Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 PM

905 posts, read 1,101,873 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Thought this might be a fun topic to stir things up with in the F&D section.

I don't think you could call me a hardcore chilehead (yet, at least), but I do enjoy rather spicy foods, and thanks to a shop w/a great selection of hot sauces I found near me, I'm getting back into the "hobby" of trying very hot sauces again.

Gave some CaJohn's Sling Blade Reaper a try today. For something made w/Carolina Reapers and Ghost peppers, it wasn't quite as brutal as I was expecting (Not trying to sound "tough", just my experience!) heat-wise (Still damn hot to me), but it had a fantastic, smoky flavor to it that I'm excited to apply to various foods (Seems like it'll be great on burgers and sandwiches, or w/BBQ foods). The hottest stuff I've had so far is probably Dave's Insanity sauce (A 5 oz bottle has lasted me quite a while, as a little goes a long way for me).

How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
I don't like "extreme" condiments that are all heat and no flavor. I do like heat, but not just for its own sake. It needs to complement whatever is on, not overpower it, and have other flavor complexities, not just be hot.

To this end, I like Marie Sharp's, a habanero hot sauce from Belize, I believe.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM

23,507 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I'm a big hot sauce fan, but "extreme" heat kills the flavor of the food, IMO. I like the common sauces: Tabasco, Tabasco Habanero, Sriracha, Crystal Extra Hot, and Frank's Red Hot.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM

26 posts, read 52,565 times
I'm not into really hot, hot sauce, but I have tried peri peri sauce and it has a really good kick to it and taste amazing!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becomingbachelorette View Post
I'm not into really hot, hot sauce, but I have tried peri peri sauce and it has a really good kick to it and taste amazing!
I was about to write about piri piri sauce! Great minds... and taste buds.

There are many that I don't particularly care for, though. This one -- THIS ONE! -- is amazing. Macarico -- it's the only piri piri sauce that I'll buy now.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:50 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,467,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I was about to write about piri piri sauce! Great minds... and taste buds.

There are many that I don't particularly care for, though. This one -- THIS ONE! -- is amazing. Macarico -- it's the only piri piri sauce that I'll buy now.
I, too, like piri piri sauce. Recently my son's hot sauce club sent him this
It made me smile and it doesn't taste half bad either!

Last edited by magicshark; 04-10-2017 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 01:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I, too, like piri poor sauce. Recently my son's hot sauce club sent him this
It made me smile and it doesn't taste half bad either!
LMAO!!! I'd love it for the bottle alone. But it's whatever makes "mine" red that I think is what's making me love the Macarico.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
I'm not big on sauces, but I cook with peppers quite a bit. I shop in the Mexican food section. El Guapo has a nice selection of chili powders, from very mild to pretty spicy, and they all go well in chili without ruining the flavor. Capsaicin will make flavors pop even if you use such a light touch that nobody knows it is there. I made spaghetti last weekend that was dusted lightly with cayenne. It did a wonderful job of balancing the palate, but nobody would guess it was there.

I do have a bottle of green habanero sauce, but rarely use it. If I want hot, I just eat the pepper. You can't beat the fresh flavor.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:13 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times
Melinda's Ghost Pepper sauce is my favorite spicy but still tastes good and I can finish the entire bottle without dying sauce.

Blair's Mega Death is the hottest pure heat sauce I've tried where I can only have a couple of drops at a time. I bought a bottle of that about 15 years ago and never bought or tried any extreme extract based sauces again. Most of these extreme sauces seem to be all about the heat and not the flavor and that doesn't interest me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink