Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:08 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Just made myself a salad for dinner and in the process, I reached over to a counter top container, took out a handful of sunflower seeds, and sprinkled them in.

Just that action alone was rather calming to me if only for a moment......and I would like to go on with such actions.

So what other salad ingredients can be kept in counter top containers? What other ingredients for salads might be considered "dry goods"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
I always put sunflower seeds, pumpkin, and and chia seeds on counter to shake into salads.
Make them up as you go along. I love a good Chef's salad, but they always contain nuts and seeds, olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar.
But, you've posted in here so many times, I suspect you already know this

Old 01-17-2017, 12:31 AM

6,228 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Box of croutons. Bottle of BacOs bacon bits (no actual bacon therein). Bags of tortilla strips and sesame sticks. All nuts. Can of Kraft grated Parmesan cheese.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Dried cranberries. Nuts.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 AM

My counter jars, oodles of them, are with lentils, split peas, sunflower seeds, noodles, spaghetti, black eyed peas, beans of all sorts, white sugar, brown sugar, flour, corn meal, tortilla mix, brown rice, and probably other things I've forgotten.

Now there's a note of an interesting day, the time I got mixed up and instead of putting sun flower seeds in my salad, I used lentils instead. It was a salad with many small, hard pebbles.

Mmmmmm, sesame sticks, check! Tortilla strips, maybe. Nuts, check! Experiment with seeds, check! Spend more time looking around the seeds, Chinese mix section in the grocery.

As things go, I don't use Bacon (real or imitation) in my salads; I think, long ago, they lost out due to the cost when I was poor. The tortilla strips may be in contrast to my retreat from having munchies (chips) in the house. The curious thing about that is that removal of the munchies, the crouton supply often falls victim to such cravings.

That may be one of those hand to mouth scarfing behaviors in that there has to be something there. Years ago, when I use to go through a bag of chocolate chips, from my baking supply, I was able to replace that, about 90% successful, with raisins. Instead of a handful (or more) of chips, it became a handful of raisins.

SO-o.......does anyone use raisins in their salads and can they be kept on the counter? Once I open a "can", it goes in the frig.

Ought to experiment with Parmesan on the counter instead of in the pantry. For one thing, scooping a little instead of shaking a little may make it last longer. Similarly with the croutons in that I may be more aware of just how much of them I am using.....though when it comes to croutons, I use them for a lot, from salads to soups to pastas.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
My counter jars, oodles of them, are with lentils, split peas, sunflower seeds, noodles, spaghetti, black eyed peas, beans of all sorts, white sugar, brown sugar, flour, corn meal, tortilla mix, brown rice, and probably other things I've forgotten.

Now there's a note of an interesting day, the time I got mixed up and instead of putting sun flower seeds in my salad, I used lentils instead. It was a salad with many small, hard pebbles.

Mmmmmm, sesame sticks, check! Tortilla strips, maybe. Nuts, check! Experiment with seeds, check! Spend more time looking around the seeds, Chinese mix section in the grocery.

As things go, I don't use Bacon (real or imitation) in my salads; I think, long ago, they lost out due to the cost when I was poor. The tortilla strips may be in contrast to my retreat from having munchies (chips) in the house. The curious thing about that is that removal of the munchies, the crouton supply often falls victim to such cravings.

That may be one of those hand to mouth scarfing behaviors in that there has to be something there. Years ago, when I use to go through a bag of chocolate chips, from my baking supply, I was able to replace that, about 90% successful, with raisins. Instead of a handful (or more) of chips, it became a handful of raisins.

SO-o.......does anyone use raisins in their salads and can they be kept on the counter? Once I open a "can", it goes in the frig.

Ought to experiment with Parmesan on the counter instead of in the pantry. For one thing, scooping a little instead of shaking a little may make it last longer. Similarly with the croutons in that I may be more aware of just how much of them I am using.....though when it comes to croutons, I use them for a lot, from salads to soups to pastas.

you put raisins in the fridge after opening?? - yes, after opening they dont have to go in the fridge you can keep at room temp..

raisins... are funky ....depends which brand you buy on the size/quality of them, i use to eat raisins everyday ....keeps your pipes clean!

they have a lot of concentrated sugars....but still better than eating a ring ding

one of the elder aunts in the family would put raisins in freshly made coleslaw and it was good (im not a closeslaw fan)

as for regular salads im all for all the fruits you can put on them ...
id much rather eat a fruit salad than a regular salad

Old 01-17-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you put raisins in the fridge after opening?? - yes, after opening they dont have to go in the fridge you can keep at room temp..

raisins... are funky ....depends which brand you buy on the size/quality of them, i use to eat raisins everyday ....keeps your pipes clean!

they have a lot of concentrated sugars....but still better than eating a ring ding

one of the elder aunts in the family would put raisins in freshly made coleslaw and it was good (im not a closeslaw fan)

as for regular salads im all for all the fruits you can put on them ...
id much rather eat a fruit salad than a regular salad
I must be influenced by the old country.....refrigerate everything. Still, moving out the country, I'm leaning to the older ways of food preservation.

As far as lower issues, yes they do. Between those and avocados (and black beans, black eyed peas), they are as effective as curry......and a lot less painful.

One of my favorite books is https://schlock-value.com/2013/09/22...ity-of-angels/ . About chapter 6 or so, there is a beautiful description of dinner on the submarine Tiburon where Judith has to make do with the variety of supplies on board. Something like "there was no cayenne or chutney, so raisins had to be used instead" (or was it the other way around?).

Been reading up tonight on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dried_fruit tonight, so I might look into that. Getting a food dehydrator has been a thought for many years but haven't had the room till now to be serious about it.

So far, my salads have been rather basic. Romaine or Red lettuce, sun flower seeds, olives and/or capers, a fish (sometimes chicken), avocado, garlic, Parmesan, feta or bleu, tomatoes, croutons. I don't use salad dressing and I don't spin my lettuce, using the water to hold the spices.

But.....one learns over time. I learned to use sun flower seeds after having lunch with Mom up at the Kimbell Art Museum cafeteria. Probably learned about capers from some book.

So live and learn.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Just made myself a salad for dinner and in the process, I reached over to a counter top container, took out a handful of sunflower seeds, and sprinkled them in.

Just that action alone was rather calming to me if only for a moment......and I would like to go on with such actions.

So what other salad ingredients can be kept in counter top containers? What other ingredients for salads might be considered "dry goods"?
another which I got the idea from citydata a few years ago: pretzils. Of course any kind of nuts or dried fruit add flavor and nutrition to a salad. I particularly like adding these things to cold slaw.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
Raisins in cole slaw, raisins in carrot salad, raisins in tossed salad.

And seeds of all kinds.

I buy the pre-mixed packages of salad toppings that are under the vegetable bins at the store, or sometimes stacked at the end of the aisles. They aren't refrigerated, but once I open them, I clip them shut with clothespins and keep them in the fridge.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
At Christmas time I bought a small container of glazed walnuts from Spain. Last night I tossed them into a citrus/avocado/butter lettuce salad for a little crunch. They were just the thing and added a good color contrast.

I had been keeping them in the refrigerator but I don't think it was necessary for short-term use. Eventually most things with oil in them will go rancid, though.

And speaking of packaged bacon bits - when the Bacos came out we thought they were the bomb but it didn't take long to tire of the artificial taste. I was glad when they started to market the real bacon bits and I usually keep a small jar in refrigeration for salads. But lately I've noticed a lot of gnarly little unchewables seem to accompany each jar.

You know the kind of thing - it's probably got a name but I don't know it. You chew and chew and "the thing" just gets larger and larger.

That is all. Just had to say how much that ticks me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink