Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
The most formal meal we do is Thanksgiving. I set a full formal table usually for around 20! We serve family style staggering where I start bowls. I do not sit instead I "bus" the table as needed.
For every other large meal I lay out a buffet. I set it up with plates at the beginning. I still clear the table as needed but in a more casual manner.
For everyday meals with our family I do pretty much the same as you.
You sound like spoiled brats aunt. She always spent her time busing the tables, making sure their was plenty of food and cleaning up. Of course we helped her clean up. Good for you, I am way to selfish to not sit down and enjoy the meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 05:00 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good for you. As a guest I am nervous with the hostess hopping around waiting on perfectly capable adults. That is why I like buffet.
either works for us: buffet or sit down as I have mentioned before. We do the buffet when we have a lot of people, especially in the summer months; I too feel a little uncomfortable when the hostess doesn't join us. I guess it is everyone to him/her self. What works in some families doesn't work in other families.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:34 AM

4,677 posts, read 3,437,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
either works for us: buffet or sit down as I have mentioned before. We do the buffet when we have a lot of people, especially in the summer months; I too feel a little uncomfortable when the hostess doesn't join us. I guess it is everyone to him/her self. What works in some families doesn't work in other families.
I used to try to sit at Thanksgiving and I do sit at every other meal. I found I have too much nervous energy and it helps me to keep constantly busy. Also with so many people at two large tables pushed together and with four courses it just runs so much smoother. So really I'm just being selfish!

Old 12-15-2016, 07:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,850,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I bet !!

as kids,,,we were a little on the poor side to go out to eat.....
so

when I had a son,,,every sunday morning we would go out to breakfast at a local diner- since he was around 5... till high school

I would let him order "anything he wanted off the menu" and I would also have the same thing

the place would be packed many kids with parents....and their we were eating the largest hot fudge sundae they could make... that's what my son wanted so we both had it,,

every kid in the place was looking over with a long face,,,,,,,,saying "i want that"!!! I want that!! and the parents would give me dirty looks .... lol

I miss those times too
My very wise Daddy would say "Your stomach doesn't have a clock"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink