U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 AM

10 posts, read 18,527 times

Advertisements

If you go on a dumpster diving tour with NY freegans ones....you will never look at the dumpsters behind stores the same way...it is amazingly scary how much food,breads and produce goes in to the garbage every evening...sad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 06:20 AM

19 posts, read 20,713 times
I live in a low income building that gets trader joes food on the "sell by" date. We have a weekly pantry, but even our building stiff us on our food. It goes to a church center and there are tons of boxes that are supposed to go to us but by the time it gets to us all the good stuff is missing and there are way less boxes...!

Old 09-22-2013, 06:23 AM

19 posts, read 20,713 times
Yeah because of people getting left over food in the bay area (sf) alot of dumpster have gotten locks on them or stores will dump bleach in garbage bins to make the food un edible and keep homeless people and freegans out.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendolly View Post
There's a reason why you should eat anything out of a can that's been dented. But if you want to take your life in your hands then go ahead.
Do you mean SHOULDN'T eat out of a dented can?

Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,337,286 times
I recently watched the movie Elysium. In many ways it reminds of now instead of the distant future. What a shameful and wasteful nation - the USA. There has to be a better way but with greed, corporate interests and litigation, I will remain doubtful until the consequences of such a wanton lifestyle and ideology knocks on the door.

In 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a luxurious space station called Elysium and the poor, who live on an overpopulated, devastated Earth. While residents on Earth are policed by ruthless robots, Elysian citizens live in comfort and regularly use man-sized medical devices called Med-Bays to keep them free of disease. It explores political and sociological themes such as immigration, overpopulation, transhumanism, healthcare, and class issues.
Elysium (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
Many of my family members starved to death during Stalin's artificial famines. My mother was five years old when she woke up hungry in the middle of the night and took the last little crust of bread the family had. The next morning she found her mother's and little brother's bloated bodies, dead from starvation. She never forgave herself and lived with the guilt her entire life.
She instilled in me a healthy respect for food and not letting it go to waste. I don't even throw out old bread because I know hungry birds will appreciate it. Food scraps go to skunks, raccoons and homeless cats.
When I see the food waste at the hospital where I work, it breaks my heart. Entire pans of pizza, tuna salad plates, roast beef, huge pans of Asian grilled salmon...trashed.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:10 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Many of my family members starved to death during Stalin's artificial famines. My mother was five years old when she woke up hungry in the middle of the night and took the last little crust of bread the family had. The next morning she found her mother's and little brother's bloated bodies, dead from starvation. She never forgave herself and lived with the guilt her entire life.
She instilled in me a healthy respect for food and not letting it go to waste. I don't even throw out old bread because I know hungry birds will appreciate it. Food scraps go to skunks, raccoons and homeless cats.
When I see the food waste at the hospital where I work, it breaks my heart. Entire pans of pizza, tuna salad plates, roast beef, huge pans of Asian grilled salmon...trashed.
thats quite a story- most of us have been fortunate-we dont know hunger- my grandmother use to tell me stories about the depression in the 1930's that they did go hungry for days, and almost had to beg and grovel for food-quite humiliating- her brothers/uncles/father had to hunt for food-and hope they shot something, so they could eat
I remember peeling potatoes and carrots with her-and she would get angry if i was peeling too deeply
I was young and couldnt relate- thought she was just being mean

as kids, we had to "clean our plates" before we could leave the dinner table- i'd try to give my veggies to the dog,,,,and get hell for doing that

I work in the food industry, and one place i worked- we did donate the edible foods to local soup kitchens, and when we had a food trade show- the soup kitchens would come get the food-their were tons of it..

a word to the dumpster divers- one reason stores dont allow this-or lock the dumpsters is because if just one person got an outdated package ,,and screams they got sick,,,gets a lawyer and sues the store,,, and does not volunteer they got it from the dumpster-this can kill a stores reputation
this actually happened in one store and the store settled out of court so "consumer gets sick from grocery store" wasnt the headline of the local paper-we are in a sue happy society-
also, Ive personally dumped rotten chicken and chicken juice in dumpsters- it could kill someone,,
also,,skunks, rodents get into dumpsters, and shyt all over the place

I would never get in a dumpster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink