Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:51 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I keep my BB&B coupons in an envelope in my car, for that very reason.

I would go nuts if Had that many BB&B gift cards! Not sure I would blow it all on All Clad though.
I enjoyed your post!

I was carrying all my coupons in my car but recently removed my primary stash when I left my car at the dealer for service. I used to carry a few extra coupons in my wallet but dayam! I must'a used them.

I'm not making any buy decision any time soon. I guess I'll look at All-Clad sets and see if there's one item not in the set that I want, buy it and see.

Anyway the gift cards are just candy. I'm happy to get 20% off even without the additional 20% off gift card kick. I'll spend them all eventually and by then may have more.

Today was MLK holiday and I had to postpone some errands due to USPS closed. I'll head back to BB&B tomorrow (remembering my coupons) and get my space heater (that I wanted today), and shop for some All-Clad, maybe I'll buy a pot or pan.

Just an aside, BB&B now owns Cost Plus World Market. FYI Another favorite store!

I'd still like an answer on how to make All-Clad non-stick although I don't see any way except to use something like EVOO. At least I know it's much harder to ruin All-Clad than any non-stick coating.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to ruin a cast iron pan...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Indeed. And as your punishment you will have to eat great steaks easily and quickly cooked on your stove top for the rest of your life!

Not that steaks are the only recipe for cast iron. Only the beginning....
Anything that requires browning works well. Hash brown potatoes, chicken, browning onions, that type of thing.

Pancakes and French toast work well.

Sauces turn out really well too.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Anything that requires browning works well. Hash brown potatoes, chicken, browning onions, that type of thing.

You are tempting me into greater use of my cast iron pan!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Usually cookware is not my field of expertise but just recently I was forced to give up my 10+ year old Calphalon set (we bought a home with an induction stove)...so I replaced them with Belgique cookware...I really like the set...especially how the lids fit...I hate my stove...but that's for another thread...

Old 01-16-2017, 10:08 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I'd still like an answer on how to make All-Clad non-stick although I don't see any way except to use something like EVOO. At least I know it's much harder to ruin All-Clad than any non-stick coating.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to ruin a cast iron pan...
You must have missed the links I posted earlier. You can't make a stainless steel pan into a non-stick one.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:30 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
I use my mom's and grandma's classic Revere Ware circa 1950s. I also use the Cornflower Corningware cookware for the oven. And vintage Pyrex bowls for mixing, the ones in varying sizes that are solid yellow, green, red and blue. I do have some old cast iron in various sizes but use it only outside on campfire or on wood stove to make chili. I am afraid I would smash my ceramic stove top as I am klutzy. You can find these on eBay.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:35 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

My favorite skillet is the 2 burner "plancha" griddle, 2 sided. 1 flat, other side with ribs.

Heat at medium heat, and oil and wipe , leaving a glaze.

this pan is good for everything . nothing sticks. I had to show my son why they Copper chef is some BS.

I clean after every use with a sponge soap and water, and use brillo for heavy meat frying. the I heat to dry before I put away.

The 12 inch can go straight to the oven after searing. or continue cooking on low heat for a long time, covered.

Cast Iron fazed out of homes with the dish washing machine. these pans due get covered in rust if not dried after washing.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You must have missed the links I posted earlier. You can't make a stainless steel pan into a non-stick one.
Well I agree with you. I just didn't understand the reasoning or justification of the original statement. As far as I'm concerned the only way you can make stainless steel non-stick is by use of oils, fats or other recipe ingredients that address the tendency for food to stick to the cookware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Cast Iron fazed out of homes with the dish washing machine. these pans due get covered in rust if not dried after washing.
Indeed. The correct way to clean iron cookware is to scrub off the food in warm water and put it out to dry. Or if you use a dish washer don't put in any soap.

However I've found that a little soap does not hurt the non-stick characteristics of my iron cookware. Nor have I required any re-seasoning. Perhaps it's due to all my iron cookware being years old and the carbonization on the surface is just too thick to be hurt by a little bit of soap.

But yes you don't want to let water stand in iron cookware because it could rust. Even then all you'd need to do is remove the rust (use steel wool) and re-season, and you are good to go again.

However I guess you could destroy iron cookware perhaps by leaving it outdoors for several years. Rust is oxidized iron, and when iron cookware rusts you are permanently losing part of your pan. It is quite possible that eventually it could rust all the way through and thus be destroyed.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

They have not phased (not "fazed") out of homes at all. In fact I think they are more popular now than ever.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Well I agree with you. I just didn't understand the reasoning or justification of the original statement. As far as I'm concerned the only way you can make stainless steel non-stick is by use of oils, fats or other recipe ingredients that address the tendency for food to stick to the cookware.

Indeed. The correct way to clean iron cookware is to scrub off the food in warm water and put it out to dry. Or if you use a dish washer don't put in any soap.

However I've found that a little soap does not hurt the non-stick characteristics of my iron cookware. Nor have I required any re-seasoning. Perhaps it's due to all my iron cookware being years old and the carbonization on the surface is just too thick to be hurt by a little bit of soap.

But yes you don't want to let water stand in iron cookware because it could rust. Even then all you'd need to do is remove the rust (use steel wool) and re-season, and you are good to go again.

However I guess you could destroy iron cookware perhaps by leaving it outdoors for several years. Rust is oxidized iron, and when iron cookware rusts you are permanently losing part of your pan. It is quite possible that eventually it could rust all the way through and thus be destroyed.
Yes a complete rusting-out of the pan is certainly the way to permanently ruin it.

I have washed my cast iron pans and pots many times with soap and water. It does not affect the seasoning at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink