Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 04:51 PM

711 posts, read 687,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
We get that at an amazing price for two loaves at Costco. By the way...it seems to stay fresher longer...maybe it's the nuts.
Yep, Costco is the only place we buy it! Re: the freshness - we've found the same thing. And it's great since we get the two loaf package at Costco. We've also really tried to cut back on bread so I don't even keep a full loaf out at one time. I just grab 6 or so slices and keep them in a ziplock. The rest stay frozen.

The other thing I really like about it is that it actually toasts!! It seems like most other whole grain breads I've tried get hot and almost hard but they never really brown like toast is supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
We get that at an amazing price for two loaves at Costco. By the way...it seems to stay fresher longer...maybe it's the nuts.
A year ago, before the business was sold out to a private equity company, you would only see it at Costco in the Midwest and Southwest.

Now, you can find the bread at pretty much every Walmart store, Kroger's and even some of the discount chains.

the way private equity works, it will be another year or two before they start tinkering with the formula and start cheapening the product.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,464 times
The kind of bread you are buying can make a difference. Rye usually lasts the longest (it has the highest hydration).

Also do you check the expiry/best before date before you buy? Buy the loaf with the longest time till expiry.

Warming it in the oven can also help revive freshness if it is a bit dry. I also often use the microwave to do that - wrap in plastic and nuke for a few seconds.

If you want a single loaf to last 2 weeks, you can't be using much. As others have recommended, keep it in the freezer. Don't keep it in the fridge. Freezing slows down the recrystallization of the starches in bread (which makes bread stale) but fridge temperatures just speed it up. Ensure the bread is well (preferably double) wrapped in plastic and/or foil to help it retain moisture.

Good bread should not, in my opinion, contain anything except (high quality) flour, yeast, salt and water. Using more yeast to make a bread means it takes less time for the process to be completed and a lower quality grain may be used for the flour - that is what you are buying if you are buying a cheaper loaf of supermarket bread and unless that type of bread also contains a fair bit of preservatives it generally will not last long. True wholegrain and sourdough breads (the naturally produced lactic acid is a preservative) usually last longer than WonderBread in my experience even if not 'enhanced' with any preservatives. Dough conditioners, fats, guar or xanthum gum, vinegar, etc. will make breads last longer.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Most of the major bread companies like sunbeam, sara lee etc ...are putting out such poor bread products . I like to keep at least one loaf of bread in the house but when you go to get a slice it is really dryed out almost to the point of being stale after only a week or so in the pantry ....sad really . I can remember my grandmother getting a loaf of bread at the store and she would still have it two weeks later and not dry at all . Why is that ? have things gotten that bad ?
What you are describing actually means bread is getting better, not worse.

Bread is not meant to be moist two weeks from purchase. It means it is full of crap, and not nutritious.

I don't buy milk that lasts for a month for this reason, either, besides it tastes "dead."

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 01-19-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 06:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Making your own is a great idea. But the homemade stuff actually tastes good and I wouldn't stop eating it! My treat every month is a loaf from Great Harvest. I keep it in the freezer and just break off a few slices at a time.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
If one is concerned with losing weight I would completely remove all bread and wheat from your diet. It isn't very hard. With that being said, don't buy anything with absurd amounts of ingredients, preservatives, and additives. Or, MAKE YOUR OWN if you must have bread. I can't stand even going down the bread aisle and cutting through to a different part of the store due to the smell, it is off-putting to me. Disclaimer: I do have Celiac Disease and have been on a 100% gluten free diet for over 8 years now. Also, ignore the USDA food plate of 6-10 servings of grains a day. That is complete nonsense, the majority of people function fine on far less than that and fewer calories- especially with a paleo diet that is higher protein and low carbohydrate. There are reasons we have an enormous obesity epidemic and healthcare disaster in this country. Draw your own conclusions, but processed foods and modern wheat- the kind that made its way in large-scale fashion onto our store shelves starting in the mid 1980s is largely to blame. HFCS is a culprit as well.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I adore Dave's Killer Bread, especially the thin sliced versions. It's pricy but worth it. Loaded with protein and fiber, yet it doesn't taste the the sweepings off the barnyard floor.
I agree, Dave's Killer Bread is awesome. I get it for 2.99 at the day old bread store. I freeze it and it lasts 1-2 months because I don't eat bread often. It's normally $5.50 at regular priced stores. This bread is heavy/dense and good.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:48 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I agree, Dave's Killer Bread is awesome. I get it for 2.99 at the day old bread store. I freeze it and it lasts 1-2 months because I don't eat bread often. It's normally $5.50 at regular priced stores. This bread is heavy/dense and good.
Sounds good. I don't think I have ever seen it.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
American bread has always been a tasteless mess. Try going to France or Italy, where bread is baked fresh daily, using fresh ground flour. I remember explaining about American bread to a Frenchman once. When I got to bread factories and sponge batter, the look of horror on is face was a sight to behold.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:34 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
American bread has always been a tasteless mess. Try going to France or Italy, where bread is baked fresh daily, using fresh ground flour.
There is a family owned Italian grocery store here that makes the best bread. Its baked fresh daily. I just buy their plain Italian bread, but it has more flavor then any other type of bread I've had. Then if I time it right, and I buy it while its still hot and fresh from the oven.... even better.

Of course it wouldn't be a good choice for the OP since it does not last 2 weeks. Or at least I don't think it would. We always eat it within a day or two, so its never lasted that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink