U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:31 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,785,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I'd like to know what "genre" of food(s) each American city is most known for. The food doesn't necessarily have to be ethnic, for example, Philadelphia is known for Philadelphia cheesesteaks. Or how about New York being known for their cheesecakes? Yeah, foods include dessert.

This topic can be a little self-explanatory regarding certain cities like Miami and Los Angeles which have multitudes of hispanics and therefore, Cuban and Mexican food (respectively) are probably what ethnic foods these cities are known for. But what about our more subtle American cities when it comes to what foods they're known for such as Indianapolis, or Minneapolis, or Annapolis? Or even Las Vegas? How about Salt Lake City, where more than half the population is Mormon?

Is Omaha really known for steaks? is Kentucky really known for chicken? We need culinary correctness!
Minneapolis - Vietnamese, East African. I wouldn't say the city is FAMOUS for these cuisines, but the large population of immigrants from S.E. Asia and Somalia mean these foods are readily found, and probably of higher quality or selection than most other American cities (and probably any other in the case of Somali food, with probably 15 - 20 Somali eating establishments).

Minnesota as a whole has lutefisk and lefse. Far northern Minnesota (Iron Range) specialties include pasties, potica, and porketta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 AM

2,937 posts, read 2,918,997 times
Scranton: great Italian food, lots of family-run mom-and-pop Italian restaurants. And of course: Old Forge Pizza.

I feel sorry for people who live in places where the best option for pizza is chain crap like Domino's and Pizza Hut, and where their idea of Italian food is Olive Garden.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,808,449 times
Where we currently live in the midwest- pork tenderloins are a big thing...

Being a vegetarian I have never had one, nor want to.

Also, chain restaurants are a big thing here as well, it is a major testing market for chain restaurants. Yes, you may feel sorry for me now.

Needless to say, we travel quite a bit, and really enjoy eating out when we do! Oh, so excited to move this summer!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM

44,678 posts, read 43,215,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
northrn New Jersye--Italian and diners
Not a fan of diners, but Italian food I do like.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,271,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not a fan of diners, but Italian food I do like.
i think diners are nice cause you can get anything you feel like and dont all have to agree before going out to eat--open all night etc...lots of good things about them. but only if they are clean!
i have been to a bad one or too...yuck

Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 PM

63 posts, read 225,087 times
Salt Lake City (well the mormons at least): jello salad, usually green with shredded carrot. Have also had it with shredded cheddar cheese. YUK!
Also fry sauce. About one quarter ketchup and three quarters mayo mixed together, used for dipping french fries. Completely delicious.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:29 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,163,854 times
my girlfriend is from the 4 corners area of New Mexico and she said they eat the fry sauce too,I has never heard of it though.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,203,274 times
Northeastern NJ is known for the deep fried Hawt Dawg

Rutt's Hutt, Callahan's, Hirams, Jolly Nick's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or