Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times

Advertisements

I stopped using paper bags once my son got out of middle school. They made excellent book covers. Having said that, though, they were not very practical - we can transport far more plastic bags from vehicle to kitchen in one trip than we can paper. And when your vehicle is parked some distance from your door, this becomes an important thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't need one more thing to clean and haul back and forth. The typical reusable bags hold very little. I'd need half a dozen of them. A lot of these "sustainable" solutions simply aren't practical. And those plastic bags aren't going into landfills either. We have a dozen small waste bins around the house. If we don't have the grocery bags, we will have to buy new plastic bags. Is that what you want?
Yeah, what's up with those reusable bags? The handles break off way too easily. Most don't hold much (apparently, in an effort to not overtax the under-engineered handles). Their only advantage over plastic bags seems to be they're too heavy to be easily blown around by the wind or float. Bookbag/backpack canvas with nylon-webbed, wrap-around handles is what's needed.

Buying Guide: The Best Reusable Shopping Bags | The Huffington Post

Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Harris Teeter still offers the option. I usually request paper because they transport in the trunk of my car better. When I use plastic bags, they slide all around and the contents come out.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And those plastic bags aren't going into landfills either. We have a dozen small waste bins around the house. If we don't have the grocery bags, we will have to buy new plastic bags. Is that what you want?
If you're using them for trash bags, then yes, they are ending up in the landfills ;-)

Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're using them for trash bags, then yes, they are ending up in the landfills ;-)
but so would the plastic trash can liners that they are replacing.

I doubt many people use paper bags or re-usable bags to line trash cans.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Plastic bags are dramatically less expensive than paper bags. That is the only reason that stores push plastic, if they have that option. It's purely a back-end expense savings. It's business.

My reusable bags work great. They hold A LOT, I pack them heavy and full, they save me trips to the car, I need far fewer bags... seems like the definition of practical to me. And plastic is gross. No matter how you swing it, yes, it does eventually end up in a landfill, for the next 500+ years, and that's only if they're exposed to sunlight (photo-degradation is the only way they've been determined to breakdown naturally, ever), which, in a land fill, they are not. I understand reusing the bags as trash liners, etc., but one good trip to the grocery store is enough trash-liners to last a year. I think we could do with fewer of them, for sure...

Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 AM

314 posts, read 237,368 times
we only get paper bags and only plastic if we pick up things at walgreens/cvs last minute. We use the paper bags for recycling and they work very well,.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
A year? That'a a lot of groceries.

I can still get paper bags, but the stores pack in plastic unless you request paper.

If I want to recycle shredded paper, I have to put it in a paper bag.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,407 times
I love the reusable bags- the ones we get in Canada from Loblaws/No Frills are strong and large. And pretty!!

My problem is - remembering to bring them back out to the car for the next trip... and then, remembering to take them into the store once they've miraculously made it to the car. It's something I've been working on for the last 12 years.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:24 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I live in Europe and paper bags are a rarity, it's bring-your-own, regular plastic which you are urged to reuse or a plastic which rapidly deteriorates.
The first time I saw plastic bags was in Europe (back in 1972). They were not in the States until
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...opular/381065/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we still have paper up here i prefer them,,,,good to burn in the woodstove for firestarters
growing up we were poor used paper bags as book covers
We liked to use them (as kids) and as teens there were radio stations and other advertisers who
would give paper book covers away.

I have some Trader Joe's bags that are 6 years old and not only are they in great shape
but hold a lot of heavy items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink