U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,863,452 times

Advertisements

OK, taking a leap here Toad-in-the-hole anyone?

Toad in the Hole with Roasted-onion Gravy from Delia Online

It is so easy, just sausages with Yorkshire pudding batter poured over, then baked until the batter rises and goes golden brown. YUMYUMYUM.

Add mashed potatoes, green beans or carrots, peas - any veggies really - but you must have GRAVY! I use the packet stuff as I am lazy, the McCormick 'au jus' one is good.

Selection of pics here! toad in the hole - Google Image Search

Last edited by southdown; 03-05-2008 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 PM

13,485 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Tuna Helper and Chicken Helper (with canned chicken). You can't get any easier than that.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:09 PM

13,485 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Also always keep 2 packages of Lipton Rice & Sauce, either Spanish or Mexican and a pound of ground beef. I cook the meat in the microwave, drain, and follow directions on the package. Add cooked meat to rice before cooking. Serve with shredded cheese on top.
When I was a kid my mom used to add a pound of ground beef to Rice-a-Roni and serve it with biscuits. She also used to add ground beef to a can of VanCamps spanish rice. Money was sometimes tight back then.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:15 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,598,830 times
Taco meat, it is quick and you can make taco salads or taco soup or tacos, great wrapped in a burrito and for nachos, refried beans w/cheese and onions and tomatoes are a favorite at my house as well as quseadillas

Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
Pizza crust is easy. I don't use recipes so I can't give you exact measurements of all ingredients but this is at least a start.

2 cups of warm water (hint: My kitchen is cool so I start with hot water. The water cools while it warms the bowl.)
1-2 TBL honey
1 pkg of yeast (I think it's 2 1/2 tsp, I use bulk yeast)

Mix together, let sit a couple of minutes, add:

A little oregano, garlic powder, salt, olive oil.

Start adding flour and mixing until it feels right. Knead until it stops feeling tough. Let the dough double in size, punch it down, roll it out and let it rise for a few minutes, and you're done.

If you're going to freeze dough you can do it before or after the first rise. I don't have a set rule for it, just do it when I get to it.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,132,919 times
When I have time I make a versitile bolognaise sauce and freeze portions that can be used in different ways.

Basic sauce:
1 lb mince meat
1 tin tomatoes (natural)
1 glass of wine (I prefer red)
1 glass of water
1 or 2 garlic clove
1/2 onion
bay leave and or basil
salt and pepper

Brown onion then add the meat and cook together for a while. Then add the wine and after a few minutes the rest pf ingredients. Cook very slowly for at least 1 and 1/2 hours.

Normally I double or triple the ingredients and when ready split it in meal portions and freeze. Then when I need a quick meal I can defrost and either use it as bolognaise sauce or I can add some cumin, chilli and kidney beans and have a delicious chilli con carne or I can use the sauce for lasagna.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM

19,879 posts, read 36,379,125 times
One of my favorites (and one that my husband requests when it's NOT an emergency meal) is Italian sauteed shrimp.

One pound(or so) peeled and deveined shrimp (I keep a couple of packages in the freezer and just thaw as much as I need).

One packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix.

4 or 5 T butter (depending on how "saucy" you want it to be).

Vermicelli.

Put the vermicelli on to cook (this is the hard part, except for thawing the shrimp if you're using frozen).

While the vermicelli is cooking, melt the butter in a skillet (cast iron, by preference). Once the butter is well-melted, stir the Italian Dressing mix into it and mix well. Throw the shrimp in and cook until shrimp is done, stirring often.

Drain the vermicelli and add it to the sauce, stirring to mix well.

Serve with a green salad and, if you have it on hand, some good bread. OR by itself.

I love this recipe because, except for the butter which I have around anything, everything is something that I can keep in pantry or freezer for emergency use.

My mother used to buy chicken breasts, wrap them individually in aluminum foil, then stick them in the freezer. (She lived alone at the time.)

She'd come home from work, heat the oven, pull one out and stick it, still wrapped, on a baking sheet in the oven. Go change clothes, get a glass of wine, put her feet up for 15 minutes. Come back, open foil, and baste the chicken with one of the various sauces she kept (bottled) in the refrigerator - sweet and sour, BBQ, and so on. Close the foil, put it back in the oven, put on some rice to cook and make a quick green salad. By the time the rice was finished, the chicken was, too.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,679,181 times
I used to live on Lipton pasta and another kind I can't remember that's usually right next to it in the store. It literally takes about five minutes to make and they come in different flavors. Cook it as directed and dump a can of tuna or clams into it and stir.

Bertoli also makes some that comes frozen and is very good - restaurant good. They have some with shrimp etc. You just dump it in a pan for 10 minutes on medium.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:11 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,286,236 times
Hmm...I've always been afraid to try the Bertoli's stuff...thanks for the recommendation

Old 03-06-2008, 11:18 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,679,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Hmm...I've always been afraid to try the Bertoli's stuff...thanks for the recommendation
I tried the shrimp scampi and linguine and the spinach and ricotta cheese ravioli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink