U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:12 AM
Status: ""Plays well with other children"" (set 3 days ago)

17,205 posts, read 21,266,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are certain traditional dishes like chile rellenos that have specific ingredients. Most versions involve a pablano pepper stuffed with either Mexican cheese or a meat mixture that is dipped in an egg batter and fried. Occasionally, some people may use a different filling or a different pepper.

A lot of people do not make traditional chile rellenos at home due to the perceived difficulty of making the egg batter coating.

Then you have recipes that CLAIM to be chili rellenos but contain little resemblance to the traditional recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMVUMTXVNo&t=3s
That DOES look very, very good though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

5,302 posts, read 3,156,122 times
My mom used to make a "chile relleno casserole." It is sort of a crustless, Tex-Mex quiche, and not bad, for what it is.

A real chile relleno, though...with the crispy batter and melted cheese...yum. They are easy to find around here. Life in Southern California has its low spots, but reading this thread makes me forgive most of them.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,108,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When I was in high school, a lady tutored me for my AP spanish test.
To celebrate, we made chile rellenos.
She dipped the chiles in whipped egg whites - basically meringue.
We covered them in red sauce of some kind and nom nom nom.
They were the most crispy, delicious thing!

Since then (1993), every restaurant I have eaten at has these soggy ass crappy rellenos.
So I was super excited to go to Mexico and have a quality chile relleno again.

None to be found.

Sounds like I need to find a recipe to do it myself or hunt down that lady from 24 years ago...
Here's a few recipes that use whipped egg whites:

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/chiles-rellenos-29565

Chiles Rellenos - Hilah Cooking

https://patijinich.com/recipe/chiles-rellenos/

Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,439,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I am just curious. I love chile rellenos, and almost always order one when at a Mexican restaurant. They have always been either wrapped in egg roll wrappers, or dipped in an egg batter.

We recently moved to Southeast Kansas, and there are quite a few Mexican restaurants scattered about the area. There is a very popular one in our town that has pretty good food for the most part, but I refuse to eat there because of their chile rellenos. Their version of this dish is a glop of ground beef, covered in a slice of green chile, with cheese and sauce over it. To me, this is NOT a chile relleno. Has anyone else ever come across this type of chile relleno anywhere? Even my friends from Mexico think it's odd.

Huh? What is that? Some chile rellenos Asian fusion?

Edit - I see someone else has already mentioned the fusion notion.
Weird - I've had it in Mexico - never had an Asian fusion one there yet. Maybe next time? I gotta admit the idea of an egg batter sounds good (not an egg roll wrapper tho).

Last edited by bg7; 04-11-2017 at 02:42 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,439,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post

Those recipes also use Monterey jack or muenster. Aren't they Tex-Mex. The comments seem to suggest they are.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,264,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Huh? What is that? Some chile rellenos Asian fusion?

Edit - I see someone else has already mentioned the fusion notion.
Weird - I've had it in Mexico - never had an Asian fusion one there yet. Maybe next time? I gotta admit the idea of an egg batter sounds good (not an egg roll wrapper tho).
The chile rellenos that you had in Mexico weren't done in an egg batter?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Status: "Tw_tter Disabled My Account...and I'm a real user" (set 9 days ago)

6,454 posts, read 13,212,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I am just curious. I love chile rellenos, and almost always order one when at a Mexican restaurant. They have always been either wrapped in egg roll wrappers, or dipped in an egg batter.

We recently moved to Southeast Kansas, and there are quite a few Mexican restaurants scattered about the area. There is a very popular one in our town that has pretty good food for the most part, but I refuse to eat there because of their chile rellenos. Their version of this dish is a glop of ground beef, covered in a slice of green chile, with cheese and sauce over it. To me, this is NOT a chile relleno. Has anyone else ever come across this type of chile relleno anywhere? Even my friends from Mexico think it's odd.
OMG no way! I've only ever made home made chiles rellenos. OMG I have to eat some this weekend. My recipe uses beaten egg white for the coating.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:05 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,523 times
I haven't had a great chile relleno for 23 years, and I lived in New Mexico and southern California. The best ones I ever ate were in a small restaurant in Columbus Ohio, prepared fresh, poblano peppers dipped in batter and fried crispy, stuffed with the most delicious cheese blend, covered with a good ranchero sauce. We never had to order, the staff knew what we all wanted, we went there so often. Unfortunately, they closed several years ago.

The ones in NM & CA couldn't match these. I can get a good one here in SC, but their cheese isn't quite as good.

Egg roll wrappers, green peppers, olives, mushy, beef-filled, ugh, ugh, ugh.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 AM

68,134 posts, read 78,023,930 times
well just got my already roasted Hatch Chilis yesterday. Of course I paid a premium. It is called supply and demand. Being only one store here roast them for you, you want, you pay. That is still ok. The only thing that disappointed me was the variance of sizes. Some were big enough for stuffing, most too small. I will have to use them chopped for making dips, putting on eggs or using in a casserole. Regardless they are all divided up now and have made their home in our freezer.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:19 PM

13,611 posts, read 22,457,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well just got my already roasted Hatch Chilis yesterday. Of course I paid a premium. It is called supply and demand. Being only one store here roast them for you, you want, you pay. That is still ok. The only thing that disappointed me was the variance of sizes. Some were big enough for stuffing, most too small. I will have to use them chopped for making dips, putting on eggs or using in a casserole. Regardless they are all divided up now and have made their home in our freezer.

Two weeks until the Chile Festival in Hatch, NM. Do you want me to send you a case or two???

I still have a lot in my freezer so I won't be buying any more for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink