U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:26 PM

10,307 posts, read 5,909,194 times

Advertisements

I've found that the Daisy sour cream flip squeezable seems to last longer than the lift off lid in the plastic round container.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 PM

654 posts, read 150,039 times
OP mentioned pesto. Pesto freezes great. I freeze open containers of jam or salsa. Anything with vinegar last for ages, no need to worry about the pull date. Butter freezes, so I stock up when it is on sale. Flour can be frozen if a person doesn't use it regularly. I freeze all sorts of nuts so they don't get rancid. I write what the item is and the date on masking tape and put it on the container before freezing. I have soup, chili, chicken salad....all sorts of individually sized containers in my freezer for a quick meal.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:56 AM

2,854 posts, read 1,036,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I've found that the Daisy sour cream flip squeezable seems to last longer than the lift off lid in the plastic round container.
Thats because dairy and bread products go bad very quickly as soon you contaminate them, which you will do by just touching the inside of the lid with your dry fingers or even a spoon that you've touched.. Be scrupulously careful about that, and opened foods will last for weeks or months longer.

Even a jug of milk, if you carefully avoid touching the jug rim or underside of the cap, will clabber nicely in three week, but will taste lovely and not go "bad".
'.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:18 AM

7,687 posts, read 2,428,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I don't throw away condiments which are out of date, either.

The only condiments I use are Italian seasoning and balsamic vinegar. I get one container of each at a time and use them up in three months or less. Things like mustard and hot sauce contain lots of salt, so they are not on my list. Plain, non-fat yogurt takes the place of mayonnaise and sour cream and I buy it no more than a week before it's used.

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

4,740 posts, read 3,299,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cleaning out my refrigerator, discovered of course quite a few expired foods.

Some have the pull date, some best by date. But living alone, it creeps up on me...a half full mayo container is out of date. Most are not used even 3/4 before I need to toss and I despise wasting food. Usually buy a small size if available but they end up costing more.

I'd use some things past the pull date but not long, freshness you want in food products.

Last time I did this had to replace about a dozen spices...this time mayo, dressing, mustard, lemon curd, pesto etc.

So.....check out your cabinets and refrigerator!
Yesterday, we were going to have a small salad with our meal. wife said , what kind of dressing?, I replied something different than Italian. She went to the pantry and pulled out out a new unopened bottle of Kraft Buttermilk Ranch. I opened it and dumped some on the salad. I tasted it and something wasn't right. She did the same. We both said something ain't right. I looked at the use by date, it was 2015. Yep, check your dates.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM

12,735 posts, read 14,848,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh so true.....I just try to keep in the back of my head how long items have been open.....
Some things I have NO idea how long it's been open - and it goes in the trash. Last time I went through the refrigerator and pantry thoroughly I had a trash bag full of stuff to throw out. So I need to check more often!

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

1,939 posts, read 802,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Thats because dairy and bread products go bad very quickly as soon you contaminate them, which you will do by just touching the inside of the lid with your dry fingers or even a spoon that you've touched.. Be scrupulously careful about that, and opened foods will last for weeks or months longer.

Even a jug of milk, if you carefully avoid touching the jug rim or underside of the cap, will clabber nicely in three week, but will taste lovely and not go "bad".
'.
Sadly, if it has been pasteurized, that is no longer true. It will never turn into sour milk, it will just go bad. just go buy some buttermilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink