U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 PM

23,386 posts, read 22,388,425 times

Advertisements

I don't throw away condiments which are out of date, either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:30 PM

19,975 posts, read 4,235,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You may want to rethink that. The larger size probably costs less per ounce to purchase, but that's not what you want to compare. You want to look at the cost per ounce that you actually use. The impulse to get more for your money is almost irresistible -I've done it, too - but if you get a large container of something you rarely use because it's cheaper per ounce, but then throw most of it away, you have actually wasted money, not to mention storage space.

Bottom line: If you use a lot, get a lot. If you don't, who cares if you can get four times as much for only twice the price?
I said I usually buy the small size. Don't like to waste food either so smaller helps with that too. I've never bought the largest size of anything to save money.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't throw away condiments which are out of date, either.

Depends on how long they've been opened to me....

Old 01-02-2019, 02:43 PM

10,967 posts, read 19,353,561 times
I throw food away if it's been open too long. I write the date I opened a container on the lid with permanent marker so I can keep track.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I throw food away if it's been open too long. I write the date I opened a container on the lid with permanent marker so I can keep track.
I've been too lazy...I will start doing that...thanks for reminding me!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM

11,204 posts, read 3,124,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I said I usually buy the small size. Don't like to waste food either so smaller helps with that too. I've never bought the largest size of anything to save money.
Sorry, I misinterpreted. Not much you can do if you get the small and still have lots left over, unless it's something you can freeze.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 6,857,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Sorry, I misinterpreted. Not much you can do if you get the small and still have lots left over, unless it's something you can freeze.
Save all the extra little packages you get with to go orders. We don't use a lot of ketchup, so the only ketchup in the fridge is those dippable containers that some restaurants give you by the handful.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM

2,843 posts, read 1,225,642 times
I'm using 15-year-old spices and 3-year-old oxycodin.

Like with laundry---look and smell, then decide.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I'm using 15-year-old spices and 3-year-old oxycodin.

Like with laundry---look and smell, then decide.

LOL....have the spices remained the same in taste and smell??? Not moldy??

Old 01-02-2019, 05:20 PM

1,409 posts, read 778,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Appreciate the heads-up, but you didn't mention anything I would throw away just because it was past the date. In fact, I never look at dates. My conviction is that you can completely disregard the arbitrary date printed on the package and use any food as long as it still looks, smells, and tastes good.

Mayonnaise? Lasts a long long time. It's pasteurized egg preserved in oil and vinegar. When it is too old, it visibly dries out.

Dressing? Oil and vinegar. Keep it cold and it lasts forever.

Mustard? Also lasts forever. It's dried mustard seeds + vinegar. Not going to go bad.

Lemon curd? Don't have a lot of experience with it, but isn't it basically a kind of jam? Jam lasts forever.

Spices? Also have an eternal shelf life; they will eventually lose potency but what you do is taste them to see if they still have enough flavor for your purposes.

The things that I find ACTUALLY go bad are fresh foods. Dairy products, especially if unsealed (milk and cream go sour; yogurt, cottage cheese and sour cream get moldy), fresh fruits and vegetables (they visibly wither and/or rot), bread and other baked goods (mold), and meat (gets sticky and develops a foul smell).

But if these items aren't displaying any of the above signs, I keep them and use them.

Everything else? Meh. I've even heard of people throwing away salt because it was past the sell-by date. Really.
Not vegan mayo. I got violently ill using an expired jar that was unopened. Never again. Please be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink