Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 07:02 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everyone has seen that term before: "boneless wings". Many places from casual dining restaurants to fast food joints to dive bars, use that term on their menu when they serve those things. But far more often than not, they aren't wings at all, despite being served with sauce and blue cheese (or ranch). At best, they're chicken tenders of a similar shape made of solid breast meat. At worst, they're highly processed chicken nuggets that look nothing like wings. Maybe Pizza Hut's Bone-Out Wings are actual chicken wings with the bones extracted (correct me if I'm wrong), in which case, the term would be 100% accurate. But most restaurants don't do that. Usually, it's just tenders or nuggets.

I can't be the only one who thinks there's some falsehood, not to mention a contradiction, in the term "boneless wings". (When they're not actual wings with the bones removed.) Agree or disagree? It could be just a marketing term, but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 07:17 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
I had them as appetizers at a Thai restaurant, they were delicious, and were truly deboned (and stuffed and fried with a delicious sauce)...

Old 12-06-2016, 07:28 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
I just can't come to terms with thinking this is a big deal

Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
And while we're at it, I've never seen wings on a buffalo either.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
"Why do they keep calling them 'boneless wings?'"

Because they don't expect people to take the term literally and then become perplexed when they can't reconcile "boneless" with "wings."

Old 12-06-2016, 07:38 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
In the world of Fast Food, it's become common for companies to sell Chicken Wings, including what they call "Boneless" wings. However, these boneless wings are simply breaded pieces of chicken breast.
But you can easily debone real chicken wings (fried or baked) in just few seconds and enjoy the real, boleness thing: find the end with the protruding cartilage and tear it off. Now, the bones should be a bit loose. Next, wiggle the smaller bone holding the opposite end firmly and it'll pull out, void of any flesh. Then do the same for the remaining bone, until all you're left with is 100% chicken wing meat

Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
And while we're at it, I've never seen wings on a buffalo either.
It's not named after the buffalo that roam on the home on the range. It's named after Buffalo, NY. That's the city where buffalo wings were first invented. Over time, the capitalization was lost. The giant four-legged animal has nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Because they don't expect people to take the term literally and then become perplexed when they can't reconcile "boneless" with "wings."
I can reconcile those words just fine. I was talking about the usage of the words "wings" when those are actually breast meat.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:00 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's not named after the buffalo that roam on the home on the range. It's named after Buffalo, NY. That's the city where buffalo wings were first invented. Over time, the capitalization was lost. The giant four-legged animal has nothing to do with it.
But wait -- Buffalo Wild Wings' logo has a buffalo with wings on it. I'm so confused

Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
in mixed company at a restaurant.....most women I know do not like eating with their hands
whether its chicken wings,,,,or pork ribs...

much rather use a fork and knife (much neater and cleaner)

so I see many women order the boneless wings when the guys are ordering the regular wings......

Old 12-06-2016, 08:27 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"Why do they keep calling them 'boneless wings?'"

That's ridiculous. It never occurred to me until I saw this thread that anyone would not take the term literally. I certainly did. The people marketing these things surely expected people to think they were wings with the bones removed; otherwise they would have called them chicken nuggets or tenders or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink