Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:06 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times

Advertisements

I am in a bit of a quandry over what I can make/bake/take to a young family that has just moved into a new home across the street from me.

Generally, I would bake nice muffins for a light breakfast, or some cookies for an afternoon treat. I was baking two batches of cookies yesterday, Toll House and some toffee/oatmeal, when all sorts of things ran through my mind.

What if they have a food allergy? don't eat cookies? are diabetic? are vegetarians? and so on. . .

So, are the days of baking something for others, to be neighborly, largely passe? If not, what do you make that is safe? Or do you just prepare what you want, share all of the ingredients (as in nuts or something), and let them decide what to do with your gift, even if it's to trash it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,383 times
I would probably avoid nuts, as they seem to be a common allergy. Other than that, I think if you take over a plate of cookies or muffins, they would appreciate it. In this instance, it is the thought that counts. They will feel welcomed to the neighborhood, even if they are unable to eat the gift.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
I agree. Nix the nuts - but other than that I think its pretty much safe. If they happen to have something - they just won't eat them. I truly is the thought that counts.......ummmmmm by the way...I could use a batch of cookies here...with nuts.....can I be your neighbor? lol

Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,965 times
Most certainly, and welcome, Neighbor!

I love to cook, and it's just my husband and me these days. I had thought about breakfast items -- help Mom get the kids off to school, but some folks don't eat eggs, or have an allergy to them, so that nixed my breakfast quiche. I decided upon the cookies because I figured they might all enjoy those. And it's been awhile since people were baking up a storm at holiday time.

When another neighbor had surgery awhile back, I took dinner to the family, only to discover the Mom and the eldest boy are vegetarians, so they had to make a meal of the fruit salad, the bread, a cobbler, and iced T. The others got a treat of Shepherd's pie.

Thanks for the suggestions. Cookies, it is!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
What a great neighbor you are. I would say the cookies the kids will love them.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
A pot of Italian Garden Soup, made vegetarian with vegetable bouillon instead of chicken and leaving out the chicken meat itself, is warming, sustaining, and welcoming - and easy to make!

That makes a good "what do they eat - or, worse, NOT eat?" food gift to take when someone is ill in the family.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
Wish I had a neighbor like you!!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM

324 posts, read 1,707,099 times
How very thoughtful. Warm muffins in the am, nothing better...well, than cookies! ha

Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I am in a bit of a quandry over what I can make/bake/take to a young family that has just moved into a new home across the street from me.

Generally, I would bake nice muffins for a light breakfast, or some cookies for an afternoon treat. I was baking two batches of cookies yesterday, Toll House and some toffee/oatmeal, when all sorts of things ran through my mind.

What if they have a food allergy? don't eat cookies? are diabetic? are vegetarians? and so on. . .

So, are the days of baking something for others, to be neighborly, largely passe? If not, what do you make that is safe? Or do you just prepare what you want, share all of the ingredients (as in nuts or something), and let them decide what to do with your gift, even if it's to trash it?
You DO sound like a very nice neighbor! I think you're over-thinking it though, you just bring whatever gift you'd like to cook, and chances are they'll eat it.
If not, they'll still appreciate your thoughtfullness, and perhaps they can pass it on to somebody who will enjoy it. I wouldn't kill yourself considering all possible food allergies and likes/dislikes. After all, beggars can't be choosers!

By the way, my husband and I eat very few sweets so we'd be MUCH happier with your quiche! See what a slippery slope this worry stuff is?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I'm flirting with a high A1c. I know what kinds of carbs will affect my blood sugar. About once a month a friend invites me over for coffee and a brownie. I don't have sweets in the house so she gives me a great treat. If I'm offered something I shouldn't have I don't mind saying "can't, high blood sugar but thank you for the thought." All in all it is the thought that counts and it's really nice to be thought of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink