Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 05:20 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
+1
theres alot of things attributed to places (specifically to n.y.c.) that have no business with the city:

new york steak/n.y.c. cream cheese/... (were there a lot of cows in new york city at one point ?)

i find new york pizza a little too gourmet for my tastes; just a regular corner store slice for me.
Where I grew up, just 10 miles from midtown Manhattan was, in the mid-19th century, divided between 5 dairies/cattle operations, so yes, NYC has a history of beef and dairy. NYS is still a major dairy state.

As far as New York style pizza being gourmet, if you think so, I wonder if you have ever even had it. New York pizza is salt of the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The reason NYC pizza tastes different, is it is loaded with minerals the rest of us do not want in our drinking water. We live in area with much less contaminated water, and use a water softener and filter system to get rid of the contaminated mineral junk in water. We want clean water, but New Yorkers like mineral junk in their water.

They know how to make other pizza taste like made in New York, just dump some calcium and magnesium into tap water from other places.

New Yorkers like water, contaminated with things people other places buy equipment to take out of their water. Most of us like clean and pure, not water contaminated with minerals.
You obviously know nothing about New York water.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:23 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
no idea what bolognese sauce is.
Then you have something deelishus to look forward to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolognese_sauce

Quote:
good point. i was just pointing out it is weird to call all pizza new york pizza; nobody does that around here.
I think 'NY pizza' is used as much to describe a style as a geographic location. No different than me making a sauce named after Bologna Italy in NC but still referring to it as bolognese.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:26 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
The water. No secret there.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,664 times
It's the water, and the ingredients and home made dough. Most importantly, the water.

In NJ, there is a tomato pie place that moved to another part of the state with a different water supply. The owner actually had the giant jugs filled with water from the original town brought to the new pizza place. He knew the water had a LOT to do with it.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:25 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I've had pizza in multiple U.S. states as well as in several countries, including Italy.

I'm just wondering why no pizza outside of the tri-state area tastes like NYC pizza, even if they say it's New York pizza. What's the secret? Please share your thoughts.
They're missing the key ingredient....the eastward drifting smell of new jersey....or maybe rat feces. Who knows? jk.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
It's the water, and the ingredients and home made dough. Most importantly, the water.

In NJ, there is a tomato pie place that moved to another part of the state with a different water supply. The owner actually had the giant jugs filled with water from the original town brought to the new pizza place. He knew the water had a LOT to do with it.
I are loved much pietza frum flint michigan it are delistasy.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have to lean more towards the ingredient suppliers. We have a pizzeria here in SE NC whose owners proclaim they really are from Brooklyn and the pizza could certainly pass for being from Brooklyn too!
I would agree with that. It is not "the water". There is delicious "New York Style Pizza" in places other than NYC. What the places have in common are large Italian American populations.

I have had EXCELLENT NYC Style pizza in - Many parts of New Jersey and Connecticut. Up-state New York, and where I currently live - North East Ohio.

I grew up on Long Island and we had very good pizza there too. And no NYC water.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's pizza.

Minor variations in water - and there's nothing unique about New York's big-city water supply - are not discernible through the intense flavors of cheese, tomato sauce, sausage/pepperoni, etc.

It's just psychological. People just can't believe that 'New York-style pizza' can be made anywhere else. It's the same phenomenon that led to French wines (and to a lesser extent those of Italy, Germany and Spain) invariably winning high-profile tasting after tasting. Then, when blind tastings were held, suddenly wines from the United States and South America and Australia started winning alongside the European wines.

The tasters didn't know they were doing it, but they just couldn't recognize that non-European wines were on par with Old World wines. No one is going to recognize a New York-style pizza made as they're made in New York but in Chicago or Los Angeles or wherever, and with local water, for what it is.
If you truly believe the taste and texture of a pizza crust cannot be discerned through its toppings you probably should not be commenting on this topic.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:46 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I would agree with that. It is not "the water". There is delicious "New York Style Pizza" in places other than NYC. What the places have in common are large Italian American populations.

I have had EXCELLENT NYC Style pizza in - Many parts of New Jersey and Connecticut. Up-state New York, and where I currently live - North East Ohio.

I grew up on Long Island and we had very good pizza there too. And no NYC water.
I think it all starts with the foundation and the type of flour used is VERY important.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
+1
theres alot of things attributed to places (specifically to n.y.c.) that have no business with the city:
california pizza
new york steak/n.y.c. cream cheese/... (were there a lot of cows in new york city at one point ?)
new york bagel
french dressing

its all marketing. a lot of rock star chefs set up shop in n.y.c and they exaggerate the already great food scene there.
i find new york pizza a little too gourmet for my tastes; just a regular corner store slice for me.
First, it's important to know that New York is the name of a state, not just a city. But in reply to your question highlighted above, Yes! there were a lot of cows in New York at one point, certainly in colonial days New York City was a center of all commerce, agricultural or otherwise.

The first cattle ranch in what was to become the USA was founded in 1658 in Montauk, NY just over 100 miles from Manhattan; it still is in operation.

Utilization of various cuts of meat is the reason for a great steak being called a New York strip because NY is where the use of that cut alone, without the tenderloin, was popularized. New York's dairy production ranks number three or four in the nation and total beef production is number 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink