U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,612,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Dessert? Here are some ideas:

Bunny Cakes: Cake Wrecks: An Easterly Wind is Blowing
Chick Cakes: Cake Wrecks: Chick Chicky Boom
Lamb Cakes: Cake Wrecks: Lamb-entations

Don't those make you hungry!? lol
What a hoot !! Too funny, Do people really BUY those scarey things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,765,737 times
No plans. Not a big day for us.

Southdown, it's so good to have you back. Your humor was missed, my dear.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:44 PM

3,367 posts, read 9,863,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
No plans. Not a big day for us.

Southdown, it's so good to have you back. Your humor was missed, my dear.
Well thanks NMS, it's good to be back! Not sure if my humour stayed with me at every point of the journey but I think it's returned home now - at last!

Easter dinner is an odd one for us, we spend so much time over the holiday weekend doing spring cleaning, gardening and DIY that any cooking gets shoved into minimum time. But I WILL make a big roast dinner... somehow!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 8,723,699 times
Gonna buy 3 or 4 lambs at Costco tomorrow-make em each a little bit different.

Asparagus, fresh green beans, sis is bringing stuffed baked potatoes, and a broccolli-cauliflower casserole, rolls, gravy..oh stuffed shells.

Gonna do a bunny cake. and a pie, & guests are also bringing dessert.

& I will decide on some appys tomorrow.

Happy Easter all!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM

2,373 posts, read 5,237,353 times
I would like to make a rabbit stew, but rabbit is sooo darn expensive around here. *sigh* oh well, guess my husband and I will have whatever I pull out of the freezer.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
My grocery store had 2-for-1 pork roasts, so I got a nice, boneless roast for about $11 (4 lbs), with a slightly smaller one for the freezer. I just wasn't inspired by the turkey, plus the prices weren't so great. My store also had coupons for $7 off hams, so I got a small bone-in ham for about $6. I have a great recipe for ham-and-potato soup, which I'll make next week.

Easter dinner will be pork roast, scalloped potatoes, asparagus (drizzled with olive oil and herbs, then broiled), salad and fresh rolls from the bakery. Oh, and deviled eggs and pie! I saw someone's recipe for chess pie in another thread and want to try it. I'll also make a coconut cream pie, since I have the makings.

Mandarin Pork Roast - All Recipes

I thought this looked good for Sunday. I already had all the ingredients except the pork ... can't beat that.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM

424 posts, read 1,483,095 times
Default Not sure this year

Usually it is a matter of which Easter celebration we honor since some of the family is Western Church and the rest is Eastern...even then it gets confusing since some of the Eastern ones are Greek Orthodox, some Armenian Orthodox, and still others Eastern Rite Catholic. If we're lucky we get to have both Easter celebrations, unless of course it is a year when Easter falls on the same Sunday for the entire family. This year it looks like it might just be my mother and me since she is not up to travel at all for one of the bigger family get-togethers (too far to go) and my sister and her brood will be away from home this year. That said, Mama does not want to do any cooking and has essentially forbidden me to do anything at her house or bring anything over. We do have an invitation to join one of her good friends that she does not get to see often of late and she really wants to see her, so I think that is what we are going to do (Mama can travel short distances so it looks viable).

In a normal year, depending on the hosting family, we have roast lamb, a fresh hen, ham, poached fish, or a pork shoulder. Sides are either typical Greek or Armenian things, cracker salad, ramps, artichokes, maybe some dandelion salad, fresh greens (raw or cooked), chilled dolma, cucumber salad, etc. Breads will be homemade rolls or loaves. Desserts vary but usually include some sort of cake (like an Armenian spice cake), Greek pastries, buttermilk pie, baked egg custard, or things like that.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:17 PM

3,885 posts, read 7,206,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
Dessert? Here are some ideas:

Bunny Cakes: Cake Wrecks: An Easterly Wind is Blowing
Chick Cakes: Cake Wrecks: Chick Chicky Boom
Lamb Cakes: Cake Wrecks: Lamb-entations

Don't those make you hungry!? lol
LOL This is one of my favorite websites!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,599,491 times
leftover ham from xmas (been in the freezer)
sweet potatoes
green bean casserole
Pillsbury croissants
devil's food cake w/ chocolate frosting

Old 04-09-2009, 09:00 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
We'll be doing Easter dinner on Saturday rather than Sunday as we have to drive DD back to college on Sunday which will take most of the day by the time we drive up and get back home. Plus since we're the only ones out here - our family is all over the place so it will be "just us"...We'll do a turkey breast, green bean cassarole, mashed potatoes, rolls and strawberry jello/pretzel dessert. Not too exciting but a meal everyone enjoys. We'll have omelettes and bacon in the morning before we head out.....Happy Easter everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink