Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 12:14 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times

Advertisements

I'm from NYC so....

hot dogs, knish and roasted chesnuts
real pizza and pastrami sandwiches
Wise snacks (cheez doodles, dipsy doodles and the like)
Stella D'Oro cookie mix
Beef patty with coco bread
White Castle (I buy the frozen ones and steam them like in the restaurant lol)
Caribbean/Puerto Rican/Jewish food in general....mmm good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,873 times
Ironically, despite now living in NYC (supposedly the pizza capital of the country), I miss Canadian bacon pizza.
How is it NY pizzerias haven't gotten on the Canadian bacon train?!

Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times
We moved from California to Wyoming in November and I miss Greek food so much, especially baklava. We had two very good authentic Greek/ Mediterranean restaurants in our home town and where we moved there isn't a single one. 😢

Old 02-14-2017, 02:01 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,317,466 times
I'm originally from NC, spent 10 years in AZ now I'm in east TX. The latter, east TX, easily has the most "woop dee doo" food of any of them, yet they think it's GREAT and I'm like "eh."

I miss the breakfast burritos from AZ, they make GOOD ones with chorizo and potatoes and eggs and they only charge like $2.25 for a burrito which is HUGE. It's almost impossible to find that here, and when you do they want like $8 for them. They have these "kolaches" here, thinking they're an east TX thing when kolaches have their roots in Denmark as the one person hinted at and everyone is mad crazy about them and I'm like "THAT you're proud of? Are you kidding me?" That would be like living in South Dakota and being arrogant about your lobster when Maine does it much better.

I miss eastern NC pulled-pork barbecue with vinegar-based sauce, here it's totally different and far inferior.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
...I miss eastern NC pulled-pork barbecue with vinegar-based sauce, here it's totally different and far inferior.
You just can't beat Carolina BBQ (NC and SC).

Old 02-14-2017, 02:42 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Originally from the North Shore of Long Island. Now I live in Northeastern Ohio. The food here happens to be quite good. Especially Italian food - including pizza - no complaints here.

What I do miss - really good Chinese take out, and Chinese restaurants where you could dine in.
Greek diners On Long Island these were ubiquitous and all were reliably good. You could get anything you wanted there, so the whole family didn't need to agree Deserts were excellent - many were open 24/7 or very late. They also served wine and cocktails - unlike chain "family restaurants" and deserts were always good.

Thia restaurants - there are good ones in Cleveland - but that's an hour away

BAGELS - shops that exclusively sell BAGELS and are packed on Sunday mornings.
The only place we can get bagels here is Panera. Other than that there is Kravitz Deli in Y'town about 20 minutes away.

I do like Ohio fish - perch and walleye. But I miss steamed clams and muscles in wine.

Knishes. The big round baked kind. YUM!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:47 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
Dutch Crunch Bread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:11 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
I miss hotdishes and casseroles from South Dakota. Lefse and fresh pies...and walleye.
From Chicago, I miss a lot. I mean...a lot. Kimchee perogies anyone? They go great with chicken feet.

PS...do not go to the restaurant called old chicago pizza in SJ if you're looking for the real deal. It's about as Chicagoan as the Miami Dolphins. When you reach that point, you'll do the right thing and make the long drive to Patxi's which will cure the itch...or have something delivered.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Originally from the North Shore of Long Island. Now I live in Northeastern Ohio. The food here happens to be quite good. Especially Italian food - including pizza - no complaints here.

What I do miss - really good Chinese take out, and Chinese restaurants where you could dine in.
Greek diners On Long Island these were ubiquitous and all were reliably good. You could get anything you wanted there, so the whole family didn't need to agree Deserts were excellent - many were open 24/7 or very late. They also served wine and cocktails - unlike chain "family restaurants" and deserts were always good.

Thia restaurants - there are good ones in Cleveland - but that's an hour away

BAGELS - shops that exclusively sell BAGELS and are packed on Sunday mornings.
The only place we can get bagels here is Panera. Other than that there is Kravitz Deli in Y'town about 20 minutes away.

I do like Ohio fish - perch and walleye. But I miss steamed clams and muscles in wine.

Knishes. The big round baked kind. YUM!
I had my first knish in Mt. Kisco, NY. It was a healthy food grocery store that had them in their refrigerator area. I had never had one, but decided to try. I fell in love w/ them and every time I went down there (90's) I would get one. Now that I think of it, I haven't' seen them anywhere else.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I had my first knish in Mt. Kisco, NY. It was a healthy food grocery store that had them in their refrigerator area. I had never had one, but decided to try. I fell in love w/ them and every time I went down there (90's) I would get one. Now that I think of it, I haven't' seen them anywhere else.
You can buy them online from Gabila's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink