Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times

Advertisements

Last Passover I arrived too late to the party.
3 days before the holiday 6 grocery stores I went to were picked clean of this heavenly cut.
I personally love this cut. I have different was of preparing it which make it different each time it's served.
For a poor man's meat it sure is expensive though!!!

Anyway getting back to last Passover.
I gave up after standing in line behind a couple who spent 200.00 on brisket alone. They bought the last ones in the store!!!!
I resorted to a chicken dish��
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
3 days before the holiday 6 grocery stores I went to were picked clean of this heavenly cut.
I personally love this cut. I have different was of preparing it which make it different each time it's served.
Apparently, brisket got "discovered" like chicken wings. What's next, $7.99/lb neck bones?

Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Apparently, brisket got "discovered" like chicken wings. What's next, $7.99/lb neck bones?
now that has to be my biggest smile of the day, but it could be the next specialty meat, who would be surprised? They actually are pretty good, we ate them as kids. None of us ever wanted to eat chicken wings. dad and mom loved pickled pigs feet. I think they are pretty up there in price now.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
you are close.... beef marrow bones...their sales have tripled in the last 5 years..

people buy them for their dogs .....and soup/stew stock/broth but I also hear customers telling me they eat the marrow.....after baking them..

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
now that has to be my biggest smile of the day, but it could be the next specialty meat, who would be surprised? They actually are pretty good, we ate them as kids. None of us ever wanted to eat chicken wings. dad and mom loved pickled pigs feet. I think they are pretty up there in price now.
my father liked those pickled things you buy in a jar,,lamb's tongue seem to be his favorite I bought some once for a xmas stocking stuffer,,,also gave one to my sister,,,,,,she almost got sick and threw it at me

all the offals and innards are much more pricey than years ago..

25 yrs ago I was a meat manager in a supermarket and had many Russian customers,,,they liked beef kidneys, beef tongue veal liver brains.... heart ...

I had one section for offals.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:09 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
my father liked those pickled things you buy in a jar,,lamb's tongue seem to be his favorite I bought some once for a xmas stocking stuffer,,,also gave one to my sister,,,,,,she almost got sick and threw it at me
Sounds like me at Christmas. For many past years, they have requested that I don't give canned sardines as stocking stuffers. I don't know, they are an element of life to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

Anyway getting back to last Passover.
I gave up after standing in line behind a couple who spent 200.00 on brisket alone. They bought the last ones in the store!!!!
I resorted to a chicken dish��
You ought to give us more details about this experience.

At $1.97/lb, it is practically the cheapest cut down here.......but there are catches.

To get it at that price, I buy 15-20 lbs of it untrimmed. I am walking out of the store with this hunk of beef that fills a 6th to a quarter of the cart. Further, if I buy more than two of them on a pass, the price then goes up to $2.50-2.97/lb.

Now, if I buy it trimmed, the price jumps at least $1.50/lb more or even more than that. If I buy it cooked, up goes the price again. I think the cooked ones are smaller as well. I can't tell you the exact prices per pound because I don't shop them that way, only to say that those prices compared to basic make sure that I never buy them that way.

In a way, it is like what happened to salmon in my area. Less than 10 years ago, I could get salmon at around $1.97-2.97/lb. Of course, I was buying the whole fish minus the head and guts. I would take it home, cut it into about an inch steaks, baggie it, and into the freezer. Every so often, I would take one out and make a stew of a steak, spine and all. Digging bones out or even crunching down on cooked spine is no problem to me.

I can't get it like that anymore. They no longer sell it in the freezer, I can't special order it. Now what they sell are salmon fillets with no skin and no bone and about $5 more per pound. Even if they do sell a steak, it is much more than what I once paid for it. If I want to approach those prices, I have to go canned.

It is not surprising to see the price go up on anything when convenience, ie someone else does the work, gets into the product. It is frustrating when the market only sells the convenience item. Saw it happen to salmon, certainly hope it does not happen to brisket.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
I had never heard of brisket growing up.
I worked 19 years in the cooler at a union packing plant and anything from a front quarter of beef was either.......roast, rib eye, ground beef ( hamburger meat) or soup bones.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
I grew up having brisket (made as pot roast) for just about every holiday.

When I moved to the Pacific Northwest about 10 years ago, it was tough to find in the neighborhood grocery. In more recent years, it's becoming more popular- I guess because of the increase in popularity of smoking meats.

This past Christmas, I wanted to make a pot roast, and did not find anything in the grocery stores that looked good. I ended up going to our local meat shop and getting a trimmed roast for about 6 dollars a pound. Though more pricey than I remember, well worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink