U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:16 AM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times

Advertisements

I haven't looked up the recipe yet, but Paula Deen had crockpot mac & cheese on yesterday. It looked so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,703,656 times
On Sunday I had a big crowd to feed. I had to make 2 Corned Beef. I did one in the crock pot and the other on the stovetop. The crock pot one came out so much better!! 2 totally different textures - the stovetop one had to be cut, but the crock pot one was more 'stringy' and fell apart - much moister.

Also, for the whole chix - but add a few cans of the lemon chix broth for a little more flavor.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,337,485 times
You can cook soups, stews, whole chicken or parts, roasts, all kinds of things. I make a great chili con queso dip in a crock pot. The best part is you throw it all in and forget about it. For the most part if they stay in an extra hour no big deal. Have fun!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM

979 posts, read 3,486,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I haven't looked up the recipe yet, but Paula Deen had crockpot mac & cheese on yesterday. It looked so good.
MMmmmmmmm now that would be soooo good I bet!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 PM

979 posts, read 3,486,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
On Sunday I had a big crowd to feed. I had to make 2 Corned Beef. I did one in the crock pot and the other on the stovetop. The crock pot one came out so much better!! 2 totally different textures - the stovetop one had to be cut, but the crock pot one was more 'stringy' and fell apart - much moister.

Also, for the whole chix - but add a few cans of the lemon chix broth for a little more flavor.
I didn't know they made lemon chicken broth. That would make sense i guess.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:57 PM

443 posts, read 743,653 times
Default Slow Cooker questions

One thing I've been wanting to learn how to do for a long time is learn how to cook - it gets old having to rely on ramen noodles/fried eggs/tuna and other simple meals after the 1,000th time. I stumbled across a post on here mentioning the virtues of the slow cooker and being able to come home to a tasty hot meal: I'd like to follow up.

Are they versatile? I know you can make meat and stews in them, but what about things like ribs/BBQ chicken? What about other types of meals like pasta/rice/casseroles?

Are they safe? The idea of leaving something on making high heat while unattended seems like it could easily lead to you coming home to a burnt house.

Would they be a good way of learning how to cook - how can I find out more?

Does anyone use them regularly and have any comments?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 PM

315 posts, read 944,696 times
I threw in some chicken legs (can do the same with chicken parts).Put potatoes in the bottom, didn't even peel them.Dumped a large family sized can of mushroom soup and an envelope of onion soup mix on the all, plugged the slow cooker in and was gone for over 8 hours. Delicious meal when I came home.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 PM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Yes they're safe. Just have clear space around it.

Pot roast and carrots.

Pot roast, cover with baby carrots and a mixture of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup.
Cook all day on low.
Pull the roast and carrots, drain broth into sauce pan.
Add the water you boil potatoes in to the broth. Bring to a boil while mashing your potatoes. Add a mixture of corn starch and water to the boiling broth while stirring briskly. Bring back to a boil while stirring. You've just now made gravy without lumps,

Meatballs and sauce.
Make meatballs and microwave for around 9 minutes.
Put in the crock and cover with spaghetti sauce, refrigerate overnight.
Cook all day on low.
Turn off the sauce while your spaghetti is cooking.
I also add cooked sweet Italian sausage to the sauce and meatballs.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM

33,578 posts, read 51,786,623 times
I am not very fond of slow cooker but found those interesting threads for you:

crockpot (for dummies)
Pretty sure I could live with a crockpot and rice cooker as my only appliances
Crockpot ideas for work holiday luncheon?
Crockpot confidential
Slow Cookers
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...t-recipes.html
Crock Pot / Slow Cooker Recipes

Enjoy!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,544,367 times
Did a really nice lasagne a week or two ago in one. REALLY good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink