U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:07 PM

15,199 posts, read 15,232,299 times

Advertisements

You can get a really neato crockpot....with a built-in timer and adjustable, thermostatically-controlled temperature for around 40 bucks. Myself, I have a cheapo that I bought for about 12 bucks.....does the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,853,466 times
http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-8490...ds=slow+cooker

I have two of these and I love them. The base can be put on the stove burner which is great when I've cooked stew meat for Beef and Noodles. I can take the beef out then put the base on the stove and make the sauce for the noodles without using a separate dish.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:40 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,506,049 times
I have a multi-function Fagor 6-quart. It browns, slow cooks, and pressure cooks. It also has a rice setting, which cooks rice under pressure (6 minutes). The nonstick insert is removable. I really like it; we use it frequently, and there are only two of us.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,619,522 times
I only cook for myself and bought one several years ago which is rarely used because the recipes mostly call for the meat to be browned. I have no interest is messing up another pan to wash.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM

26,879 posts, read 28,176,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I have a multi-function Fagor 6-quart. It browns, slow cooks, and pressure cooks. It also has a rice setting, which cooks rice under pressure (6 minutes). The nonstick insert is removable. I really like it; we use it frequently, and there are only two of us.
Ooh this sounds like a winner. And I could get rid of my rice cooker.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:39 AM

17,168 posts, read 22,195,062 times
the older i get, the more i use the slow cooker,,

throw a whole chicken in the morning, and it cooks while at work-come home and the house smells great and the chicken is done!!
same as a chuck roast, pork roast,

its also good for beef ribs, and pork ribs

Old 04-19-2014, 08:34 AM

69,353 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I think I am going to join the slow cooker party. These days, I am working late and commuting, so I get home at about 7 or later, and I want some good alternative for dinner.

It would be great to go home, and not that dinner is mostly done.

Any tips on a good slow cooker to get? I live alone, so no big slow cookers for me. Enough for 1-4 servings roughly is plenty.

I have also been intrigued by these cookers that will sear/brown in the same pot. That would be excellent and help me build flavor, although I may be optimistic thinking I would do that in the AM. I might just prep all the night before, and then throw it in the pot. But it does sound like a cook time saver. At least I could get my onions sautéed etc.

So you tell me, what slow cooker do you use? What do you like to make? Should I get one of those multi-cookers?
We have 4 different sizes and the one we use the most, because there are just 2 of us is a 2 quart one. No, it isn't fancy, but does have high, low, and warm settings. My only problem, it takes a long to heat, but as soon as it does, everything else is fine and if you are starting your meal in the morning, for dinner at night, who cares how long it takes to heat. We also have a 3 qt, a 6 qt and a 1.5 quart. The small one is really more for keeping appetizers hot, etc.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I've got a plain Crock-Pot brand slow cooker. It has high, medium, and warm. It doesn't sear or braise, but I do that on the stove while I'm peeling potatoes, carrots, whatever else is going into the pot.

I cook just for myself. I use my Crock-Pot at least every couple of weeks, usually more like every week. There's really nothing tastier or more tender than meat that has been braised, then slow cooked for 5-6 hours with all the embellishments and seasonings. One of my favorites is short or country ribs. Delicious!
sounds just like us, but there are two of us. Ours isn't fancy, still it does a great job. We had a small pot roast in it last night. I just stuck the roast in, a little seasoning, some water, a bit of wine.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You can get a really neato crockpot....with a built-in timer and adjustable, thermostatically-controlled temperature for around 40 bucks. Myself, I have a cheapo that I bought for about 12 bucks.....does the job.
you sound more like our family. If I am going to be gone and I know all we want is for our meat to be ready in 8 hours or so, we just use heat. It I am going to be home I will start it on High and then turn it down after 2 or 3 hours. We cook so much in ours, not just meats and veggies, but soup, chili, spaghetti sauce etc. I think the most expensive one we have was our 6 qt. It was about $30.00. The rest were almost nothing.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:38 AM

18,033 posts, read 17,175,920 times
You don't need anything fancy. Mine is old and only has high or low. My previous one had a setting for starting on high and then going to low later on.

No worry about a timer--you can be at work all day and nothing will happen. I used to worry it would burn the house down or cook for too long and be all dried out. Never happened--I laugh about it now.

For anyone who says they don't want to brown the meat first because they'll have to clean the pan, get a cast iron frying pan. You just wipe them out.
(Church rummage sales, thrift shops to get the really good ones & save money.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink