U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 08:23 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times

Advertisements

No Easter menu at my house, but the Pesach Seder at my parents' house was wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,165,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No Easter menu at my house, but the Pesach Seder at my parents' house was wonderful.
What did you have

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,596,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not tried either recipe before, but the asparagus tart is Martha Stewart, and the Gingerale Salad I got off the internet...The salad was meant to go with Ham, but even after I switched to roast beef, I still decided to try it. I think the tart sounds super easy and a new way to serve asparagus.

Asparagus Tart

1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Flour
2 cups shredded gruyere cheese (or fontina)
1 1/2# fresh asparagus
1 T olive oil
salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400
Roll out pastry to 16"x10". Place on baking sheet. Pierce with fork. Bake 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
Cut asparagus stalks to fit crosswise on pastry, alternating ends, so you have a uniform row of lined up asparagus on top of the cheese. Brush with olive oil.
Return to oven and bake until the asparagus is tender. 20-30 minutes

Gingerale Salad

1 1/2 env gelatin
1/4 c cold water
1/2 c hot pineapple juice
1/4 c lemon juice
2 T sugar
1 c gingerale
1/2 c grapes
1/2 c pineapple chunks
1/2 c chopped apple
2 T crystalized candied ginger

Dissolve gelatin in cold water, stir in pineapple juice, then the remaining juices and sugar. Chill in a mold til it is partially set. Fold in fruits and chill until firm. Unmold.
That tarts sounds wonderful! The salad sounds good too and would be a great way to use up some of the crystalized ginger I bought for turkey brine that only gets used once a year.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:54 AM

34,530 posts, read 42,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We're having matzo ball soup with our Easter dinner, in keeping with the season. Just the box kind though.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:05 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
What did you have
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We're having matzo ball soup with our Easter dinner, in keeping with the season. Just the box kind though.
The usual...matzo ball soup, gefilte fish (though my mom's is REALLY good), potatoes, macaroons and dried fruit compote for dessert; normal stuff!

Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM

3,367 posts, read 9,863,452 times
My granmother used to make beautifully decorated pies which looked really wonderful - she would cut out pastry flowers and leaves, roll tiny little egg-shaped balls and glaze with egg so it came out really glossy and shiny.

She always made a creamy ham and turkey pie, with mashed potatoes, it was lovely!

She made this special meal for us kids when we visited at Easter because she couldn't afford big cuts of ham, lamb etc ... I didn't realise at the time - I thought it was much more fun than a slab of meat!

She also made a chocolate blancmange dessert rabbit on a field of grass (green jello) with smartie flowers - fantastic! And currant and sugar bags - yum!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:27 AM

850 posts, read 263,907 times
We're going to have paella for this year

Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,153,023 times
Pancakes! You can even add a little spring like food coloring to them so they seem festive and Easter egg like. I've posted my pancake recipe on here before so you can even make them from scratch and have enough mix left over for other meals.

Top them with frozen strawberries and whipped cream.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:17 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,887,652 times
I would say bacon, eggs and pancakes. If you have a bunny shaped cookie cutter you can make use them on the pancakes. If you have a Dollar Tree near by they have so many cool things you can fill easter baskets with.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 AM

17 posts, read 29,386 times
Home made potato salad & deviled eggs to add to your ham. Eggs (at Aldi, also) are less than $1.50, potatoes with some green onions, mayo, mustard, celery and eggs - not that expensive and you'll have plenty of leftovers. Who can beat home made rolls (flour, water, yeast a little salt/sugar)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink