Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times

Advertisements

The nearest Publis is about 2,300 miles. Whole Foods is 6 miles, but we have a better, slightly less expensive store called Metropolitan Market just a mile away. Recently they had ground Wagyu beef on sale for $6.99/lb. so we got a bunch. Trader Joe's is even closer, and we like their frozen Pot Stickers, Orange Chicken, and various other frozen foods. Most of our food comes from Costco, about $250/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 AM

6,610 posts, read 3,632,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Trader Joe's: unsalted tortilla chips, their selection of nuts, pico de gallo, unsalted peanut butter, dessert selection (tiramisu, etc), Indian entrees, Asian dumplings.
OH, I am with you. The unsalted peanut butter is yummy, lightly-salted Cashews or Macadamias, unsalted chips, their $6.99 Cheesecake.

Also:

Mini Chicken Tacos
Unsalted peanut butter filled pretzels - also the chocolate-covered ones.
Organic jam varieties (low sugar and delicious)
Barbara's "multi-grain spoonfuls" cereal
Roasted potatoes
Ground Turkey
Guacamole
21 Seasoning Salute (seasoning blend), and Peppercorns in grinder jar.

And, items can cost a bit less than elsewhere.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 AM

19,360 posts, read 27,567,150 times
Trader Joes - ALL of these are staples in our home and weve6got no problem driving the ten miles to TJ's to get them.

Two buck chuck cabernet
Pontificis red blend
Frozen pot stickers
White baslamic vinegar
Red baslamic vinegar (the one in the smaller, square bottle)
Spanish olive oil
Liver dog treats
Chicken dog treats
Frozen sweet corn, frozen French green beans
Cheese
Frozen flatbreads
Astromedia flowers or daffodils in season
Chicken liver mousse pate

Whole Foods - never. Refuse to pay the prices

Publix - Rarely. I find them overpriced by comparison to other competitors. We used to get their excellent sub sandwiches in florida.

Frankly, I don't really see much similarity in these stores? And if I'm splurging on fried chicken, it's coming from Church's or Bojangles (preferably the former.)

Old 04-16-2017, 09:38 AM

3,950 posts, read 4,187,627 times
TJs: Their ketchup is so good I could never go back to buying any other brand. Also, try their frozen gluten-free waffles. I am not on a gluten-free diet, but those are so dang good, I regularly buy them, along with their frozen French toast. I like a lot of their frozen vegetables and fruit. Good prices on fresh produce, I must say.

No Publix around here, and Whole Foods is about as close as TJ's (both are about 45 minutes from me), but I don't like WF prices and their workers aren't as friendly as TJ's.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,888,472 times
No TJ, but we do have ALDI (2) and I like the bottled Asian Sauces and their Chocolate Chip Dunkers.

No WF but I'm not sure, according to what others say, that I'm willing to overpay.

No Publix.

Within a reasonable driving distance from me (less than 15 minutes) I have Price Chopper (3), Gerrity's, a local chain (3), Walmart (2), Wegman's, Weis/Mr. Z, and the two ALDI. There are also several other markets both chain and independent not much farther but since I have so many choices, I rarely venture there.

Price Chopper for seafood. Walmart for coffee but that's about to change since I found my brand MUCH cheaper at Wegman's, ALDI as noted above. Gerrity's when chicken's on sale. Wegman's for fresh local produce and their specialty bakery. Weis/Mr. Z, not so much, but it used to be the only place where I could get my favorite mustard.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:51 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,512,480 times
Publix ice cream and sorbets.
And as others mentioned, their fried chicken and chicken wings. They are the biggest wings I've ever seen.
Also, their deli sandwiches are even mentioned in a 'things to do when visiting Florida' list

Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 AM

586 posts, read 548,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
TJs: Their ketchup is so good I could never go back to buying any other brand. Also, try their frozen gluten-free waffles. I am not on a gluten-free diet, but those are so dang good, I regularly buy them, along with their frozen French toast. I like a lot of their frozen vegetables and fruit. Good prices on fresh produce, I must say.

No Publix around here, and Whole Foods is about as close as TJ's (both are about 45 minutes from me), but I don't like WF prices and their workers aren't as friendly as TJ's.
Right (on ketchup)? I love theirs. Another really good brand is Sir Kensington but it is hard to find and expensive.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:51 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,646,934 times
Not a fan of TJ and only get to Publix when I'm visiting my relatives in FLA. Love their fried chicken and Cuban sandwiches.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:14 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,884,666 times
If you like carrot cake, try TJ's Inside Out Carrot Cake Cookies. They're to die for.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:33 PM

26,814 posts, read 43,277,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Whole Foods: spices. Their 365 brand is inexpensive and high quality.
Good addition, I agree. The 365 store brand in general is quite good and superior to or equal comparable national brands at a better price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink