Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson
Besides some of the food already listed here is my addition:

Elbow macroni & stewed tomatoes filling and cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
OMG, I thought that was mostly a southern thing. I personally have never liked it, but I remember my grampa used to eat it all the time.
Naw I think it is more of a cheap meal thing. Even my kids asks for it sometimes 'just because'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Thumbs up Deceptively Easy & Super Quick Meal + Somewhat Healthy Too!!

Brown 1 lb of ground turkey in a larger sized skillet- add salt, pepper, and season salt. Drain if needed. Keep meat in skillet over medium heat and add:

1 can of condensed tomato soup + approx. 1/4 th can of water.
1 medium sized jar of medium heat salsa, I use Taco Bell brand.
About 10-15 round soft corn tortillas cut into 1 inch squares - just make a stack and cut 'em up. Mix well. Seems odd, but continue.
Top with about 2 cups of taco cheese - it will melt.

I recently discovered this deceptively easy dish and it was truly magically delicious!!
I was very skeptical because of the lack of ingredients. My hubby and picky eater teen son L.O.V.E.D. it!! I have already had multiple requests for this recipe. Freezes well too.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I usually plan my meals ahead of time. I do this so I can make sure I have the ingrediants for the meal, the time to prepare it, or I plan a meal around schedules that are quite hectic.

I know you guys have experienced once or twice, what I have--that panicky feeling you get when something unexpected happens and you suddenly find yourself at a loss on what to fix for dinner.

Suddenly I have found myself swamped with work; with my son's ballgames; the extra meetings we have been having; and just bad timing some days.

I like to have one or two meals that I can pull off in a hurry so we can have a good meal...quick. An old stand-by that always fits the bill.

My problem is, my family is tired of that ole stand-by and wishes I could get a couple of new ones. Thus my reason for this thread.

Could you ladies and gentlemen post a couple of your fast and easy stand-by meals here? The ones that we always seem to have the ingrediants in the fridge and pantry for? This way, all of us will have many tried and true emergency meals we can prepare without burning our families out on them.

I also think this will be a fun thread... how many of us that might be using the same stand-by meal???
I usually have kept eggs, bread, cheese, milk, and sausage at ALL times. With those as starters, you can make quick simple meals that are filling, and not particularly expensive. Instead of bread, substitute biscuits. Fried eggs with sausage gravy on biscuits. French toast, omelettes, grilled cheese sandwiches, sausage and cheese biscuits...breakfast for dinner, one of my favorites.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I haven't seen this listed. 1# ground beef, browned with onion, celery, 1 can tomatoes, diced, whole (cut up)or stewed, 1 can sauce (sauce can's are smaller), 1 can whole kernel corn, elbow macaroni. It's like a chili mac, but not at all spicy...and no kidney beans (never liked them).

Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
It is like a coney sauce but with meat and better in our opinions.
2 lbs. Ground beef
2/3 c. Water
1/4 c. Chopped onions
4 1/2 t. Chili powder
1 t. Salt
2 c. Ketchup (or Catsup however your parts say it )--24 oz.
2 t. White vinegar

Mix ground beef (DO NOT BROWN) with water. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. Remember do not brown ground beef first! Serve on hot dogs or on a bun like sloppy Joe's.
Thanks for this one!!!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
You are welcome enjoy!

Old 02-22-2009, 03:05 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
Keep potatoes on hand and a few apples in the fridge. Every pantry has rice and pasta, right? I like fish, so I almost always have fish fillets either in the fridge or in the freezer. Bake the fish in the oven, toss a couple whole potatoes into the microwave (after poking wholes all through it and wrapping it in a paper towel) and then slice an apple and fry it with a bit of butter for a fruity side dish.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
fried apples....

You're a bad influence Alice.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
I always buy nice long crispy baguettes and cut them in 4, wrap in foil and freeze. Always have eggs, peppers in the freezer, onions-so pepper n egg subs. Also when making meatballs I always make lots so I have those frozen in servings for 2-thereby meatball parm subs.

Eggs you can whip up fritattas, omelets.

Always have canned tomatoes, pastas, cheeses.

Cooking in bulk always means there's containers in the freezer of soups, stew, gravy.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Call the Chinese restaurant around the corner. Order 1 quart wonton soup, 1 quart hot and sour soup, 1 quart spicy chicken with vegetables, 1 quart beef chow fun, 2 eggrolls and 1 order of steamed dumplings. Hand my son 30 bucks and tell him to "go get dinner for us" Works everytime (except Tuesdays)
Okay ROFLMAO yes this I used to do too glad to see someone else did it too !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink