Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:06 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Besides some of the food already listed here is my addition:

Elbow macroni & stewed tomatoes filling and cheap

Eggs; salad, sandwiches, scrambled, over easy you get the idea

Baked potatoes in the microwave then we top them with various stuff whatever we have on hand. Cheese, bacon bits, green onions , bell peppers and I always have single servings frozen spanish sauce in my freezer. When I make a batch of spanish sauce I put just enough for the kids to grab after school they defrost in the microwave then put on their hot dogs for spanish hot dogs. They like the spanish sauce on top of their baked potatoes.

Cook spaghetti, then melt some butter in a skillet throw in some garlic and swirl the cooked spaghetti in the skillet butter. I usually make some garlic toast as well.

Bologna, cheese and crackers if it is just the kids and me some nights

Grilled ham & cheese using shaved deli ham

Plus I do a lot of home canning so I always have diced ham, chicken, beef and pork in my cabinet to grab and add to other things like rice or pasta on busy nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 03:28 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
movingtohouston's mention of French bread reminded me of French bread pizzas. Slice the bread, top it and put it under the broiler. Very quick and convenient.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:02 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
movingtohouston's mention of French bread reminded me of French bread pizzas. Slice the bread, top it and put it under the broiler. Very quick and convenient.
Ooh and similar is pizza toast! Normal slice of bread, toast it a bit, put some kind of tomato base sauce from a jar in a layer on top, then any veg you fancy (spring onions are fab), finally grate some cheese on top and back under the grill. Finally a bit of pepper on top.

My normal default meal is pasta with an Italian chilli sauce from a little packet (they keep forever), then cheese on top. I like my tomato sauces with cheese on top...

Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
How about english muffins, lightly toasted. Top w/slic of tomato and american cheese and put under broiler for a few minutes.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Wow, I've certainly seen plenty of my old favorites here.

The old standby I've used the most, grilled cheese and soup, has already been mentioned.

About making lasagne: if you use the no-cook noodles, it is much faster.

If I have leftover potroast type stuff, ground turkey or lamb, or ground beef, I will sometimes make a Shepherd's Pie.
There are several ways of doing this; it can be as complicated or as easy as you wish.
Here is one take on Shepherd's Pie:
Deconstructed Shepherd's Pie

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I have a lot of frozen soups in the freezer. Otherwise I love grilled cheese sandwiches or even making croque-monsieurs ( really simple and quite quick and utterly delicious).

When we go to France I also always buy a lot of "gasp" ready made meals like Cassoulet and Choucroute (Sauerkraut) which actually tastes wonderful and takes minutes to eat.

And we also buy "flavoured" pastas in France ( walnut, wild mushrooms and even blueberry pasta ) which tastes lovely with just a tiny amount of butter or olive oil and a bit of parmesan grated on top.

I eat a lot of rice which is very tasty with a bit of vegetable puree and some fresh herbs.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Baked potatoes in the microwave then we top them with various stuff whatever we have on hand. Cheese, bacon bits, green onions , bell peppers and I always have single servings frozen spanish sauce in my freezer. When I make a batch of spanish sauce I put just enough for the kids to grab after school they defrost in the microwave then put on their hot dogs for spanish hot dogs. They like the spanish sauce on top of their baked potatoes.
What is spanish sauce?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I also, when I make spaghetti sauce, make a LOT and freeze the extra in meal-sized servings. It's easy to pull out and nuke and make up some angel hair pasta and throw a salad together and pull a loaf of good bread out of the freezer and throw it in the oven, pull some grated parmesan out of the refrigerator, and voila!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
I generally keep on-hand jars of pasta sauce, some sort of pasta, and some wonderful chicken fingers that only take 20 minutes to bake. Makes for instant chicken parmiagiana.

We always seem to have frozen pizzas in the freezer in the garage.

A quick, on-hand meal for us is often breakfast, too. Eggs and waffles, or grits. Whatever is around. Makes for a nice treat sometimes.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
What is spanish sauce?
I'm wondering the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink