Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 11:54 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'm hoping this is okay and you all can help me out.

It's finally cold here in the PNW and that means slow cooker season. However, this year, I purchased a programmable slow cooker. It's overall great, but the beeping noise it makes freaks my dogs out! To them, it sounds like the smoke detector, which they also hate.

I'll try to put it in perspective. The slow cooker sounds like the smoke alarm, just not as loud. The microwave doesn't bother them. The oven timer doesn't bother them. Even my water pot and rice cooker beeping doesn't bother them. But for whatever reason, Crock-pot's beeping in close enough to the smoke detector that my dogs are freaked out.

I seriously am ready to ditch this thing. But before I do, for anyone that has a programmable slow cooker, does your's have a lower pitched beeping noise? If it's lower pitched, what brand is it or what model and brand?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We just got a new Instapot, and the manual shows that it defaults to beep on, but can be shut off. It's also a pressure cooker. The device we are stuck with that's very loud and won't turn off is the Cuisinart vertical waffle iron. We love it, and have no dogs any more, however. When we did, over the last 40 years, we tried to get them used to odd noises early on as puppies, and they seemed fine with it throughout their lives. I suppose you could try giving the dogs a treat whenever it goes off, maybe they will look forward to it.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We just got a new Instapot, and the manual shows that it defaults to beep on, but can be shut off. It's also a pressure cooker. The device we are stuck with that's very loud and won't turn off is the Cuisinart vertical waffle iron. We love it, and have no dogs any more, however. When we did, over the last 40 years, we tried to get them used to odd noises early on as puppies, and they seemed fine with it throughout their lives. I suppose you could try giving the dogs a treat whenever it goes off, maybe they will look forward to it.
Thanks. We've been working on the sound issue with the dogs, but one is super skittish so it's a slow progress. I just don't feel that torturing her is the way to go either and buying a new slow cooker is easy enough to help with her issues as we work on them.

As for turning the sound off, I haven't been able to find anything. The instruction booklet leaves lots to be desired, like decent instructions. No mention of disabling the sound.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks. We've been working on the sound issue with the dogs, but one is super skittish so it's a slow progress. I just don't feel that torturing her is the way to go either and buying a new slow cooker is easy enough to help with her issues as we work on them.

As for turning the sound off, I haven't been able to find anything. The instruction booklet leaves lots to be desired, like decent instructions. No mention of disabling the sound.
try a search on google..

or even youtube,,

loud noises are very annoying I'm sure many are frustrated

Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
try a search on google..

or even youtube,,

That's what I was going to suggest too, smart guy.

psichick, what's the brand and model of the machine? I'll try to find it for you.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:46 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
That's what I was going to suggest too, smart guy.

psichick, what's the brand and model of the machine? I'll try to find it for you.
That's what I was going to say too, smart chick.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
try a search on google..

or even youtube,,

Trust me, I've done a ton of searching. I wouldn't have posted in a message board otherwise. I realize other people may start here, but to me, this is always a last resort.

I haven't tried YT, but I will look at that. Otherwise, everything online talks about everything else. I realize no one cares about the beeping sound it makes. Maybe I should have posted on a dog message board first, haha. They'd be aware of beeping noises, especially if they have a fearful dog

Last edited by psichick; 12-09-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 02:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Trust me, I've done a ton of searching. I wouldn't have posted in a message board otherwise. I realize other people may start here, but to me, this is always a last resort.

I haven't tried YT, but I will look at that. Otherwise, everything online talks about everything else. I realize no one cares about the beeping sound it makes. Maybe I should have posted on a dog message board first.
Oh my gosh, I'm sorry if you felt insulted. That wasn't the intent at all, I promise.

I care -- the beeping would drive me crazy. And if my dog were still alive, he'd go bonkers. I get it. Seriously.

Please, please, please: Post the brand and model number. I want to search for you. I love a good puzzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink