U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,399,861 times

Advertisements

That's weird, on my campus our vending machines sell sodas and the like but no energy drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 03:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,333,705 times
It would be to do with the amount of sugar in them I believe. Studies have shown that high blood sugar levels affect concentration adversely, perhaps Red Bull and such like don't have nearly so much sugar content as Pepsi and Coke.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,399,861 times
Doubt it. Energy drinks often have quite a bit of sugar in them, I think it's around as much as Coke, but I don't have a bottle of it with me right now to check. It may, however, be the alertness that caffeine provides that makes energy drinks "acceptable" in those schools. I can't think of any other reason why they'd be allowed, if Coke isn't permitted.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,750,279 times
I work at a HS and they took out all but the Powerade machines. We have soda machine in the teachers room, but I mostly see people buying water not soda. Oh, yeah, it is the sugar ones, not the sugar-free ones. The nurse fought at many board meetings to have those removed from campus due to sugar content, too. She lost that battle. It's all about student-funds. They are filled with sales from those machines.

I do have energy drinks I take sometimes that are 4 calories and no sugar. But I cannot imagine them being sold at school. I have actually never heard of that before. Most kids won't drink the diet SF redbull anyway, so I would think given the money made on them, it would not be re-stocked. If the kids want energy, they can eat a good breakfast; It is weird for me to hear the school sells that. I do have kids walking in first period with them-they stop at the gas station on the way to school usually.

A friend of mine went to school in OR and he said they had those huge apples in a refrigerated turn-style type thing and for a quarter you got a big, cold crunchy apple. That would be cool. A good apple instead of the ones the cafeteria gives...heck, oranges, apples, any fruit would sell if that is all there is to buy.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:41 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,123,174 times
Oh goody, Amway is here.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 AM

3,651 posts, read 8,123,174 times
Oh goody, Amway is here.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:49 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,212,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
First one I tried tasted like kerosene so no danger of me getting addicted.
LOL ~~ I agree. Not for me either.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM

2,407 posts, read 5,162,373 times
Hubby use to be... not anymore.

I FINALLY got him addicted to water. YEA !!!

Old 08-08-2010, 09:38 PM
'M'

1,772 posts, read 2,508,436 times
I've never had a hankering for an energy drink. Just like I've never had a hankering for Twitter or texting. Too high tech. Tried an energy drink a couple of times and each one was horrible, to me. I'm a coffee, tea, and water person, and those are good enough for me!!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM

6,041 posts, read 10,386,121 times
Default Foods, Drinks, Nutrition the help Memory, Intelligence, Having More Energy, Sleeping Well, Relaxing, and Focus.

This is similar to a recent informative topic while also technically being about a separate topic.

It is important to have a well balanced diet that has most vitamins and nutrients such as B vitamins, A, C, D, E, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium, Antioxidants Bioflavanoids, Omega 3, 6, 9, and to not have any nutrient deficiencies that get in the way of someone’s health. A cheap affordable natural Multivitamin Supplement is also able to easily help the situation with nutrition.

Vitamins and Nutrients all have an influence in Memory, Intelligence Cognitive Function, Energy, Sleeping well, Relaxing, and Focus.

Based on personal experience, healthy eating and nutrition is so good for my health and my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink