Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,244 times

Advertisements

All these 8 oz $2 and $3 cheeses at Walmart, Krogers, etc taste like congealed, tasteless fat pretty much. (especially the muenster, colby mix and mozzarella) A few years ago they at least had a little flavor.

I'm not comparing them to European cheeses, I'm comparing them to the poor quality US commercial cheese they used to make. I feel US commercial box store cheese doesn't seem to be worth eating anymore unless your starving and need some fat calories.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 02:09 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Sounds like you're buying cheap cheese and expecting expensive quality. You get what you pay for.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
These are yummy and you can buy them pretty cheap by the case at Costco- they use good cheese-

Annie's Organic & Natural Mac and Cheese - Annie's Homegrown

(definitely less than $2 a box! thats pricey )

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-03-2017 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-03-2017, 02:32 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
All these 8 oz $2 and $3 cheeses at Walmart, Krogers, etc taste like congealed, tasteless fat pretty much. (especially the muenster, colby mix and mozzarella) A few years ago they at least had a little flavor.

I'm not comparing them to European cheeses, I'm comparing them to the poor quality US commercial cheese they used to make. I feel US commercial box store cheese doesn't seem to be worth eating anymore unless your starving and need some fat calories.

What do you think?

The cheeses you list aren't known for flavor. All three are pretty mild. Most are sold without ageing. There are some very good cheeses available at grocery stores, such as aged Cheddar, or Parmesan. Normally you have to go to the deli section to find them. But all of the cheese found in the cold cuts sections are normally low quality, non-aged, used for sandwiches, taco's, etc. Nothing that you would traditionally use an expensive cheese for.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
All these 8 oz $2 and $3 cheeses at Walmart, Krogers, etc taste like congealed, tasteless fat pretty much...What do you think?
I think what I always think when I purchase something I don't like...

"I think I'll stop buying that."

Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
you are complaining about a food cost of 2-3 dollars ...that is poor quality?? at Walmart??

that's like buying imitation crabmeat for 1.99lb and complaining its not real crab...

Walmart is known for cheap....cheap and cheap..

Old 01-03-2017, 03:27 PM

61,686 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I think: if you want "taste" you need to shop somewhere else, and pay more.
Here is a guide how to buy better quality cheese even in a box store.
http://www.motherearthliving.com/foo...n-zmoz13mazmel

Last edited by elnina; 01-03-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,601,408 times
At max, $6/lb for cheese isn't going to get you much. That's almost always going to be an unaged cheese made with the cheapest milk/cream available in enormous batches for consistency of texture, and if you're buying pre-grated or pre-sliced, that's going to further erode whatever flavor there might be in that cheese.

A cheese that is aged will cost more per pound because the producer has to pay the costs of aging -- climate controls, storage space, reduction in the volume of the cheese itself due to moisture loss, delay in getting goods to market while it ages, etc. -- but you get flavor back in return for the price you pay. I've gotten so I don't like a young parmesan because it hasn't developed the flavor and texture qualities I like. So I'm paying $15-$18/lb (but I only buy a small wedge at a time for ~$6) for real D.O.P. parmiagana reggiano because I can get far more flavor, aroma and enjoyment out of a couple of freshly grated tablespoons of that, than I can get from a half cup or more of the 6 month old Stella or Kraft parms

Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I generally find that the Wisconsin cheeses sold in the larger supermarkets is pretty good, especially the sharp and extra sharp cheddars. Walmart cheese is much like their meat and seafood - lowest quality that they can find.

However, most of the supermarket cheeses produced in California taste pretty much like the commodity cheese that they used to hand out back in the 70s and 80s - really bland with little taste.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I generally find that the Wisconsin cheeses sold in the larger supermarkets is pretty good, especially the sharp and extra sharp cheddars. Walmart cheese is much like their meat and seafood - lowest quality that they can find.

However, most of the supermarket cheeses produced in California taste pretty much like the commodity cheese that they used to hand out back in the 70s and 80s - really bland with little taste.
Supermarket cheese? Perhaps. But California makes some slamming artisan cheeses, and I'll pay a pretty penny when I can get my hands on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink