U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,724,149 times

Advertisements

I'll be at my parents' home in St Louis. They'll have just the traditional things. Ham, scalloped potatoes, green salad, deviled eggs, and asparagus. Mom always makes it extra special. And for dessert, she's making me splurge with the double-layer chocolate cake.

When I get back, I'll have to go some to work it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
We'll be starting off with my sister's cheese ball (cream cheese with chopped green onions and dried currants mixed in, spread with mango chutney and rolled in toasted coconut) served with crackers

Ribeye steaks
grilled chicken breasts
baked potatoes and yams (with spiced orange brown sugar butter)
mixed baby greens
deviled eggs

Dessert is most likely going to be carrot cake and chocolate frosted Boston cream cake.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Since I'm the only one in the family who likes the traditional ham...

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Deviled Eggs

We're having Thanksgiving for Easter.

(Which kind of fits.)

Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,548,734 times
This will be the first Easter alone for my husband and I (kids are in Va-rest of our family is in NY-airfares were crazy)
We are going totally non-traditional-lobster tails & shrimp and scallops in a light tomato sauce over angel hair
Salad (a given)

Old 04-01-2010, 05:11 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, some veggies. A dessert of some sort. It's just us here, so I'm making our normal, somewhat-nicer Sunday dinner.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
We are straying from traditional a bit since the weather will be gorgeous and will spend time 'womaning' the grill with some pork ribs babied to perfection, some-type of cheesy potatoes with some fresh herbs, begging for gentlearts asparagus tart recipe , some-type of mango salsa/chutney as have mangos to use up, some-type of bread (wanting bruschetta), and thinking homemade cheesecake, but carrot cake sounds good and hubbys favorite and he is actually home for a holiday on the day

Old 04-01-2010, 06:07 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,600,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Roast leg of lamb, oven browned new potatoes, roasted asparagus, dinner rolls, strawberry shortcake.
Change of plans due to the finicky taste buds of my menfolk.

Ham with Aretha Franklin's glaze recipe (I wanted lamb )
Scalloped potatoes (Southern Living cookbook)
Roasted Asparagus
Dinner Rolls (hubby will make these in the bread maker)
Strawberry Shortcake

Old 04-01-2010, 06:09 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,600,981 times
Wait a minute! Asparagus tart?!?!? Recipe please...

Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 PM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
I have not tried either recipe before, but the asparagus tart is Martha Stewart, and the Gingerale Salad I got off the internet...The salad was meant to go with Ham, but even after I switched to roast beef, I still decided to try it. I think the tart sounds super easy and a new way to serve asparagus.

Asparagus Tart

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Flour
2 cups shredded gruyere cheese (or fontina)
1 1/2# fresh asparagus
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400
Roll out pastry to 16"x10". Place on baking sheet. Pierce with fork. Bake 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
Cut asparagus stalks to fit crosswise on pastry, alternating ends, so you have a uniform row of lined up asparagus on top of the cheese. Brush with olive oil.
Return to oven and bake until the asparagus is tender. 20-30 minutes

Gingerale Salad

1 1/2 env gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1/2 c hot pineapple juice
1/4 c lemon juice
2 T sugar
1 c gingerale
1/2 c grapes
1/2 c pineapple chunks
1/2 c chopped apple
2 T crystalized candied ginger

Dissolve gelatin in cold water, stir in pineapple juice, then the remaining juices and sugar. Chill in a mold til it is partially set. Fold in fruits and chill until firm. Unmold.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:15 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,169,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not tried either recipe before, but the asparagus tart is Martha Stewart, and the Gingerale Salad I got off the internet...The salad was meant to go with Ham, but even after I switched to roast beef, I still decided to try it. I think the tart sounds super easy and a new way to serve asparagus.

Asparagus Tart

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Flour
2 cups shredded gruyere cheese (or fontina)
1 1/2# fresh asparagus
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400
Roll out pastry to 16"x10". Place on baking sheet. Pierce with fork. Bake 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
Cut asparagus stalks to fit crosswise on pastry, alternating ends, so you have a uniform row of lined up asparagus on top of the cheese. Brush with olive oil.
Return to oven and bake until the asparagus is tender. 20-30 minutes

Gingerale Salad

1 1/2 env gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1/2 c hot pineapple juice
1/4 c lemon juice
2 T sugar
1 c gingerale
1/2 c grapes
1/2 c pineapple chunks
1/2 c chopped apple
2 T crystalized candied ginger

Dissolve gelatin in cold water, stir in pineapple juice, then the remaining juices and sugar. Chill in a mold til it is partially set. Fold in fruits and chill until firm. Unmold.
Thank you so much! I guess we will be guppies and a few more, but sounds delicious and different with asparagus...maybe with a bit of lemon pepper or lemon juice, and maybe some diced tomatoes and red onion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink