Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 08:31 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times

Advertisements

It is so rare for me to ever come across a question that can't immediately be answered somewhere on the internet in a few seconds, but this is one of those things. I can't find the answer anywhere.

What is the difference between the tortillas that are labeled "uncooked" and are in the refrigerated section at the store vs. all of the other ones in the Mexican section by the refried beans and salsa just at room temperature on the shelf?

I have been trying to eat less bread and wheat so yesterday found a package of corn tortillas on the shelf and got them but WOW are they terrible. Barely edible actually. Anyway, while I was searching - I realized had eaten both kinds (the refrigerated and on-the-shelf kind) without heating or cooking them in any way. I just open the package and eat them. Then I was disturbed to see "uncooked" as if I had eaten something "raw" and/or dangerous if not cooked first.

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
It is so rare for me to ever come across a question that can't immediately be answered somewhere on the internet in a few seconds, but this is one of those things. I can't find the answer anywhere.

What is the difference between the tortillas that are labeled "uncooked" and are in the refrigerated section at the store vs. all of the other ones in the Mexican section by the refried beans and salsa just at room temperature on the shelf?

I have been trying to eat less bread and wheat so yesterday found a package of corn tortillas on the shelf and got them but WOW are they terrible. Barely edible actually. Anyway, while I was searching - I realized had eaten both kinds (the refrigerated and on-the-shelf kind) without heating or cooking them in any way. I just open the package and eat them. Then I was disturbed to see "uncooked" as if I had eaten something "raw" and/or dangerous if not cooked first.

Anyone know?
The cooked ones that are ready to eat from the bag are just that. Take one from the bag, and do what you want with it.

The uncooked ones require you to cook them before eating. So, you will want to cook it prior to use. I am not in a position to say if this is dangerous; that is the FDA's role. However, from a taste perspective, the uncooked will benefit from a visit to your heated pan on both sides prior to use/consumption.

Usually the uncooked ones will also gain that appearance one is used to in a cooked tortilla with little brown spots also, once cooked.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:42 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
I don't think there's anything harmful, intrinsically, with the uncooked ones. They are generally just corn meal, water, lard or shortening, salt and possibly a little lime/lye. They don't contain raw eggs.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:46 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I don't think there's anything harmful, intrinsically, with the uncooked ones. They are generally just corn meal, water, lard or shortening, salt and possibly a little lime/lye. They don't contain raw eggs.
No? Maybe you should read this:

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm508450.htm

In most cases, eating food that is uncooked or undercooked (with the exception of sashimi and a few other things) is definitely not a good idea. Unless your idea of fun includes a residency on the toilet and/or a trip to the doctor’s office.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,774,439 times
Cooked uncooked. The taste is always improved by cooking.
Corn tortillas cooked or uncooked are either fried in oil and made into hard tostadas.
Corn tortillas also can be steamed.
Corn tortillas can be quartered and fried and made into corn tortilla chips.

Flour tortillia chips always benefit from a light browning on both sides .

You can microwave flour totrtillias if your to lazy to brown them.

Información de México, Viajes y Travel - Explorando Mexico

Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
So far, none of the replies have actually answered the question. What is the difference between the two since they appear totally identical and taste identical. I have eaten both kinds right out of the package and have not become sick. The packages do not explain the difference, nor do the manufacturer's websites. It is puzzling. I guess what I am saying is you can't use the circular dictionary definition of saying an uncooked tortilla is a tortilla that hasn't been cooked. What do they mean my "cooked" if the result shows no difference?" These white corn flour / masa things I got yesterday from the room-temperature, regular shelf section sure seem like they need to be cooked to be edible at all since I am tempted to throw them away. I need something that can be eaten right out of the bag at room temp without being cooked or heated in any way and I thought they'd be fine. Yuck. Thanks for the replies, regardless.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:54 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
What brand did you get.

If they are just already pressed "fresh" tortillas, then you would want to cook on a flat top/plancha/griddle, until lightly blistered.

If they are corn, a par fry would help, or can also work on a flat top/plancha/griddle. Raw corn tortillas are like eating sawdust, imo.

Ready to eat tortillas are the shelf stable ones you referred to in the OP. They will appear blistered/cooked already.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:59 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Even store bought "cooked" tortillas are intended to be heated before eating.

A cooked corn tortilla needs to be steamed or flash fried with a very small amount of oil. This will soften the tortilla to the right texture and toast the corn for full flavor.

A cooked flour tortilla should be sprinkled with a small amount of water, then heated on a very hot frying pan or grill until the brown spots darken to near black.

Both corn and flour tortillas are intentionally packaged at minimum 'doneness' and with a minimum moisture content to accommodate being finished at home. They are fully edible, yes, but not ready for eating anymore than a 'cooked' sausage should be eaten directly from the refrigerator.

The only real advantage of the uncooked tortillas is that they may be fresher and without preservatives since they are kept under refrigeration in the store. Otherwise, all tortillas should be heated before eating whether pre-cooked or not. If you want to eat them with the texture and flavor intended and enjoyed by most tortilla eaters. :-)

Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
So far, none of the replies have actually answered the question. What is the difference between the two since they appear totally identical and taste identical. I have eaten both kinds right out of the package and have not become sick. The packages do not explain the difference, nor do the manufacturer's websites. It is puzzling. I guess what I am saying is you can't use the circular dictionary definition of saying an uncooked tortilla is a tortilla that hasn't been cooked. What do they mean my "cooked" if the result shows no difference?" These white corn flour / masa things I got yesterday from the room-temperature, regular shelf section sure seem like they need to be cooked to be edible at all since I am tempted to throw them away. I need something that can be eaten right out of the bag at room temp without being cooked or heated in any way and I thought they'd be fine. Yuck. Thanks for the replies, regardless.
It depends on the brand but it most likely means that the uncooked ones are partially cooked. It is somewhat impossible to answer this question without knowing a little bit more information.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-02-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 11:11 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The only real advantage of the uncooked tortillas is that they may be fresher and without preservatives since they are kept under refrigeration in the store. Otherwise, all tortillas should be heated before eating whether pre-cooked or not. If you want to eat them with the texture and flavor intended and enjoyed by most tortilla eaters. :-)
Not in my store. I recently bought uncooked flour tortillas by mistake because they were stacked with cooked tortillas on a regular unrefrigerated shelf. It was my first time buying them but I found that I actually enjoyed frying them up before using them.

Last edited by Gorges; 04-02-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink