U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM

19,976 posts, read 4,226,452 times

Advertisements

I use this website to help me decide these occasional issues:

stilltasty.com

Just type in your food item in question and a screen comes up with amt of time that item can be safely kept. For dry and refrigerated items, fruits/vegs.

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
So, I am cleaning out the fridge the other day, and look at the dates on stuff...

Dijon Mustard- July 2010

Miracle Whip- April 2011

Lunch Meat- April 30, 2011

Should I throw everything out, or just make my sandwich? It all looks okay, and smells okay...

Onto the cupboard...

Hunt's Tomatoes canned, April 2010

Jello Pudding, Dry Mix December 2010

Cake Mix, March 2011

So, keep it all, or toss it all? What is the concensus on expired food...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,850,152 times
Good information, thanks!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,960,518 times
I tend to err on the side of caution lol

Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

31,596 posts, read 58,061,999 times
Food dates -- especially "sell by" dates -- on nonperishable foods are just suggestions. The only perishable food you really have here is the lunch meat.Naturally, you'll want to keep everything properly refrigerated and watch for funky smells, colors or sliminess. Otherwise, enjoy!

Dijon Mustard- July 2010
-- Keep it. This stuff has so much vinegar in it, it will never spoil. I have mustard in the fridge leftover from the Clinton administration. It's still good.

Miracle Whip- April 2011 -- Keep it, but try to use it up within the next month or so.

Lunch Meat- April 30, 2011
-- Use it up within the next day or two. Pitch it when it gets slimy or turns color.

Hunt's Tomatoes canned, April 2010 -- Keep it. Canned foods are good indefinitely! If the can bulges, or the food has an off color or odor when you open it, pitch it.

Jello Pudding, Dry Mix December 2010 -- Keep it. It's shelf-stable forever.

Cake Mix, March 2011 -- Keep it.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:26 AM

8,353 posts, read 13,049,842 times
I'd throw it all out. Keep in mind that just because something is still "good" because it isn't going to make you sick, doesn't mean it's still going to taste good. I once had some powdered instant hot chocolate that was only a month or two out of date. My husband kept insisting it would be fine and since it had so much sugar in it, I was inclined to agree with them. Well, I mixed it and took one sip of it and went "Uh, no, this has gone bad". It just tasted very, very wrong, lol. I was fine, didn't make me sick or anything... but ugh, it tasted horrible. Dumped the rest in the sink.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:50 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,680,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
If it were me....

Dijon Mustard- July 2010 Throw away

Miracle Whip- April 2011 Throw away

Lunch Meat- April 30, 2011 Throw away

Hunt's Tomatoes canned, April 2010 Throw away

Jello Pudding, Dry Mix December 2010 Keep it till end of year

Cake Mix, March 2011 Keep it till end of year

The last two I've used a year after the expiration date and the cake and pudding always came out fine.

I would keep all of it. I have no idea what miracle whip is but if it has dairy products, egg ( in other forms than powdered) or oil in it I might throw that away. Not sure.

The meat , you just smell it and look at it. Unless it smells bad or has mould on it , it's fine. I find expiration dates to usually be a little on the ungenerous side considering often the product if full of preservatives ( natural or not).

Mustard can last for years in my opinion. The acidity seems to keep it fresh for a long, long time.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,626,093 times
Miracle whip is a brand of mayonnaise or salad dressing. (Why they call some of it "salad dressing" is beyond me, I tend to consider that to be something you put on a salad.)

If you're not familiar with mayonnaise, it's similar to a Hollandaise, but kept cold and made with soybean oil instead of butter.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM

13,150 posts, read 21,412,813 times
I would not rely on the sniff/slime/turn color evaluation on the deli meat. It all depends on when the package was opened - exposure to the elements is what rapidly spoils it, and you can still get a really bad case of the runs from luncheon meat that has not turned color and/or smells just fine. If it has been opened and sitting in the fridge for more than a week, I would toss it regardless of the date stamped on it. If it is still hermetically sealed, and upon opening smells and appears to be fresh, I'd eat it up to a week after expiration date.

Condiments - the only problem possible with things like mustard or mayo is if it turns rancid. In the presence of the vinegar, this takes some time, esp. the mustard. Like Fontucky, I have some Dijon mustard purchased years ago that is still going strong in the fridge. A simple whiff of the MW will tell you if the oil has become rancid.

Related - I had a plain yogurt in the fridge that lasted about 8 months past the expiration date. I only ever needed a tablespoon here or there for putting on top of some spicy Indian foods, but always made sure to use a clean spoon.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM

13,036 posts, read 21,680,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Miracle whip is a brand of mayonnaise or salad dressing. (Why they call some of it "salad dressing" is beyond me, I tend to consider that to be something you put on a salad.)

If you're not familiar with mayonnaise, it's similar to a Hollandaise, but kept cold and made with soybean oil instead of butter.
Thanks. I love Mayo but only the real stuff ( home made is best - http://www.vinaigremalin.fr/wp-conte...mayonnaise.jpg ) , not Hellman's type of thing. Real mayo should not have butter but sunflower oil or very light olive oil.

Is it similar to American Mayo ( very pale in colour ,almost white ?) Somewhere between Hellman's and a shop bought Hollandaise ? What's the taste like ?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 PM

13,150 posts, read 21,412,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Thanks. I love Mayo but only the real stuff ( home made is best - http://www.vinaigremalin.fr/wp-conte...mayonnaise.jpg ) , not Hellman's type of thing. Real mayo should not have butter but sunflower oil or very light olive oil.

Is it similar to American Mayo ( very pale in colour ,almost white ?) Somewhere between Hellman's and a shop bought Hollandaise ? What's the taste like ?
It tastes noticeably sweeter than regular mayonnaise. Kids who don't care for mayo can be persuaded to use miracle whip. I don't see the point in smearing either onto anything if someone doesn't care for the flavor or texture - there's always hummus, or flavored butters, mustard, ajvar/pinjur, etc.

My mom doesn't spread her sandwich with anything at all - just dry bread with the meat and cheese - blech for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink