U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,634,603 times

Advertisements

Speaking of expiration dates....

I NEVER remember soft drinks having them when I was growing up. Never recalled a 'pop' tasting off. So when my husband called from work and said his location had a few 12 pks of diet pepsi that was dated for September of last year, did I want them?
Of course I did.
Ew.
I didn't expect anything to taste different so I poured a tall glass over ice, took a sip and gagged.

What the heck have they done to our soft drinks? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 5,166,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good point. Paranoia as a marketing tool! I love it ...
I knew expiration dates were BS when I saw them on a bottle of white vinegar.

Some university should do a study on consumer behavior in order to try to figure out how many tons of food we unnecessarily waste each year due to these.

So does the gov't regulate use and possibly misuse of these labels?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,986,557 times
One of the most persistent goofy urban myths is that the dates you see on packaged food are "expiration dates". They're not. They have nothing at all to do with food safety, and in fact are merely an inventory control device.

The FDA only requires an expiration date on a single food category in the entire supermarket: baby formula and some baby foods. And some states regulate fresh dairy products by an expiration date. Everything else is about best quality, not safety.

Do Food Expiration Dates Really Matter?

Everything else is voluntary, and has to do with possible food quality issues, not safety. A ten-year old can of green beans, as one example, is perfectly safe to eat, but it may have a slight reduction in color or taste quality.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

4,947 posts, read 4,397,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would keep everything!
If it looks ok, smells ok, taste ok and you kept all that food in the fridge, and the other stuff was never opened - then I don't see any reason to throw it away...
I use my eyes, nose and taste buds to tell me whether food should be tossed. If it passes the 3 checkpoints, I eat it. Besides, there are so many preservatives in processed food that it lasts well beyond the expiration date.

Just the other day, I found a wayward avocado (I love avocados) that had some moldy growths on the outside. Instead of tossing it, I checked it out: cut it in half and no mold on the inside but it wasn't the usual green color. So, I tasted it - no off taste but it just didn't taste like anything. So I asked myself, although it is probably okay for consumption will I enjoy it without any of the avocado notes. Nope, so I tossed it. Did I mention that I love avocados. And at $1.50/2.00 on sale, tossing an avocado is a big deal.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM

11,882 posts, read 10,740,149 times
I never shoot beyond the expiration date for refrigerated or buttery foods with moisture content. The only stuff I do consume after expiration (and that too on rare occasions) are crackers, popcorn, chips, and other dry foods.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 PM

31,647 posts, read 58,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I knew expiration dates were BS when I saw them on a bottle of white vinegar.
Vinegar has been known to become less acidic over time, so if you're using it for pickling or preserving, it's best to use fresh vinegar. Otherwise ... you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I never shoot beyond the expiration date for refrigerated or buttery foods with moisture content. The only stuff I do consume after expiration (and that too on rare occasions) are crackers, popcorn, chips, and other dry foods.
You're not paying attention. These are not expiration dates. Read the thread and educate yourself - and stop throwing away perfectly good food!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,560,034 times
Meat is something I won't store for long periods.

A good example is venison sausage made and frozen in November.
At the 6 month mark there is no comparison to the first month mark.

Any ground meat ( sausage, hamburger,) should not be kept for very long periods regardless how well it was wrapped.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM

912 posts, read 1,210,520 times
I'd put myself on the paranoid end when it comes to food safety/spoilage, but even I don't use the expiration date as a be-all and end-all.

Like Naturen said, I use my eyes, nose and taste buds to check. Unlike Naturen, if it fails any of those checkpoints, it gets tossed -- especially nose/taste. Perhaps I have wasted some food this way, but I'll take wasted food over a stomach bug.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:24 AM

124 posts, read 144,199 times
Default Expiration Dates on Soda Pop

I have bought soda (Diet Pepsi, mostly) from the little store on the corner by my place. They often stock drinks that are past the expiration date printed on the cap, and the drink is flat. How could a carbonated drink lose its fizz when it's in an airtight bottle? (I had thought at first that the expiration date was no big deal--it wouldn't be a health hazard, like it would be for a dairy product or meat.)

I feel like a wine snob now, but I'll check each bottle to make sure it is before the expiration date before I buy it.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM

3,313 posts, read 3,391,469 times
I always check dates on sodas and will refuse to drink it even if it's within the next 2 weeks. It should be around at least 30 days out. But the date is for taste, not spoiling, as far as I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink