Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 08:57 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,141,031 times

Advertisements

I saw this article and it got me thinking about the Mediterranean diet again... Health Benefits from Intermittent Fasting

The Mediterranean diet has a great reputation for promoting longevity and health, but, I've always suspected that a great deal of the benefit should be attributed to the Mediterranean (Catholic/Orthodox) practice of frequent religious fasts. What are your thoughts? Anyone know any studies comparing the diet for someone living in the Mediterranean vs. other parts of the world? Anyone tried strictly adhering to it and had good/bad results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:18 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,564,672 times
I have to believe the fact that the diet revolves around unprocessed, natural foods has more to do with the benefits of this diet than the specific foods themselves, or fasting.

The Mediterranean Diet revolves around foods specific to that area. If you live in, say, Scandinavia, Mexico, or Australia, some of those foods will not be native to your area. But each of those areas are going to have incredibly healthful foods native to those areas and may in fact produce the same results.

Last night, my husband read about a group of people in Papua New Guinea who have virtually no cancer, heart issues, or even acne because of their diet. They mainly eat sweet potatoes, yams, taro, fruits and fish. They don't eat Western processed foods.
(I'm sure a quick search could help find this article.)

Lots of studies have been done about the longevity of people in Okinawa, Japan.

I've read book after book about about nutrition and health, and they always come back to eating mainly plant-based foods, with a small amount of protein.

But I do not recall reading anything about the benefits of fasting. There are some people who practice calorie reduction and remain underweight as a path to good health. But, they also eat only unprocessed foods, as far as I know.

Many people in India fast for religious reasons, too, but does it do them any good? I really don't know. Curious, though.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:54 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,095,090 times
i didnt read the link,,,,,

my son was following a morning (til noon) fast everyday and said the body will burn up calories at a faster rate...no matter what the calories are once you start eating after 12..

hes 24 and many of his peers seem to be doing this,,,

im following the high protein low carb diet,,,like the paleo and thats been the most successful to me...

i eat mostly meats and have a fruit/veggie smoothie once a day..

by far this has been the best diet .....for me, and my sister (in her mid 50's)

my dr. said....well you might be eating too much meat......but then said,,,,,you are over 50, strong as a horse, (can still bench press 325lbs) and have no allergies or problems,,,, (the dr is my same age and hes on 3 medications and eats little meat)
the dr said,,keep doing what you are doing.. (he said he sees many healthy eaters with many problems) so
whatever im doing,,,keep on doing..

Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM

22,622 posts, read 24,466,288 times
I eat my last meal of the day from 3pm to 5pm....then do not eat again until at least 7am the next morning. So sometimes I will finish dinner by 310pm.....then not eat again until 810am the next day.....17 hours with no food.

I eat 3 meals a day...and that is it, no other calories and no snacking. This way of eating seems to work the best for me......and I have tried the 4 to 6 meals a day thingy, did not like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss