U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:07 PM

265 posts, read 1,070,397 times

Advertisements

I baked a couple of sheets of oatmeal cookies today. Turned into my little science experiment. Here is what happened:

dark, nonstick on silpat sheet = all ran together & flattened out
regular silver cookie sheet with silpat sheet = dark & crunchy
dark, nonstick, no silpat = chewy, burned on bottom, half raw on top
pampered chef pizza stone - baked evenly, cooked slowly, flattened out

I used the recipe for "vanishing oatmeal & raisin cookies" on the Quaker Oats box which calls for 2 sticks of butter (thought this also may have something to do with the flattening), but I never have any luck with my cookies on these cookie sheets.

I hate my cookie sheets! Tell me where to buy a good, tried & true sheet. I liked my airbakes but my hubby threw them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
I baked a couple of sheets of oatmeal cookies today. Turned into my little science experiment. Here is what happened:

I used the recipe for "vanishing oatmeal & raisin cookies" on the Quaker Oats box which calls for 2 sticks of butter (thought this also may have something to do with the flattening), but I never have any luck with my cookies on these cookie sheets.

I hate my cookie sheets! Tell me where to buy a good, tried & true sheet. I liked my airbakes but my hubby threw them out.
Have you tried silicone? I have not but know of two people at work that swear by their silicone baking sheets that they got from QVC. They claim you can use it up to 450 and it bakes very evenly. I have always been curious about it.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,130,550 times
I love my Pampered Chef cookie sheet stone. I don't make cookies on anything else.

The silicone ones are everywhere, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,055,041 times
Quote:

OMG, somebody else that has basically the same results I do. Do you know how many cookie sheet pans I have bought over the years??? My daughter turned me on to the baking stone, cookies come out pretty good...

Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 PM

265 posts, read 1,070,397 times
Addendum to my results tally:
As I was typing this post, the cookies were cooling. I later discovered that every single cookie on the Pampered Chef stone was permanently WELDED to the stone, so that I could only remove them by running the whole thing under water & scraping them off with a spatula. I even gave my kids the stone & said "who wants a cookie?! Help yourself!" and my 5 year old & 3 year old had a ball (but no luck) trying to pick the cookies off with their hands.

I have a silicone loaf pan. It's OK but I wonder if there are any long-term issues associated with cooking in silicone. It seems unsafe for some reason

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM

306 posts, read 1,462,400 times
AirBake! They're fairly cheap and you can get them anywhere, the trick is to put it (really any cookie sheet) into the oven while the oven is pre-heating sans cookies. If the sheet is pre-warmed all your batches will bake evenly. If you don't do this, allow your first pan to bake longer than all subsequent pans.

Don't forget to take your cookies out of the oven before they're "perfect." They'll continue to bake while "cooling" on the sheet.

When cleaning up, don't submerge in water, but other than that, they're great cookie sheets!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 AM

320 posts, read 827,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
Don't forget to take your cookies out of the oven before they're "perfect." They'll continue to bake while "cooling" on the sheet.
I had those same problems for years when making cookies and then I did two things - one is exactly what Foxy advises above - take them out before they look done. And number two I verified the heat in my oven was working correctly - found out it was off - fixed that and I've had golden brown soft cookies each time! My cookie sheets are just Wally-mart junkie ones too. This cookie stone has peaked my interest though.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,130,550 times
Quote:
Addendum to my results tally:
As I was typing this post, the cookies were cooling. I later discovered that every single cookie on the Pampered Chef stone was permanently WELDED to the stone, so that I could only remove them by running the whole thing under water & scraping them off with a spatula. I even gave my kids the stone & said "who wants a cookie?! Help yourself!" and my 5 year old & 3 year old had a ball (but no luck) trying to pick the cookies off with their hands.

I have a silicone loaf pan. It's OK but I wonder if there are any long-term issues associated with cooking in silicone. It seems unsafe for some reason
I have used my stones for years and have never had this happen. I always grease them, even if the recipe says "ungreased cookie sheet". They always come right off and they're not overdone or underdone.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:27 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
I second the AirBake nomination. I've got a collection of them, and they're great. My second choice would be a plain ol' shiny cookie sheet.

Occasionally I use parchment for more delicate cookies, but it's not a necessity.

I do not like using a stone for cookies. They over-brown on the edges, but the centers aren't cooked. Ick.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
My cookie sheets are non-stick, but lighter than most. Also has that air-sandwich thing going on. They work perfectly, haven't scorched or burned yet. The insulation is key - when the hot air hits the bottom of the pan, it makes the underside of the cookies fill up with heat fast, while the tops rely on circulating heat - that's the recipe for burned around the edges, raw on top or in the middle.

If you don't have the insulated kind of cookie sheet, then you can get around this by placing another cookie sheet empty on the rack directly below the one you're baking in. It acts as a baffle to keep the bottom of the cookie sheet with the cookies on them from heating up too quickly - even baking is the result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink