Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 12:59 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
At max, $6/lb for cheese isn't going to get you much.
I can certainly buy a 1 pound block of several kinds of Cabot sharp cheddar at that price point where I shop. Smoked gouda is around that price point. It's not like Velveeta is the only cheese (well, cheese food) at that price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 06:26 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Being from the Netherlands, the stuff here labeled "cheese" is just an insult... First, cheese in vacuum plastic is a bad idea. Cheese lives and has to breathe...
The taste is the same it is packaged in....

Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Being from the Netherlands, the stuff here labeled "cheese" is just an insult... First, cheese in vacuum plastic is a bad idea. Cheese lives and has to breathe...
The taste is the same it is packaged in....
well not knowing where you live now, it is hard to respond but I will say, it is also hard to find cheese that is not in plastic except at the deli section of some stores and if the store is small, the selection not be all that good. I do think our newly remodeled Sam's has a deli with unwrapped cheese. I will take a look next week when shopping..

Old 01-05-2017, 05:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If you want good cheese forget about Walmart and instead go to a real cheese shop,it aint cheap but is well worth the extra cost.=The 9 Best Cheese Shops In NYC: Gothamist

Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you want good cheese forget about Walmart and instead go to a real cheese shop,it aint cheap but is well worth the extra cost.=The 9 Best Cheese Shops In NYC: Gothamist
you are right: good cheese and walmart are not related, but do remember, you are talking cheese stores in NYC.. the majority of Americans do not live in NY city.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:19 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Southeastern Wisconsin (Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie areas) is a cheese mecca! You'll find lots of cheese shops there, although many of them cater to Chicago tourists passing through on I-94/US-41. Wisconsin is one of the in the US where you can find real cheese curds; that means under-ripened cheese that squeaks against your teeth, not just chunks of regular cheese. (Serving suggestion: mix some cheese curds into scrambled eggs.) The best-known place is Mars Cheese Castle, with its big roadside sign and lots of free samples. You can try as many as you like; just buy something at the end. Don't forget to take a selfie with the kitschy cow statue.

Oh, and no tax on food in Wisconsin, as long as it's packaged or sold from a deli.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-05-2017 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are right: good cheese and walmart are not related, but do remember, you are talking cheese stores in NYC.. the majority of Americans do not live in NY city.
I just made an assumption based on the op posting frequently in the NYC section.
Google will give you a selection of cheese shops in most large cities.Washington DC for example=
http://dcist.com/2013/09/the_five_st...hops_in_dc.php

Old 01-05-2017, 01:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Southeastern Wisconsin (Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie areas) is a cheese mecca! You'll find lots of cheese shops there, although many of them cater to Chicago tourists passing through on I-94/US-41. Wisconsin is one of the in the US where you can find real cheese curds; that means under-ripened cheese that squeaks against your teeth, not just chunks of regular cheese. (Serving suggestion: mix some cheese curds into scrambled eggs.) The best-known place is Mars Cheese Castle, with its big roadside sign and lots of free samples. You can try as many as you like; just buy something at the end. Don't forget to take a selfie with the kitschy cow statue.

Oh, and no tax on food in Wisconsin, as long as it's packaged or sold from a deli.

Mars Cheese Castle in Kenosha and several of the places in Marston, WI do have a good large selection of quality Wisconsin cheese. However, they do get rather pricey.

My recommendation is a bit different. I started at the Babcock Dairy at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. They provide you with a good list of certified master cheese makers throughout the state of Wisconsin. We used the map provided to make several weekend trips to visit some of those cheese makers and their facilities. Personally, I like Union Star Cheese in Fremont, WI near Green Bay.Their specialty are cheddars and flavored brick cheeses.

Most of my Chicago friends swear by Carr Valley Cheese which you will find in a lot of fine restaurants in the Chicago area.

Most of these cheeses are in the $4-8/lb range.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
If you are a fan of blue cheese one of my favorite inexpensive ones is made in IA - Maytag. It's firm and fairly mild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maytag_Blue_cheese

Old 01-05-2017, 09:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
If you are a fan of blue cheese one of my favorite inexpensive ones is made in IA - Maytag. It's firm and fairly mild...
Clemson University makes and sells a good blue cheese...

Clemson Blue Cheese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink