Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We've been eating the leftovers from our Fiftieth Anniversary Party for too long now and are finally done. Both of us were starving for Asian food.

I don't even remember the last time I made the old-fashioned, American-style chow mein of my childhood. Sometimes I get hungry for the only Chinese food I ever had as a child which was made by nearly the only authentic Chinese family in southern MN in a restaurant in Albert Lea MN. It was Cantonese style.

I loved to go there. It was just about my only multi-culti experience in our very homogenous surroundings. Grandpa and grandma wore their traditional clothing and he took the payments near the door figuring out everyone's bill on an abacus. What an exotic delight!

The kids would come in to help after school and they were very much American kids. They went on to excel in their various endeavors in later life. One, Eleanor Wong Telemarque, wrote an amusing and informative book about the intergenerational family's experiences called, "It's Crazy to stay Chinese in Minnesota." And I only learned recently that a member of the family was called before the House Un-American Activities Committee for sending money back to China to support Chiang Kai-shek. Grandpa also marched in the annual Memorial Day Parade carrying the American flag in full Chinese regalia. What a wide bridge they straddled!

Sometime around the '80s trends in Asian food here switched over to Szechuan style and those bland Mandarin and Cantonese dishes disappeared from the restaurant scene except in the larger cities.

So, now I've digressed merrily down memory lane.

Back to my meal. I bought a couple of chicken breasts, diced them and marinated in soy sauce and grated ginger and stir-fried with mung bean sprouts, scallions, button mushrooms, celery and water chestnuts. (Celery! We even ate it in our chili.) I thickened it with soy sauce, chicken broth and cornstarch and served it with steamed white rice, Chung King crunchy noodles and blanched almonds.

A taste from our past, the product of a proud and industrious people with a foot in two cultures. In the process I learned that the Chung King brand was produced by another set of immigrants from the other side of the world - the Jeno Paulucci family from Italy.

I always think food is more interesting when it has some background to go along with it.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What an interesting story thanks for sharing! Happy Fiftieth Anniversary and may you have 50 more!

Tonight we're having buffalo chicken lasagna, garlic bread, salad and brownies.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:04 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What an interesting story thanks for sharing! Happy Fiftieth Anniversary and may you have 50 more!

Tonight we're having buffalo chicken lasagna, garlic bread, salad and brownies.
Chicken lasagna? I've never heard of it before

:veryjealous:

Old 05-25-2017, 05:23 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Chicken lasagna? I've never heard of it before

:veryjealous:
I'd send you the recipe sweetie but you know perfectly well you have no intention of making it! You enjoy your evening my friend, and DON'T EVER PUT KETCHUP ON A HOT DOG AGAIN! You'd be strung from the rafters in Chicago for such an act!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I'd send you the recipe sweetie but you know perfectly well you have no intention of making it! You enjoy your evening my friend, and DON'T EVER PUT KETCHUP ON A HOT DOG AGAIN! You'd be strung from the rafters in Chicago for such an act!
Hahahaha yes if you were a real friend you'd send me one via airmail!

Trust me that's a far better fate than me putting mustard on it!

I've seen it in films they put ketchup on it?

PS also I can't STAND peanut butter either lol

Old 05-25-2017, 05:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Schweineschnitzel und Bratkartoffeln.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Cornish game hens with venison meatballs as an appetizer

diet coke

Old 05-25-2017, 08:38 PM

38,860 posts, read 22,849,388 times
Tocino with brown rice
Kale, broccoli and mango salad

Old 05-25-2017, 09:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Chicken Tagine is simmering on the stove for Friday dinner.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:52 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Pot roast, macaroni & cheese, Greek salad, dinner rolls.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
It's been consistently been in the 60s (15-20c) lately, and I'm melting because of it (no AC), so I've been wanting to eat mostly raw fruits and veggies lately.

So tonight, I made my (in)famous salad, containing:

Baby arugula
Shredded carrots
Kalamata olives
Jalapeno sauerkraut
Edible flowers
Smoked salmon
Avocado
Hemp seed hearts
Baby tomatoes
Wild blueberries
Lingonberries
Red currants
Broccoli sprouts
Apple cider vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil

And for dessert, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, and kiwis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink