Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Everything else? Meh. I've even heard of people throwing away salt because it was past the sell-by date. Really.

Yeah, it's been sitting in the ground for a hundred million years. We got to it just in time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Most sell-by dates have nothing to do with safety and everything to do with appeal. Manufacturers don't want their products sold when they physically deteriorate to a point where they're no longer aesthetically pleasing to look at or their texture is no longer optimal or when the taste is starting to wane. But they're still perfectly safe. And when the date is predicated on safety, a large margin of error is incorporated. Example: if a producer thinks a jar of X will go bad in 180 days, they'll make sure to post a use-by date of something like 120 days.

Oh, and spices? They never go bad. They just lose their effect. And that's rather the whole point of a spice, isn't it? Using way out-of-date spices is perfectly safe... but mostly pointless.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I must have some good defensive bacteria....I buy the outdated half price stuff some marked down 80%

I have bbq sauce a year past the expiration date but its still fine.....

my son now checks expiration dates on xmas food gifts...… hes a little particular

ive got canned veggies over 5 yrs old … past the date.. they still look fine..

but yes always good to go thru the fridge …. for a cleansing...

Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I always check dates. If it's just a few days past then it's fine if it's 2 weeks or more I toss it. But then again I never over buy food that it expires. For those that don't check dates and go by the if it smells, looks good and tastes good method I guess I won't be eating at your house.(no offense) Ketchup and mustard might be the only 2 things I would use way past expiration and I have and it was fine. Spices tend to lose their flavor after a few months so I always buy new if needed. Old medications I have used but only a couple months old. Not 3 years old.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:42 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
I looked at my apples, but none of them had any kind of date on them.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:53 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Rancid oils...yup it happens.
Dairy products....toss em or ask the friend to do the ole sniff...'hey hun does this smell sour?"...as person passes out from the smell.

I do my own canning ...and you bet it gets tossed after a certain time frame....but that's extremely rare...I tend to use it in a short time frame.

Worse was a sauce that the acid got over powering...pretty sure I created a car paint remover !

Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Expiration date means only one thing. It is the last date on which a retailer is obliged to guarantee the freshness of an unopened product. Absolutely nothing else is signified or implied.

Best-by means exactly what it says: The best time to eat it is by that date. Meaning maybe better before that date than after.

Once you get it home, determine whether to consume it or not using your three senses: Sight, Smell and Common

Old 01-03-2019, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cleaning out my refrigerator, discovered of course quite a few expired foods.

Some have the pull date, some best by date. But living alone, it creeps up on me...a half full mayo container is out of date. Most are not used even 3/4 before I need to toss and I despise wasting food. Usually buy a small size if available but they end up costing more.

I'd use some things past the pull date but not long, freshness you want in food products.

Last time I did this had to replace about a dozen spices...this time mayo, dressing, mustard, lemon curd, pesto etc.

So.....check out your cabinets and refrigerator!
good advise,but most foods,even if past expiration or use by date are not going to harm any of us. Those of us who are older grew up in a world with no expiration dates on foods. if it looked ok, spelled ok and tasted ok we ate it. I don't want to even think about how old some of the stuff we ate might have been. As for spices, they will not hurt you no matter how old, they just lose their strength.

I know what you mean about cleaning out the fridge. I am going to do that today. I know i have a jar of sourkraut (spelling) it there that I used once to make salad and am sure it is at least 3 months old: time to toss I think.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
Weekly I check the fridge, freezer, pantry and cabinets. Not all at the same time of course. Starting at our pantry and working clockwise each week one gets done.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Long story short, it was 14 below New Years Eve day...so I didn't go out to the store.

I had planned navy beans and ham....and had my Christmas ham bone ready and waiting....plus I like to practice my families tradition of eating black eyed peas on New Years Day.

So, I started rifling through my pantry....I had black eyed peas in a can, expired by a year....and a variety of other canned beans, garbanzos, black beans, seasoned butter beans.....some not expired. I was determined to make a bean soup using those cans of beans and my new crock pot.

Consequently.....I just had the occasion to look online for various canned foods, in this case a variety of canned beans....Which best by dates had expired.....and the results were quite surprising.....3-5 years for the beans that I was looking at.

The ham bean soup was a hit.....served it with cornbread and salad.

Condiments were different....3-4 mths was what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink