U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:13 PM

15,566 posts, read 8,742,257 times

Advertisements

I made a huge pot of farro and black-eyed pea soup a few days ago, and I've been noshing on that. So good! I think it may be my new favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 05:28 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Here's the problem I have with 15-bean soup: all the beans have different cooking times and procedures.

First of all, you have to boil the kidney beans, cannellini beans, and lima beans to remove their toxicity (Phytohaemagglutinin). The boiling turns other beans, like navy beans, to mush. And the split peas and lentils, forget it - they will have dissolved long before the rest of the beans have cooked, which is okay because they act as a thickener.

Having said that, I think it tastes great even if half the beans are overcooked.

Have you tried making it in the crockpot? I buy the 15 bean mix, and cook them that way, after a long soak, & add hamhock, onions, carrots & garlic. It always turns out delicious.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 AM

1,524 posts, read 778,267 times
A bowl of hot soup spicy ramen with dumplings/ pork ribs/ prawns and clams.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:51 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Have you tried making it in the crockpot? I buy the 15 bean mix, and cook them that way, after a long soak, & add hamhock, onions, carrots & garlic. It always turns out delicious.
I never said it wasn't delicious. I was commenting on the cooking requirements for each of the varieties of beans/peas.

BTW - A crock pot won't get rid of the Phytohaemagglutinin in the kidney beans and lima beans, but I suppose there aren't many in the 15-bean mix.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:27 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
The colder it gets, the better all those foods that are too dense and hot to eat during the summer. Pasta comes immediately to mind, and mashed potatoes. And it's a great time for cooking aromas. My son is making some gingerbread cookies for tonight's dessert - I love the smell of them cooking at least as much as I enjoy eating them.

Oh...

And imperial stout...

Old 12-14-2016, 02:40 PM

3,098 posts, read 1,466,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
The colder it gets, the better all those foods that are too dense and hot to eat during the summer. Pasta comes immediately to mind, and mashed potatoes. And it's a great time for cooking aromas. My son is making some gingerbread cookies for tonight's dessert - I love the smell of them cooking at least as much as I enjoy eating them.
The temp is going to be in the teens when we go out with friends to their club tonight. I think I'm going to have the meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:36 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,056,053 times
really craving spaghetti ( I use a combo of pesto, ground beef and bulk italian sausage for my meat base for the sauce- need to go get sausage),

also thin crepes or just toast with mascarpone and raspberry jam,

stew, curry, ramen for hot liquedy meals....

Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 PM

9,863 posts, read 5,777,142 times
Chili (especially hubby's)
Hot cocoa (even with marshmallow/whip cream mix)

Other soups paired with grilled ham & cheese or even toasted PB&jelly or PB and Fluff

Lasagne

Peppermint mocha (Starbucks seasonal drinks)

Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
pot roast in the slow cooker, chicken with dumplings, pancakes.
Hot popcorn. Cocoa. Any kind of soup.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have been on a soup and stew bender this past week. Can't get enough of it - beef stew, cream of butternut quash, corn chowder, red curry soup with shrimp, even cheapie ramen will do it for me in a pinch.

I recently made a chili with extra lean grass fed beef, tweaked my usual recipe by adding both Hungarian sweet paprika and smoked Spanish paprika in addition to the usual chili powder and celery flakes and the result was so tasty we ended up finishing the whole batch in one sitting. I sprinkled crumbles of blue cheese on top (don't know what came over me) and must say the result was fantastic.
I'm on a smoked Spanish paprika kick lately. It's amazing on egg dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink