U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,613,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
I'm considering buying a slow cooker. Was looking at a few at Target today, and saw some very basic ones, and fancier ones with timers and thermometers.

Crockpot is the brand name most familiar, but are there other brands you would recommend? Are the extras mentioned above useful?

Any advice or recommendations on buying a slow cooker would be appreciated.
I have several different brands, and have found that the original Rival Crockpot, for me, cooks the best. It seems to have the most even/reliable temperature. I have a Corningware one that I love the size of, but it cooks at a higher heat, even on low, than my original Crockpots do. And when it cooks at that slightly higher heat, things don't come out as tender as they do with the original Rival Crockpot. That has been my observation. Granted, I haven't used every new Rival Crockpot that has come out, and I thought the very first ones, without the removable crock, were the very best.

One of the best things I've found to do with a crockpot is cook a rump roast in it all day on low - like 10 to 12 hours. It comes out so tender it falls apart with a fork. I like to cook it and shred it and make mashed potatoes and brown gravy and have open faced roast beef sandwiches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
Default I am thinking about getting a slow cooker! Recos?

So I think I am going to join the slow cooker party. These days, I am working late and commuting, so I get home at about 7 or later, and I want some good alternative for dinner.

It would be great to go home, and not that dinner is mostly done.

Any tips on a good slow cooker to get? I live alone, so no big slow cookers for me. Enough for 1-4 servings roughly is plenty.

I have also been intrigued by these cookers that will sear/brown in the same pot. That would be excellent and help me build flavor, although I may be optimistic thinking I would do that in the AM. I might just prep all the night before, and then throw it in the pot. But it does sound like a cook time saver. At least I could get my onions sautéed etc.

So you tell me, what slow cooker do you use? What do you like to make? Should I get one of those multi-cookers?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:46 PM

13,904 posts, read 11,005,603 times
I've got a plain Crock-Pot brand slow cooker. It has high, medium, and warm. It doesn't sear or braise, but I do that on the stove while I'm peeling potatoes, carrots, whatever else is going into the pot.

I cook just for myself. I use my Crock-Pot at least every couple of weeks, usually more like every week. There's really nothing tastier or more tender than meat that has been braised, then slow cooked for 5-6 hours with all the embellishments and seasonings. One of my favorites is short or country ribs. Delicious!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Any 3- to 4-quart cooker will do. That will give you enough for dinner and a few days' worth of leftovers, but is still big enough for a small roast. Get one with a removable crock.

I have a 30-year-old Crock Pot (decorated in a lovely 80s country print!). The brand is now made by Jarden. West Bend and Hamilton Beach also make a variety of slow cookers. There's really no need to spend more than $25, but if you want to spend a little more, you can get cookers with timers, more heat settings, etc.

I make soups, stews, roasts, desserts, dips - you name it! You can even bake in the danged things.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: punctuation transgression

Old 04-15-2014, 01:15 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,749,402 times
Plain old crockpot with removable crock here too.

Check out this website to get ideas and great recipes. A Year of Slow Cooking

Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
I have a probably 1980s-vintage medium sized round Crock Pot-brand slow cooker that I got at a church rummage sale in about 1999, and a larger, oval Hamilton Beach stainless steel one that I got new in probably 2011 or so. They both work identically, in terms of how well they work...the Hamilton Beach one has the removable crock which can be easier for cleanup, and the Crock Pot one does not, it's from before that feature became standard. But it's small enough that it's not a hard cleanup even without the removable crock.

We use them a ton. There are two of us, and we usually use the smaller, but the larger one is good for soups or chili, and I used it to do all my corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. The last thing we made in one was gumbo, on Saturday night. We did have to make the roux on the stove, first, but then the whole stew cooked in the slow cooker while we were out hiking.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:24 PM

26,876 posts, read 28,154,657 times
I think I definitely want the timer! I plan to leave it on while I am at work. And then I will have no excuses for not making curry!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:29 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
I don't have a model that sears because I know that I'll never use it. In the mornings, I have just enough time to dump it all in the crock pot and dash out the door. Anything more complicated isn't going to happen in my world.

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, but the one feature I do love is the "switch to warm" ... I can set it to cook on low for 8 hours, and when the time is up, it switches to warm. Once you figure in commuting and lunch, I'm gone from home for more like 10-11 hours. If it were on low that whole time, dinner would be overcooked and dry. The warm setting prevents that from happening.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:30 PM

33,582 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Some suggestions:
Rice/Pressure Cooker - Recommend One!
Wanted: Crock Pot made in the USA

Old 04-15-2014, 02:06 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
You do not need anything fancy or too frilly. I even own a small one from Dollar General and it works just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink