U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times

Advertisements

It may help you to keep your fruits and veggies seperated in your fridge. The ripening agents (both natural and used in agricultural practice) will cause your veg die faster. Remember: fruits are any parts of the plant with seeds in them (or that should, could, or will have seeds).
Good luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Foot 3 View Post
I have a question for you experts out there. I really am trying to eat more Salads and i want to use the healthiest leaf vegetable as the base of my salad like Kale or Spinach and not Lettace for example. But when i buy Kale and put it in the fridge it wilts after about 3 days. Any secrets to help it last longer in the Fridge.

Thanks for any advice !!
6/3

Believe it or not, I wrap my fresh veggies in paper towels and I just saw on a show about putting a sponge in your veggie crisper tray. It will absorb all the moisture.

That's what I have been using a papertowel for. I would fold one up and put it in with onions, chopped bell peppers and what nots in baggies.

Hope that helped

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
I buy leafy lettuce. I find it keeps best in a plastic bag in the crisper, and each time I open it and put it away, I sprinkle some water into it, flicking it into the bag with my fingertips. It keeps for weeks that way. I never wash them.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,431,452 times
A great trick i learned from my friend's sister who caters is to soak your kale or other greens in an ice cold water bath for 30 min and then shake the water off & wrap it in clean dish towels. Throw the towel-wrapped greens in a plastic bag (the big double-handed grocery bags are the best), tie them up & they'll keep for nearly a week in the refrig before yellowing. This also works with bunches of parsley & cilantro.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
I just got my red leafy lettuce out of the fridge, which I hadn't been eating much because I had made cole slaw. The date on the checkout sticker was January 23. That's 37 days in the fridge. It was mostly gone, but every leaf was still crisp and perfect, but it was turning a bit brown down near the heart where earlier leaves had been removed.

I keep it in the crisper, in the original plastic produce bag. When I put it away, I squeeze most of the air out of it, but not enough to crush the lettuce, then close the bag tightly. When I'm putting it away, if it feels a bit dried out, I flick a few drops of water in there with my fingertips.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-29-2012 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,585,527 times
If it does start wilting but isn't rotten yet, try making kale chips. Basically just toss some destemmed kale, oil, and salt together and bake in the oven at 350 until it's crisp but not burnt.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,618,213 times
Default Re: ;the greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
A great trick i learned from my friend's sister who caters is to soak your kale or other greens in an ice cold water bath for 30 min and then shake the water off & wrap it in clean dish towels. Throw the towel-wrapped greens in a plastic bag (the big double-handed grocery bags are the best), tie them up & they'll keep for nearly a week in the refrig before yellowing. This also works with bunches of parsley & cilantro.
After working for Safeway for years and having a great deal of "produce" experience what you are saying above is pretty much right on.

I don't do a ice water bath, but I rinse all greens (lettuce, spinach etc) in cold water, shake or let dry a while, then wrap with paper towels and store in the veg keeper (without fruits etc).
The result is that they keep up to 2 weeks. I never rinse cabbage, cauliflower, root vegies, as the water will cause the veg to spoil, get soft etc. quicker.

I keep red potatoes in the "dry" veg keeper and they keep very well. Most stores put red potatoes on the wet rack as they keep better.

HW

Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,529 times
I was having the same problem with most of my veggies wilting. I this guys video and tried it. It works great! He just treats them like roses. He cuts the stem and them puts the stalk in water for a few hours. Even if they are alreay wilted, they will perk right up.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr_lrFRcL-Q]how to keep veggies crisp and fresh - YouTube[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink