U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:04 PM

255 posts, read 106,490 times

Advertisements

I am just curious. I love chile rellenos, and almost always order one when at a Mexican restaurant. They have always been either wrapped in egg roll wrappers, or dipped in an egg batter.

We recently moved to Southeast Kansas, and there are quite a few Mexican restaurants scattered about the area. There is a very popular one in our town that has pretty good food for the most part, but I refuse to eat there because of their chile rellenos. Their version of this dish is a glop of ground beef, covered in a slice of green chile, with cheese and sauce over it. To me, this is NOT a chile relleno. Has anyone else ever come across this type of chile relleno anywhere? Even my friends from Mexico think it's odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM

6,981 posts, read 9,367,936 times
No. I haven't seen egg roll wrappers on chile rellenos either.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,259,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
+1. I like Chile Rellenos, I wouldn't order them with egg roll wrappers or as the OP describes glopped on a plate. Should be a (cheese and/or picadillo) stuffed poblano chile (or similar), dipped in masa or light batter, fried with tomato or ranchero sauce. Mmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by Midpack; 04-06-2017 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 02:32 PM

13,112 posts, read 14,431,910 times
I think arguments against non-standard chile rellenos go out the window as soon as you mention egg roll wrappers.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM

3,801 posts, read 1,409,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
The first chile rellenos I had were in egg roll wrappers, in Colorado. I didn't know any better and decided to make some for friends, in New Mexico. They laughed at me.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:34 PM

112,703 posts, read 48,984,599 times
I tried making them a while back for the first time, though I've never really had them in a restaurant. You take poblano peppers and fill with white Mexican cheese (there's a few varieties) and ground beef mix. I would add some cream cheese as well. Some say to skin or par boil the peppers others say no. Some say cut in half lengthwise others say just remove stem end to stuff. Then dip in flour and then egg mixture and again in flour. Some say do this before filling others say after filling. Then fry.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:19 PM

13,112 posts, read 14,431,910 times
Chile rellenos can differ dramatically from one Mexican province to another much less in the Mexican cuisine diaspora. Different chiles, different fillings, different cooking techniques, etc.

But I do think it should always at least consist of a stuffed chile pepper of some kind, as that is what chile relleno means.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:29 PM

711 posts, read 294,644 times
OP your description of what the restaurant is calling Chile Relleno doesn't come close to anything I've ever eaten - and that includes poor substitution casseroles.

I've never had a Relleno done with an egg roll wrapper. It sounds interesting but not like the traditional Rellenos I've had. The upside I can see is that they'd probably stay crisp longer after being prepared. One of the major downsides for me is that many restaurants prepare the Rellenos earlier in the day then reheat and add sauce before serving. Finding a restaurant that makes them fresh with each order isn't an easy proposition!

Old 04-06-2017, 07:28 PM

4,198 posts, read 2,273,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I am just curious. I love chile rellenos, and almost always order one when at a Mexican restaurant. They have always been either wrapped in egg roll wrappers, or dipped in an egg batter.

We recently moved to Southeast Kansas, and there are quite a few Mexican restaurants scattered about the area. There is a very popular one in our town that has pretty good food for the most part, but I refuse to eat there because of their chile rellenos. Their version of this dish is a glop of ground beef, covered in a slice of green chile, with cheese and sauce over it. To me, this is NOT a chile relleno. Has anyone else ever come across this type of chile relleno anywhere? Even my friends from Mexico think it's odd.
Thankfully, I haven't. Sounds gross.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:44 PM

12,937 posts, read 21,025,534 times
I have never seen a chile relleno in an egg roll wrapper nor have I seen one stuffed with cream cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink