Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 06:53 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly. Same with my 40-year-old nutmeg balls.
Nobody in their right mind would ever guess that I'm gonna be 50 in a month - I can't stop giggling every single time I read or think about "40 year old nutmeg balls".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 02:08 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
So what about baking soda and baking powder then? Do those ever expire?

I'm so glad to hear about the spices though. The only ones I ever use up are parsley, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. I've got cream of tartar that I bought a year ago because I thought I needed it, but I have yet to find a recipe that uses it.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:24 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Please let me be clear... your spices do not expire...
...and those tabletop pepper dispensers will always contain the best representation of black pepper.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So what about baking soda and baking powder then? Do those ever expire?

I'm so glad to hear about the spices though. The only ones I ever use up are parsley, basil, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. I've got cream of tartar that I bought a year ago because I thought I needed it, but I have yet to find a recipe that uses it.
There are a few cookie recipes that use cream of tartar, but if I were you I would just use it for something practical here's some ideas:
8 Surprising Uses for Cream of Tartar | Care2 Healthy Living

Old 01-30-2016, 01:28 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I use cream of tartar to clean cast aluminum.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:53 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Exclamation A reminder to check expiration dates on food products

Cleaning out my refrigerator, discovered of course quite a few expired foods.

Some have the pull date, some best by date. But living alone, it creeps up on me...a half full mayo container is out of date. Most are not used even 3/4 before I need to toss and I despise wasting food. Usually buy a small size if available but they end up costing more.

I'd use some things past the pull date but not long, freshness you want in food products.

Last time I did this had to replace about a dozen spices...this time mayo, dressing, mustard, lemon curd, pesto etc.

So.....check out your cabinets and refrigerator!

Old 01-02-2019, 08:25 AM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Appreciate the heads-up, but you didn't mention anything I would throw away just because it was past the date. In fact, I never look at dates. My conviction is that you can completely disregard the arbitrary date printed on the package and use any food as long as it still looks, smells, and tastes good.

Mayonnaise? Lasts a long long time. It's pasteurized egg preserved in oil and vinegar. When it is too old, it visibly dries out.

Dressing? Oil and vinegar. Keep it cold and it lasts forever.

Mustard? Also lasts forever. It's dried mustard seeds + vinegar. Not going to go bad.

Lemon curd? Don't have a lot of experience with it, but isn't it basically a kind of jam? Jam lasts forever.

Spices? Also have an eternal shelf life; they will eventually lose potency but what you do is taste them to see if they still have enough flavor for your purposes.

The things that I find ACTUALLY go bad are fresh foods. Dairy products, especially if unsealed (milk and cream go sour; yogurt, cottage cheese and sour cream get moldy), fresh fruits and vegetables (they visibly wither and/or rot), bread and other baked goods (mold), and meat (gets sticky and develops a foul smell).

But if these items aren't displaying any of the above signs, I keep them and use them.

Everything else? Meh. I've even heard of people throwing away salt because it was past the sell-by date. Really.

Last edited by saibot; 01-02-2019 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 08:27 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
One needs to keep also in mind that expiration dates are for sealed unused food. If you open a bottle of ranch dressing, it's certainly not good until the expiration date for example.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
One needs to keep also in mind that expiration dates are for sealed unused food. If you open a bottle of ranch dressing, it's certainly not good until the expiration date for example.

Oh so true.....I just try to keep in the back of my head how long items have been open.....

Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cleaning out my refrigerator, discovered of course quite a few expired foods.

Some have the pull date, some best by date. But living alone, it creeps up on me...a half full mayo container is out of date. Most are not used even 3/4 before I need to toss and I despise wasting food. Usually buy a small size if available but they end up costing more.

I'd use some things past the pull date but not long, freshness you want in food products.

Last time I did this had to replace about a dozen spices...this time mayo, dressing, mustard, lemon curd, pesto etc.

So.....check out your cabinets and refrigerator!
You may want to rethink that. The larger size probably costs less per ounce to purchase, but that's not what you want to compare. You want to look at the cost per ounce that you actually use. The impulse to get more for your money is almost irresistible -I've done it, too - but if you get a large container of something you rarely use because it's cheaper per ounce, but then throw most of it away, you have actually wasted money, not to mention storage space.

Bottom line: If you use a lot, get a lot. If you don't, who cares if you can get four times as much for only twice the price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink