Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
chicken has been cheap as has pork..

in fact chicken a few months ago costs less than it did 34 years ago

one store had an anniversary sale and sold boneless chicken breasts for .99lb

Personally, I avoid shopping at Safeway.

However, when I arrived home today, my wife handed me the Safeway ad to show me that they had whole chickens and pork loin chops for ... $0.69/ lb. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe you didn't notice that food prices across the board are all up.

It's called inflation. Part of the problem is high fuel prices since food must be transported from where it's grown to your local market. Perhaps the new administration's fuel friendly (coal, pipelines, etc.) stance may bring down fuel prices which could have the effect of reducing food prices.

There can be no doubt IMO that high fuel and transportation prices have increased food prices everywhere.
The price of diesel is a lot cheaper than it was several years ago.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:24 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Does anyone else notice that prices for wild caught salmon seem to be really high? Japanese pickled plums are also super expensive now. What gives?
Wild salmon are going extinct. Humans have been massively over fishing many types of stock for going on 50 years now. Blue fin tuna are another type that are being pushed to the brink of extinction, yet people continue to pay to eat that sushi.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:39 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Quote:
Does anyone else notice that prices for wild caught salmon seem to be really high? Japanese pickled plums are also super expensive now. What gives?
Do you have an Asian Grocer in your area? I've found that in mine, umeboshi sell for about 75% less than other places I have seen them. I am not kidding. $20/pack vs. $5/pack.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:58 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
We have a locally owned grocery chain here in Texas. Prices in Houston are lower than in San Antonio, because Houston has more other competing grocery stores. In San Antonio that chain pretty much rules, and set higher prices. Prices also vary from one part of town to another.
I never liked H-E-B. Last week, I decided to give them a second look since the Randalls serving my neighborhood closed down a month earlier. The garlic cloves in my vegetable dish did not give off any garlic flavor and eating the garlic cloves had no (fatal) garlic taste. Also when I picked out the garlic at the grocery store, the sticker from the digital scale said that it was exactly $1.00. At checkout, the barcode told the cash register $1.01. That's a very sneaky way to make millions of dollars of extra profit every year from rounding (pricing) errors that few people would notice!!!

My previous experiences about 18 months ago involved re-frozen gelato and stale taco shells. I'll just stick with Kroger! I cringe every time I have to visit San Antonio to buy non-perishables such as bottled water. I'm glad that I have options here in Houston.

Strangely since that Randalls closed, Kroger and H-E-B haven't raised prices dramatically. Judging from the weekly ads, Kroger is consistently a few cents lower than H-E-B though.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
It depends. If you are getting farmed shrimp, it may not have the good fats and stuff you would get from ocean fish. It may also be cheaper to raise, feed and harvest. Shrimp of yesterday versus shrimp of today may not be apples to apples.
How would a farmed shrimp not have the good fats? A shrimp is a shrimp.

I can understand concerns about hormones/antibiotics/etc but being in farm raised doesn't change the biological structure of a shrimp.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I can understand concerns about hormones/antibiotics/etc but being in farm raised doesn't change the biological structure of a shrimp.
Because of diet and environment. Highly intense ag and aqua culture more often than not are extremely stressful on livestock and the diets they are fed are often cheap corn or soy based products rather than what those livestock would naturally eat in the wild. Compare a wild caught salmon to a farmed one. A wild salmon's flesh will be a deep Ruby red color as opposed to the pale pink color of their farmed counterpart which reflects the vastly different diet those fish have had. They have different nutritional content as a result.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

good post!!!

funny how local "farms" are the promise land of foods
but mention the word "farm" when it comes to seafood
its like a franken-fish

I remember some of the first "farms" in maine it was oysters and mussels
these were regarded as the premium seafood above wild caught or picked,,,, the farms helped protect against predation and such...

the "farms" were still cultivated in the oceans

same as most "farms" today the difference is feed....

but also realize the demand on so called fresh and wild seafood is tremendous around the world....you see what japan is paying for a tuna fish ?? japan paid 1.76 million for a 500lb tuna
for one fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

without these " ocean farms" the wild caught seafood would be double in price,,,because of scarcity

more and more eastern countries are importing maine lobsters driving their costs up and up...because of locally depleted wild caught fishes

yeah id like to be a seafood snob and say I will never buy a farm raised fish or shrimp from an eastern country .....
but I cant.....in fact for decades I have served my family farm raised seafood and shrimp from overseas
and ive never once had a problem.....
in gatherings I will have guests ask where this delicious shrimp comes from......I always answer 'bubba gump" and they seem to be fine with that ...

go to your local farmstand or food co-op and demand to buy your veggies that wasn't grown in fertilizer which is e-coli ridden crap ...
do people ask that question??? no they don't want to hear it..or think about it .

Old 04-02-2017, 01:04 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Thank you! You are awesome.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Yes I have asian grocers in my area, but it is so HARD to go to multiple stores . I'll check them out. I'm also considering getting a prunus mume, if they ever make a disease resistant one..;D Maybe I can pickle them myself. They are like GOLD! But so delish.

For the guy writing about the fish, based on what I've read, Fibonacci is right. Fish in the ocean get the good stuff in their fat from the seaweed and other stuff they eat. I'm not sure what they feed farmed fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink