Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

So I was at the grocery store yesterday and really wanted to make toast. I don't buy much bread at home because I rarely eat it outside of breakfast, and I eat breakfast at work.

So I was scanning the labels, looking for a bread that didn't seem too processed. And every loaf had 10-15+ ingredients. Eventually I found a sourdough with flour, starter and salt. But this took 10 minutes!

Why does all packed bread have so much stuff in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 12:37 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't think it's hard to figure out: so that it survives long-distance shipping and lots of time in a warehouse and on store shelves

Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Bread needs lots of ingredients to have the right texture and shelf life. Even my homemade bread has 9 ingredients.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think it's hard to figure out: so that it survives long-distance shipping and lots of time in a warehouse and on store shelves
This. Right on the nose.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:44 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
You may want to try Dave's Killer Bread. I really like the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds. It does have a long ingredients list but a good part of them is the 21 Grains - and there doesn't seem to be a lot of preservatives in it. It seems to toast better than most other whole grain breads I've tried as well. I will say though, it's hard to beat a good piece of sourdough toast!

Daves Bread INGREDIENTS:
Organic whole wheat (organic whole wheat flour, organic cracked whole wheat), water, 21 Whole Grains and Seeds mix (organic whole flax seeds, organic sunflower seeds, organic ground whole flax seeds, organic un-hulled brown sesame seeds, organic triticale, organic pumpkin seeds, organic rolled barley, organic rolled oats, organic rolled rye, organic un-hulled black sesame seeds, organic millet, organic rolled spelt, organic blue cornmeal, organic brown rice flour, organic yellow cornmeal, organic amaranth flour, organic rolled KAMUT® Khorasan wheat, organic quinoa, organic buckwheat flour, organic sorghum flour, organic poppy seeds), organic dried cane syrup (sugar), organic wheat gluten, organic oat fiber, organic molasses, sea salt, organic cultured whole wheat, yeast, organic vinegar.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:52 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Why buy, if you can bake at home using only 3, and is super easy?
Easy Homemade No-Knead Bread Recipe With Just 3 Ingredients

More here:
https://goo.gl/h6ZSmO

Old 02-20-2017, 01:18 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
... so that it survives long-distance shipping and lots of time in a warehouse and on store shelves
^^^^ This.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:44 PM

99,502 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
You may want to try Dave's Killer Bread. I really like the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds. It does have a long ingredients list but a good part of them is the 21 Grains - and there doesn't seem to be a lot of preservatives in it. It seems to toast better than most other whole grain breads I've tried as well. I will say though, it's hard to beat a good piece of sourdough toast!

Daves Bread INGREDIENTS:
Organic whole wheat (organic whole wheat flour, organic cracked whole wheat), water, 21 Whole Grains and Seeds mix (organic whole flax seeds, organic sunflower seeds, organic ground whole flax seeds, organic un-hulled brown sesame seeds, organic triticale, organic pumpkin seeds, organic rolled barley, organic rolled oats, organic rolled rye, organic un-hulled black sesame seeds, organic millet, organic rolled spelt, organic blue cornmeal, organic brown rice flour, organic yellow cornmeal, organic amaranth flour, organic rolled KAMUT® Khorasan wheat, organic quinoa, organic buckwheat flour, organic sorghum flour, organic poppy seeds), organic dried cane syrup (sugar), organic wheat gluten, organic oat fiber, organic molasses, sea salt, organic cultured whole wheat, yeast, organic vinegar.
I second this. I love Dave's Killer Bread!

Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Because it has to last. It is days old before it even hits the supermarket shelf.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:49 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
... because of this:
Before You Ever Buy Bread Again...Read This! (And Find The Healthiest Bread On The Market)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink