, esp. w/ so many "bugs" that are out there and people w/ germy hands perhaps messing in there. No thanks!
isn't that how we build up our defense bacteria??

a vaccine assimilates what the actual disease is to build up defenses....???

Old 12-02-2016, 03:31 PM

I love buffets,,,,,too much

love the great wall Chinese buffet,,,,,,but

too easy to eat too many plates ,,,,,over 4-5 plates....and I'm stuffed for a day

Old 12-02-2016, 03:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
My dad loved buffet restaurants, so we always used to go when I was a kid. When we went to restaurants that weren't buffets, my mom had a $1 limit for each kid for fast food and $3 limit for each kid for other restaurants (you could usually get a potato for $3 at the ribs place or a bowl of egg drop soup at the Chinese place). So the buffet meant we actually got to eat a decent amount of food and my mother couldn't set those limits for us.

I've only been to a buffet a couple of times as an adult. I think most people who have a healthy relationship with food find buffets to be unappealing. It's only appealing if you want an unlimited amount of food. The quality is lacking, there are issues with food safety and sometimes you can really tell they're serving leftovers that should have been discarded.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
isn't that how we build up our defense bacteria??

a vaccine assimilates what the actual disease is to build up defenses....???
My sister and her husband get the "stomach flu" 5 or 6 times a year from restaurants. This has been happening for at least 15 years, so I don't think they're building defenses.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:49 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
No different then fast food or deli type convenience stores food is out in the open all day.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
No different then fast food or deli type convenience stores food is out in the open all day.
yes there is a difference,,,in the deli departments,,,the deli meats are in a refrigerated case....under 40 degrees,,

bacteria danger zone is 40-140 degrees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink