Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:51 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,449,750 times

Advertisements

Rum Balls (thanks, Aery11 for the reminder!) are a good idea.

You could also do Oreo Truffles. You'd need a food processor, though.

1 package Oreos (I only use the regular ones) - it should make about 3 cups of crumbs - 36 cookies the technical recipe says. I just buy a package and use 'em.)
1 8 oz. block of Cream Cheese, softened
Whatever Chocolate (White, Milk, Dark, whatever - I usually use Baker's Semi-sweet since it's what I usually have) you want to dip them in

Put Oreos in food processor and make into crumbs. Add cream cheese and combine until thoroughly mixed.

Roll into 1" balls, dip in chocolate. Put them on wax paper to dry.

Usually, I have my husband make these - he just LOVES it! He gets to play with the food processor, play with food with his hands, and then play with melted chocolate. By the time he's done, he's sick to his stomach - he has to taste them as he goes (1 out of every 3 or so) to make sure he's rolling them right or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 12:47 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Rum Balls (thanks, Aery11 for the reminder!) are a good idea.

You could also do Oreo Truffles. You'd need a food processor, though.

1 package Oreos (I only use the regular ones) - it should make about 3 cups of crumbs - 36 cookies the technical recipe says. I just buy a package and use 'em.)
1 8 oz. block of Cream Cheese, softened
Whatever Chocolate (White, Milk, Dark, whatever - I usually use Baker's Semi-sweet since it's what I usually have) you want to dip them in

Put Oreos in food processor and make into crumbs. Add cream cheese and combine until thoroughly mixed.

Roll into 1" balls, dip in chocolate. Put them on wax paper to dry.

Usually, I have my husband make these - he just LOVES it! He gets to play with the food processor, play with food with his hands, and then play with melted chocolate. By the time he's done, he's sick to his stomach - he has to taste them as he goes (1 out of every 3 or so) to make sure he's rolling them right or something.

I've made these sooo many times when my children were younger. They are quite good and I don't think anyone ever guessed how easy they were to make!

Old 12-09-2016, 12:58 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
I'm making ALL my cookie dough this weekend, rolling the dough into balls, freezing them on a cookie sheet and then storing them in a bag in the freezer to bake later. Never had a problem with doing this with any cookie. Just add a couple minutes to the baking time.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:13 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
I forgot to ask - how are you travelling? Something that would work to transport in a car will be different than what would go on a plane.

And I forgot to say - only about three miles from my house to assemble the cookie trays, at church. Then after the sale, depending upon who buys the trays - it's anyone's guess.

Our Christmas cookie fundraiser is pretty popular around here. This is my first year as a participant. The instructions were "cookies or bars that are attractive and travel well". Partly because we don't know where they are going after the sale - they could be shipped someplace for all I know,

The women who are baking with me are all very experienced bakers. One was actually selected to bake and decorate, along with about 200 other women,at the White House 20 years ago.

Two are trained chefs, and one actually has a second professional chef's kitchen in her finished basement that is inspected by the health department, because she sells cookies commercially from there!

And then there is me . I was asked to participate by one of these women on the basis of several cakes and pies that I have taken to varies events. Things I've been baking since I was a child.

Incidentally, I am the youngest of the group - and I'm in my 50s.

So this whole thing is making me nervous.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:21 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I put ALL cookies I make into the freezer. They will keep for months. Just pop out a few as you need them.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:24 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I put ALL cookies I make into the freezer. They will keep for months. Just pop out a few as you need them.
"Just pop out a few as you need them."

That's where I have a problem -- defining "few" and "need" -- because I really love cookies.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,322,561 times
I deliver a ton of cookie trays and tins each Christmas. I make a lot of my cookies from scratch but I do cheat on a few. I used to make this one from scratch. One year I cheated and used Pillsbury Peppermint Sugar Cookie dough. No complaints so Ive been using it ever since. This is a really pretty cookie.

Peppermint Sugar Cookies

One Roll Pillsbury Peppermint Sugar Cookie Dough
1/2 to 1 cup +/- Candy Canes crushed

Heat oven to 350°F.

Unwrap and cut dough in 1 inch slices. {I use a wooden ruler to measure for uniform size cookies}
Cut each slice in four parts. Roll each part into ball.
On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart.
Flatten balls and sprinkle tops with crushed candy canes.
Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
Cool completely.

Note
Don't smash the candy canes too much. You want chunks and pieces not powder.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:54 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

That's where I have a problem -- defining "few" and "need" -- because I really love cookies.
same here....tough to exercise restraint with cookies (and pie)

Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,449,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

When I do make cookies, they never make it to a freezer. You all have SEEN some of the stuff I'll call "breakfast" - a dozen cookies really aren't that big of a stretch.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
When I do make cookies, they never make it to a freezer. You all have SEEN some of the stuff I'll call "breakfast" - a dozen cookies really aren't that big of a stretch.
You don't have to officially adopt me or anything (I might even be older than you are), but I'd like to come live at your house if that's okay with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink