Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,406,648 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting fact.......
Did you guys know, if you're milk comes close to the expiration date (but it's not sour yet), that you can prolong it's shelf life for several more days ?
Just pour the milk into a pot, and heat up (don't boil !), let it cool, and store again in the fridge.
The "new" milk will hold up for several more days, without turning sour.

I had to do it once so far (bought to much milk ), and it worked for me.

I was also told, that when you have wine and it turns sour, that eventually it will turn into vinegar.
Well, I can't tell you if it really works, or not.....because there was never a time, that I had wine leftover or spoil in my house.....LOL.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,386,117 times
Expiration dates?

Who reads those things?

I say, if it's not green on top, eat it!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:10 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,834,468 times
"Expiration Dates"..."Sell By ****" will vary depending on the item.
Pkg goods may have a Date shown to be 6 months to a year from now...depending on the product and when it was purchased. Shelf life will be also based on the life of store sales.
Dairy products are best if used within 2-3 days of purchase regardless of code date.
Deli items should be considered within the same venue as Dairy items.
Bread regardless of date will dry out if left in the open air (warm temp)...keeping in the fridge will keep it longer as the moisture within the product will sustain it...then again freezing the bread while fresh can be kept for a longer period...thawing a couple of slices in the micro for a few seconds and if desired put in the toaster for toast with your eggs. (I buy 3-4 loaves of fresh coded bread and place in the freezer that last me 2-3 weeks).
Some canned goods can be saved for months regardless of date shown...exception would be canned fruits/certain acidty veggies will sour. (when it smells strange...throw OUT).
When a can seems to puff out at the top or bottom...its SPOILED and should be thrown.
The slightest sign of GREEN MOULD the entire item is to be pitched. (you don't need food poisoning)
Grocery stores do try to rotate their mdse when stocking...especially Deli/Dairy/Produce items.
I was in the Grocery trade 23 yrs and could go into more detail but for now only the major basics. Steve

Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,673 times
How long can I keep a frozen dinner in the freezer. My husband goes through them and will not eat them if the date is expired. I think it is still good because if was frozen from the start. Who is right?

Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM

49,954 posts, read 63,265,686 times
The other day, I bought some local, free range, cage free eggs and they did not have a Sell by date. They had a Packaged on Feb 14 date. I had to think about this one and decided they were pretty fresh and they'll get used up soon anyway. I had never seen this before. Incidentally, they were not graded as to size, but are several different sizes, which was something new too.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Here's an interesting fact.......
Did you guys know, if you're milk comes close to the expiration date (but it's not sour yet), that you can prolong it's shelf life for several more days
The BEST way to prolong the life of fresh milk is to control the temperature that it is stored at. Milk stored at 34F will last almost twice as long as that held at 43F.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,198,257 times
Default Expiration Dates on Food

So, I am cleaning out the fridge the other day, and look at the dates on stuff...

Dijon Mustard- July 2010

Miracle Whip- April 2011

Lunch Meat- April 30, 2011

Should I throw everything out, or just make my sandwich? It all looks okay, and smells okay...

Onto the cupboard...

Hunt's Tomatoes canned, April 2010

Jello Pudding, Dry Mix December 2010

Cake Mix, March 2011

So, keep it all, or toss it all? What is the concensus on expired food...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,931,342 times
If it were me....

Dijon Mustard- July 2010 Throw away

Miracle Whip- April 2011 Throw away

Lunch Meat- April 30, 2011 Throw away

Hunt's Tomatoes canned, April 2010 Throw away

Jello Pudding, Dry Mix December 2010 Keep it till end of year

Cake Mix, March 2011 Keep it till end of year

The last two I've used a year after the expiration date and the cake and pudding always came out fine.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Except for the MW I wouldn't throw any of it away. The MW I'm holding judgment on because I hate it and have never bought it, so I have no experience with it.

I have 3 year expired yellow mustard that tastes just fine, and I keep it in the pantry. Mustard is such a highly acid environment, the bad bugs can't get a foothold.

If the meat smells ok, use it. Your nose never lies.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:47 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
I would keep everything!
If it looks ok, smells ok, taste ok and you kept all that food in the fridge, and the other stuff was never opened - then I don't see any reason to throw it away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink