U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,832,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
OK people I give up eat your rabbits!! I did eat rabbit once and found it to be quite boney now that I have a pet rabbit I cannot imagine eating her.
I have been skinning and eating rabbits since seeing Michael Moore's movie Roger and Me. It is amazing how easy the fur comes off and how much people are willing to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 8,725,917 times
We're having lamb, stuffed baked potatos, asparagus, & stuffed shells for the kids.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,854,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Of course you don't want to eat your pet.

If I had a pet pig/lamb I don't think I would want to eat him either ! But where non pets are concerned rabbitt really can be utterly delicious and is also a very healthy meat. It is eaten in most countries. You do get a lot of small bones ( which is why it's not a good idea to feed it to cats or dogs) but the flesh is tender and subtly flavoured too.

I promise I will never eat anyone's pet if I can avoid it. Otherwise for me most meat is fair game as long as it is humanely reared if from a farm animal .
Thanks Mooseketeer I agree as long as the meat is humanely reared I will eat just about anything. If I am not friends with it I will eat it but if I pet it just once I am a goner. I would make a pitiful farmer!! If I had to raise and slaughter my own meat I would probably starve.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,632,492 times
I would also make a bad farmer. I want all of my meat in nice clean packages from Publix.

Long ago I did eat rabbit once. I taught school and one of my student's parents trapped and hunted. The student kept talking about the rabbits, so some of us decided to have a "rabbit" dinner. I wasn't very thrilled about the idea, but went along with it. The student brought the skinned and cleaned meat that was frozen in a paper quart milk container to school. (My parents used to freeze fish the same way).

At this school we didn't have a refrigerator for the teachers. The media center director had a small one with a tiny freezing compartment that she kept in the teacher workroom area of the media center. The director told us that, space permitting, we could keep things in her refrigerator if we signed a sheet a day ahead of time. One of the teachers managed to wangle a space even though we had missed the sign up deadline. The director would have died if she knew what was in her freezer!

Our secretary, who was in on the secret, had an office directly across from the work room. She hummed and sang "Here Comes Peter Cottontail" off and on all day long. The director kept saying she did not understand why the secretary was singing spring songs when it was fall.

The rabbit was fried like chicken and served with cream gravy. I managed to eat a little bit. While we were cleaning up I had another small bite. Room temperature rabbit was not appealing.

I'll stick with ham, thank you, and pretty sweets with rabbit decorations.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 03-09-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM

3,276 posts, read 10,371,442 times
Ham, kovbasa, kobanosa, cheese (some sort of baked ricotta thing my grandmother makes), baked pineapple (canned pineapple, breadcrumbs, eggs, sort of pudding-ish), cheese babka, challah, deviled eggs, regular hard boiled eggs, potato salad. I mainly eat the meats and pineapple

Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM

34,571 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Everything sounds good. My menu is shaping up pretty good..I'm trying to stay traditional, but in quirky ways. Besides the foods I already mentioned (ham, hashbrown cheese casserole, pineapple casserole, gingerale salad)
I'm making the asparagus gruyere tart (Martha Stewart)
Matzo ball soup
Creamed spinach
biscuits
deviled eggs
lemon meringue pie
raspberry torte

Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM

831 posts, read 1,306,859 times
Here is the recipe for Pineapple cheese ball

1 8oz cream cheese block
1 small box instant french vanilla pudding
1 small can pineapple tidbits drained

I mix/squish it all up with my hands and shape in a ball the roll it in a plate of chopped pecans.

Sorry it took my so long to post this but I was just checking this thread to get some final menu plans today.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
bjh

26,105 posts, read 22,785,932 times
wabbit is wodent

Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
I'm going to really cut loose for Easter. I've been dieting since before Christmas. Here's what I'm thinking:

Ham
Potato salad
Dressing (didn't even have dressing for Christmas. I'm good and ready for some)
Turnips and mustards
Candied yams
Corn bread
Mac n cheese

Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,680,035 times
Peeps
Jelly beans
Chocolate bunny
That's breakfast. Then, dinner at a restaurant. Sorry, but I can't get the family to all agree on some traditional fare, so eating out works best for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink